Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-04 16:48:53

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Fingerprinting and Picture ID of all visitors WTF?

To protect from terrorism???

Hahaha not really just an excuse to hide the fact they don’t know how to deal with the immigration problems they have.

Well. I am not going to deny that the Japanese are racists but in my opinion their racism mostly stems out of sheer stupidity and ignorance that is mostly due to the fact that they are a island nation and never had to deal with immigration either by choice or an imposed type of immigration.

For example their whole immigrations law is a sham. Their law looks very strict and is aimed at protecting their country which is all good BUT the main issue is the fact that for years now the bulk of immigration that was allowed in Japan was what they call of the entertainment type. What does that mean? Strippers, prostitutes etc… Now all those immigrants were mostly brought in Japan by organized crime and the only type of a world they get to know in Japan is a world of crime and extortion etc. Japan now has issues with a lot of those people that stayed in Japan after their contract ended either because they got married with a Japanese or because they stayed illegally in the country. Also many of those type of immigrants also got their family members to get in Japan legally or illegally which adds to all the issue they have and also gang of foreign criminals even outdoing the national Yakuza or at best working as their underdog.

Now to show my point that Japanese don’t know how to deal with foreigners here it goes. So they said well ok we have a problem so lets take some measures to prevent undesirable people to get or come back to Japan. WOW GREAT THINKING EXCEPT the application of the whole fingerprinting and picture at the airport in Japan is totally flawed and will only make Japanese look like a bunch of idiots and the day that this bounces back when they make a mistake they will have to take the flack for it.

I have no real issues with getting my prints and picture taken at the airport. So that they can see I am not on the Interpol list or that I did not cause or was not involved in any troubles on my previous stays in Japan. This makes sense and is a good measure.

What I DO have a real issue is that after you get in Japan and you scan clean they will still keep you Picture and fingerprints in their database. Why? Are we all criminals? They have no rights or need to keep your prints after we scanned clean and that we did not do any troubles and left Japan. They should just delete our file from the database after we leave the country or let’s say 6 months after we left and no crimes were pinned to us.

I feel that keeping our prints and pictures forever is very dangerous since there can and will be data leaks mistakes etc in the future and this will be to the detriment of the individual framed for it and also to the detriment of all Japanese people. What the heck happened to the Yokoso Japan policy  (Welcome to Japan Policy)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#2 2007-12-04 17:07:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Fingerprinting and Picture ID of all visitors WTF?

Hey good one Gishin,

Maybe they're playing "monkey see, monkey do" to try to please some of the Western governments in their equally futile, random and ineffective "War on Terrorism" methods.

Is it racism or nationalism? I suppose in the case of Japan they are both the same thing. They certainly can be racists to such an extreme that they don't even realize that it's racism. A friend of mine wanted to buy a shakuhachi recently and the owner said, "It is for sale but I do not want to sell it to a gaijin". Without any sense of embarrassment and as if it was a normal statement. Imagine that in America! "Sorry sir, I will not sell this Fender Stratocaster to a Negro." LOL.

Gishin check your email I sent you a question.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-12-04 18:19:29

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

...  Imagine that in America! "Sorry sir, I will not sell this Fender Stratocaster to a Negro." LOL.

Oh god, we may never have heard Buddy Guy.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2007-12-05 02:05:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

...  Imagine that in America! "Sorry sir, I will not sell this Fender Stratocaster to a Negro." LOL.

Oh god, we may never have heard Buddy Guy.

That would be terrible.

On the other hand if we never heard Buddy Guy then we would not have heard Clapton and that's.......OK I'll shut up and stick to shakuhachi. wink

#5 2007-12-05 22:26:03

Seth

My apologies for steering this in a serious direction:

Tairaku wrote:

"It is for sale but I do not want to sell it to a gaijin".

Interesting someone said this... In all seriousness I am surprised this is not said to gaijin buying antique shakuhachi more often.   In many Asian countries there are many laws and taboos against foreigners purchasing antiques and taking them out of the country.  This is a backlash to the colonial era when the Brits and Americans basically grabbed any antique they could get their hands on and shipped it back home.  (Ever go to the 'British Musuem' in London?  There is nothing British in it at all - it should really be called the Stolen Foreign Artifact Museum.)  If you ever visit Burma tour guides will rattle off countless horrible examples of foreigners looting old Buddhist temples, in some cases even tearing entire mosaics out of the walls for sale back home.   In India it is simply illegal to export any art item older than 100 years out of the country. 

