World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-02 14:18:00

nyokai
shihan
Website

individual Meian pieces

There have been several requests lately for the Jin Nyodo notation for individual pieces. Typically, a teacher gives you the music when you learn that piece, and typically, you don't learn a particular piece until the teacher says it is time to learn it.

However, maybe we can modernize a little.

For students at an intermediate or higher level in ANY lineage, I would be happy to teach individual Meian pieces via the internet, including sending you a PDF of the notation to supplement the online lesson. In other words, no need to sign up as an ongoing student of mine -- just say you want to learn a particular piece. Of course I will not teach students who already have an ongoing in-person teacher in my lineage (Meian/Jin Nyodo). And again, you need to be at a level where this will actually work. This approach is probably best for Dokyoku or Kinko students who have been studying several years and want to get a different perspective, or who have fallen in love with a particular Meian piece. This is somewhat similar to learning a piece from a different tradition at a workshop or camp.

This way you can get the notation AND a good understanding of the music, including the many subtle techniques that are not fully indicated or indicated very cryptically.

Please email me directly if interested.

#2 2007-12-02 16:19:03

amokrun

Re: individual Meian pieces

nyokai wrote:

For students at an intermediate or higher level in ANY lineage, I would be happy to teach individual Meian pieces via the internet, including sending you a PDF of the notation to supplement the online lesson. In other words, no need to sign up as an ongoing student of mine -- just say you want to learn a particular piece. Of course I will not teach students who already have an ongoing in-person teacher in my lineage (Meian/Jin Nyodo). And again, you need to be at a level where this will actually work. This approach is probably best for Dokyoku or Kinko students who have been studying several years and want to get a different perspective, or who have fallen in love with a particular Meian piece. This is somewhat similar to learning a piece from a different tradition at a workshop or camp.

Sounds quite interesting. It will most likely be a while for me before I qualify for such a thing with lessons being scarce here and all so I unfortunately can't benefit from this yet. I do have one question, however. Is there a list of pieces you teach available somewhere? It might also be very useful to have a rough idea of how difficult the pieces are to learn so that one won't ask for the most difficult piece right away just because it sounded really nice.

#3 2007-12-02 17:53:43

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: individual Meian pieces

amokrun wrote:

Is there a list of pieces you teach available somewhere? It might also be very useful to have a rough idea of how difficult the pieces are to learn so that one won't ask for the most difficult piece right away just because it sounded really nice.

Well, I don't like to call pieces easy or hard, since even the simplest piece has nuances that can take a lifetime to explore, and sometimes pieces with the most technical flash are not that hard on other levels. But very VERY roughly, here's how it might look from "easiest" to "hardest":

Choshi
Daiwa Gaku
Kyorei
Banshiki
Darani
Murasaki Reibo
Kumoijishi
Horai
Kyo Choshi
Yamata Choshi
Sogei no Kyoku
Banji
Sashi
Sanya Sugagaki
Azuma no Kyoku
Hi-Fu-Mi Hachikaeshi
Takiochi
Akita Sugagaki
Koku
Mukaiji
Ajikan
Yugure no Kyoku
Mukaiji Reibo
Bashiki Cho
Shin Kyorei
Ifu Sashi
Renbo Nagashi
Sokaku Reibo
Futaiken Sanya
Futaiken Reibo
Echigo Sanya
Jinbo Sanya
Shoganken Reibo
Betsuden Echigo Sanya
Shika no Tone
Nezasaha Shirabe
Sagariha
Matsukaze
Nagashi Reibo
Nezasaha Koku
Nezasaha Hachikaeshi
Tori
Kado Tsuke
Sanya Seiran
Shishi no Kyoku (Nezasaha)
Shirabe ura
Matsukaze ura
Jyaku Shin
Fudaiji Tsuru no Sugomori
Renpo Ken Tsuru no Sugomori
Futaiken Tsuru no Sugomori
Mujushin Kyoku

I'm sure I'm leaving some out -- I also grouped the Nezasaha pieces together, even though their difficulty varies. I also left a few Kinko pieces on the list (Yugure, Shika no Tone, Banshiki Cho, etc.) in addition to the Meian -- this might help give some idea of the difficulty level by reference. The list is NOT the order in which I usually teach.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nyokai (2007-12-02 18:32:16)

Board footer