Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-03 09:03:54

TC

Greetings from MD -USA

Hi all -
I've been reading this forum for a year, so I figured it was time to introduce myself.   I began studying shakuhachi music just over a year ago and I am fascinated by the potential of this instrument with only five holes.  Prior to that, I played the guitar for 15 years or so.  I suppose my real connection with bamboo began almost 30 years ago with alto sax in the school band.  I still have a sax and blow occasionally, but you just can't meri like you can on the shakuhachi.  I admit to being a bit schizophrenic with all the instrument swapping (did I mention I also play the whistle?) but something about the shakuhachi feels familiar and comfortable.  Hopefully i will continue to learn on this instrument or drive my teacher crazy, one or the other.   
By the way, the sharing of information here is exceptional.  Kudos to all the moderators.
Tom

#2 2008-08-15 23:23:46

Bryan Gall

Re: Greetings from MD -USA

Tom, where in Maryland are you?
Bryan
Stevensville, MD (Kent Island)

#3 2008-08-16 17:00:49

Dun Romin

Hi Tom, guess there are much of us who tried -sometimes a lot of- different instruments before they came at ease, founding everything they searched for in the shakuhachi. So, please join the club.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#4 2008-08-16 22:07:33

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Welcome to the forum, Tom.  I started with trumpet and then F horn years before coming across shakuhachi; good luck with those meris.

Board footer