But nowadays in some countries this is implemented to an extreme.  An acquantince of mine was once held at an airport in India by the police for exporting a legally purchased shipment of modern indian instruments - and I recently purchased a buddha in Thailand - a modern wooden one - and was not allowed to take it out of the country.

In the context of antique/vintage shakuhachi I have been surprised that the Japanese have been so lax about letting so many classic one of a kind instruments out of the country.  The older shakuhachi are, after all, national treasures that will never really ever be replaced.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with us  gaijin buying and treasuring these instruments, but it just strikes me as peculiar that the Japanese are not more vigilant of trying to keep these instruments as part of their collective heritage.

Last edited by Seth (2007-12-05 22:27:02)

#6 2007-12-06 06:16:20

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

For the whole antiques thing in Japan it would be nice if someone with the knowledge would share a bit of light on the situation.

As far as I know for any cultural stuff unless the item is owned by a temple museum or is on a list of cultural assets then when getting out of the country they don’t check for papers license of export etc. Unless it’s a sword.

Since I use to collect and trade in antique Japanese swords and armors for a while it seems that only swords require you to have a export paper that proves the sword is not a super special cultural property when you take it out of the country. If other have more info about other items than swords it would be nice to know.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#7 2007-12-06 07:02:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

To paraphase conversations in other topics, it does not matter who plays it or where, but how it's played.

Musical instruments are not antiques, they are instruments and they want to be loved and played, preferably well. They do not think about race or geography.

Yo Yo Ma's Stradivarius cello is much happier where it is than in the hands of an Italian who can't play it.

#8 2007-12-06 08:01:16

Seth

Tairaku wrote:

Musical instruments are not antiques, they are instruments and they want to be loved and played, preferably well. They do not think about race or geography.

Yo Yo Ma's Stradivarius cello is much happier where it is than in the hands of an Italian who can't play it.

Up until now I had taken into account the desire of gaijin to play antique shakuhachi, and the worries Japanese might have over their national treasures being lured beyond their borders - but, yes, I neglected to take into account the desire of the shakuhachi itself to get itself into the best hands it can!   And all joking aside, that is a pretty serious consideration - any creative tool should be in the hands of the person who can make the most of it.   

I would argue, however, that shakuhachi, with the sad exception of the yuu, are not just musical instruments, they are peices of art as well.  Arguably, they are even peices of VISUAL art.  I have seen many that left me mesmerized simply by their appearance.     I hear that nowadays in Japan the price of a shakuhachi may actually be more dependant on its physical appearance than on its musical ability.

#9 2007-12-06 08:16:00

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Seth wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Up until now I had taken into account the desire of gaijin to play antique shakuhachi, and the worries Japanese might have over their national treasures being lured beyond their borders - but, yes, I neglected to take into account the desire of the shakuhachi itself to get itself into the best hands it can!   And all joking aside, that is a pretty serious consideration - any creative tool should be in the hands of the person who can make the most of it.   

I would argue, however, that shakuhachi, with the sad exception of the yuu, are not just musical instruments, they are peices of art as well.  Arguably, they are even peices of VISUAL art.  I have seen many that left me mesmerized simply by their appearance.     I hear that nowadays in Japan the price of a shakuhachi may actually be more dependant on its physical appearance than on its musical ability.

As far as I know there is no Shakuhachi that have been declared national treasures except the stuff in the Shosoin in Nara.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#10 2007-12-06 10:15:18

Seth

Gishin wrote:

As far as I know there is no Shakuhachi that have been declared national treasures except the stuff in the Shosoin in Nara.

Sorry...I didn't mean National Treasures in the official Japanese sense but rather national treasures in the way people casually use the term to refer to precious objects that are generally seen as part of their cultural heritage.

(Side question: does any other nation on earth have the practice of declaring Living National Treasures?)

#11 2007-12-06 11:26:42

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Seth wrote:

Gishin wrote:

Sorry...I didn't mean National Treasures in the official Japanese sense but rather national treasures in the way people casually use the term to refer to precious objects that are generally seen as part of their cultural heritage.

(Side question: does any other nation on earth have the practice of declaring Living National Treasures?)

Sure no problem.

Now as far as other nations being on the national treasure train. I know that South-korea has the same type of system that the Japanese have for both antiques like sowrds pottery etc. and also for people that are still making and transmitting old traditional arts.

Also China has this type of system as well but I am unsure as to exactly how it is implemented. For this I will need to ask the wife about it.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#12 2007-12-06 14:19:03

dstone
Website

Seth wrote:

Side question: does any other nation on earth have the practice of declaring Living National Treasures?)

Yes.  The government of Brazil declared Pelé a national treasure during his career peak so he couldn't be snatched up by European teams.  Strange but true.  Not sure what Pelé had to say about this.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#13 2007-12-06 14:39:56

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Seth wrote:

Gishin wrote:

Sure shakuhachi are musical instruments AND beautiful works of art. But so are Pre-CBS Fender guitars and basses and the Japanese ran off with a lot of those and Gibsons and Martins and Epiphones, etc. when they had their economic boom. And then put them in glass cases and didn't play them. This is one of the reasons you now have to pay $30,000 for one of them, or more. I will not shed too many tears for shakuhachi leaving Japan as long as they have such quaint customs as cremating the shakuhachi along with the player or just letting shakuhachi sit around unplayed until they crack and disintegrate because they want to hold onto it as a family memento. I have a Japanese friend whose father was a shakuhachi player and died. I told the guy, "Give me his flute, I'll play it or find someone who wants to play it." He wanted to but the rest of the family wanted to hold onto it as a souvenir. Then it cracked to smithereens.

Let me say it again: Instruments are meant to be PLAYED.

This is the difference between an instrument and other pieces of art such as sculptures or paintings. They can just sit around and they are serving their purpose.

#14 2007-12-06 15:18:45

Seth

Tairaku wrote:

He wanted to but the rest of the family wanted to hold onto it as a souvenir. Then it cracked to smithereens.

OK - powerful point.   Consider me a convert.

In fact, I now state that shakuhachi loving gaijin everywhere have a moral obligation to get as many antique shakuhachi out of the hands of underserving sloths - Japanese or otherwise- who are not going to actually play the instruments in their possession!

#15 2007-12-06 15:37:02

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Seth wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

He wanted to but the rest of the family wanted to hold onto it as a souvenir. Then it cracked to smithereens.

OK - powerful point.   Consider me a convert.

In fact, I now state that shakuhachi loving gaijin everywhere have a moral obligation to get as many antique shakuhachi out of the hands of underserving sloths - Japanese or otherwise- who are not going to actually play the instruments in their possession!

Spread the love. I think it's great that shakuhachi is spreading around the world. The sound of it affects people everywhere even if it's not part of their cultural context.

#16 2007-12-06 17:03:46

Lorka

The sound of the shakuhachi sure does have an affect on the people who hear it.  When I first heard the shakuhachi I was floored by the simple, honest, penetrating beauty of the sound.  It was like a stream of clear, sparkling, pure water.  Refreshing and cool.  From that moment on I decided that I would one day make poems of sound with this instrument and use it as a way of expressing (and learning about) myself. 

And yes, I agree with the points made above.  The instrument desires to be played, and approached with a respectful sense of humility.  I have been sick as a dog for last week and a half and I chose not to play my bamboo jinashi shakuhachi.  For some reason it felt wrong to breathe infected air into the bamboo.  I know, it may be silly of me.  But I honestly worried for the health of the instrument.  I did not take the same attitude toward my plastic Yuu (which regularly gets taken into the bathtub).  Many times during the last week or so I have looked at the flute and felt bad for neglecting it, but now I am better.  Okay, silly anecdote over. 

Back to something approaching a point (sorry I ramble).  I agree that shakuhachi should be in the best hands, and I would add that they should be bonded with those who seek them as companions, and not end up as showpieces or mere possessions. 

I think also that if a flute is with someone who really appreciates the instrument and approaches it with a respectful attitude (as one would approach a teacher), then that's okay too.  I am not the best.  In fact, I am still a beginner with just under one year of self-taught experience, but I feel very appreciative of the flutes that I have and the one which I will have soon (a big, wide 2.8 taimu).  I totally don't deserve this flute, as it is way above and beyond my playing ability.  Probably it is not in the best hands (certainly it could be in better hands than mine), but I will strive to learn from it, and be humble.  The bamboo is a teacher as well as a friend.

Last edited by Lorka (2007-12-06 17:10:42)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#17 2007-12-06 17:51:33

Seth

This thread is all over the place - but I mean that in the positive sense.

Lorka wrote:

I totally don't deserve this flute, as it is way above and beyond my playing ability.

One of the most moving shakuhachi listening experiences I ever had was hearing a fellow student, gravely ill with lung cancer, play at the Brooklyn Cherry Blossom festival.  His playing ability was more than just impaired, it was almost non-existent.  But the sincerity of his playing was obvious and tremendously captivating.  It was a musical moment I will always remember.   

The experience provided me a learning lesson that I can only rarely actually internalize and put into practice:  sincerity and focus in playing is actually more important than ability.   

So realize that there are more ways than one in which one can become worthy of an instrument.

#18 2007-12-15 03:03:22

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Well back to the main topic I guess.

Here is a link to a video about the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Uah07zSNQ

New York Times article
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/world … ref=slogin

Great Video blog from Youtbe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXs7C9u9k0U

Also a very informative video on what REAL issues Japan has with immigration and NOT terrorism as they claim or maybe immigration for them IS terrorism wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIRIVN9KXM

My outtake on this would be to NOT GO TO JAPAN AT ALL!

Also when we meet Japanese teachers coming to visit or any other Japanese individuals we should make them feel exactly what is wrong with their little island country.

If Japan wants to really protect itself from terrorists then there are much better measures than this one or if they want to use the fingerprinting method they should erase our files after we cleared and not keep them in their database. Why keep the files of a non criminal on their Database? For them to make mistakes and make you pay for it in the future?

Japanese on many points are hypocrites! As I said earlier it is not about terrorism! Hell the only real terrorism they had was by the Sarin gas attack which was done by all 100% Japanese natives.

The issue mostly is about illegal immigration and to prevent people that have been deported from reentering the country. But even this is quite futile since most illegal immigrants in Japan now are Chinese and will come illegally by Ship from Either Mainland China or Taiwan.

So what could they do to prevent this?
Humm maybe having a proper immigration law instead of the Crap they have now. Not center their immigration on what they call entertainment (Sex trade).

When successfully received as an immigrant or worker to make sure the immigration law IS APPLIED compared to not being respected as seen so many times where people have been refused an apartment or other services because they are non Japanese.

Also have more strict laws applied to people who have been deported some Jail time etc.. to be more dissuasive and MOSTLY jail time for ANY Japanese hiring helping or working with etc. any illegal worker. NO Japanese has really been convicted or jailed for that YET. But again who brings and who needs and gives jobs to illegal immigrants Japanese themselves.

Japan needs to wake up and open in the right fashion because THEY DO HAVE A PROBLEM. They have an aging population and will need immigration to fill that gap.

Now do I really have any issue with Japan. Actually NO I love the place and its people. Did I ever have any troubles in Japan YES but nothing to really make a fuss with. But I do know people that were not under a teacher or temple really have a hard time and also spoke with some legal Chinese workers in Kyoto and they also said that they are having a hard time trying to make a living there and dealing with many of their bullshit.

So to resume all this Japan is indeed one of the most biased and racist country in the world but the issue with this is that 90% of visitors or people involved in traditional stuff will not see it because on the front Japanese are polite and well mannered so it is very hard to see that stuff. But I was feeling that this was

Last edited by Gishin (2007-12-15 03:25:58)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#19 2007-12-17 19:00:46

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Very Very Very intersitng article full of facts.

It does seem that the Japan I love is really falling back into racism and stupidity and will lose a lot of tourism and business in the near futur not speaking of losing face on a wider scale since because of the new fingerprinting thing all kinds of old and current story on how badly they treat immigrants of other Asian country like Korea and China will be exposed to the general public as opposed to only Japanese or pople that have lived in Japan. So the immage of the all polite and honest Japanese is going to be stained internationaly.

Anyway this article is one of the best I have read on the subject.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/rss/fl20071218zg.html

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#20 2007-12-17 19:48:22

dstone
Website

Gishin wrote:

Very Very Very intersitng article full of facts.

Very informative article, thanks.  Though I admit my eyes glaze over a bit when they discuss finer points of Japanese parties, politicians, and their leanings.  I'm ignorant to those things and it would take me much back-research to really understand where some agendas are coming from.

Gishin wrote:

It does seem that the Japan I love is really falling back into racism and stupidity ...

Part of me hopes this is more "stupidity" than "racism".  Perhaps because I also love Japan and all the people I know there so much and recently returned from another great month there without issue.

So do you think it's racism?  Or merely fear/protection against foreign influence?  (For some reason, I like to believe the latter is less offensive and more "hopeful" -- not sure why, though.)

A reasonable test for this would be both the official (government and border policy) as well as on-the-street (average citizens') attitudes towards people of 100% Japanese genetic heritage, but who have been a generation or two removed from Japanese citizenship and residence. 

e.g. a Canadian, born in Canada, to Canadian parents, but who is 100% "Japanese" from a genetic and appearance perspective...  would this person have any more privilege in Japanese society or border crossing than, say, me?  If they don't, then I'm inclined to say that the attitude isn't actually racism.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#21 2007-12-17 21:40:57

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Well it is both actually.

For the stupidity side we have the fact that Japan although very open to foreign stuff (Food, movies fashion etc.) they still have an issue and cannot really deal with foreigners for the most part and are still full of crazy ideas as to the fact Japanese blood is ever so special etc. etc. I could go on and on with examples of some of the crazy shit they sometimes come up with. So in general other than having been to other countries or liking to eat some ADAPTED to Japanese needs foreign food the average Japanese citizen has no freaking idea how to deal with a foreigner at work or as a neighbor.

Now the racist part stems out of the stupidity part. If the stupidity part was left alone and politicians would not use this to build up fear and hate towards foreigner then there would be more hope.

As far as being racist THEY ARE! If you are a white foreigner then most likely all will be ok if you decide to go live there but you will still have to maybe deal with being refused renting an apartment etc. but will still be able to find a way to make a decent living.

Now when it comes to people of with darker skin African or Indian then the trouble starts but still if you have an education and a reason to be in Japan and are not an illegal alien then it should be doable.

The REAL trouble starts if you are an immigrant either being Legal or illegal from another Asian country then you will be most likely treated like pure crap. Just search around a bit and you will easily find stories of how bad they are still treating Korean and Chinese in Japan.

Now for all visitors going to Japan all should be perfect unless you are a complete jackass most visitors will not have any clue of how racist they can be. Thso facts will only be taked about by immigrants to Japan themselves or people that have lived there long enough to see all this.

Now for you test thing. It would be interesting to see that but I have a sneaking suspicion that as soon as you are not born or still holder of a Japanese passport then they will treat you as an impure. Just to give you a funny example take the ex Prime minister of Peru his name is Alberto Fujimori. Now because he is not a Japanese citizen when they show his name in the news they will use katakana for both his First name and even his family name FUJIMORI that as far as I know HAS kanji for it. So they want to make it clear that he is NOT a Japanese by using katakana for his first and last name. So this show how they also discriminate even among their own supposed pure ethnical group.

We can also use the example of the Buraku (Subhuman cast in Edo period) also that are still not treated as equal as of today in Japan and are refused jobs and multiple other things even if the law forbids this type of treatment. Even if they try to enforce the law then the lawyers bureaucrats etc.. make it a point to render their efforts useless by using all kinds of strategies to win the fight in a dirty way.

Just try to go to some Hostess bars in Osaka and Kyoto and you will see on many occasions that right on the front door it is clearly written NO FOREIGNERS (This is also against the law but is still not enforced)

The same thing might be applied when trying to go to some high priced Onsen (Hot springs) and even worst if you have tattoos they will refuse you entry to many public baths which is also illegal to do but they still do it.

On many points this is very sad to see such things like this happen in a country where ZEN is supposedly present deep in their culture. Yes it is but mostly for the esthetical culture when it really comes down to the real practice they still don’t quite get it yet and many Roshi in Japan will say this as well.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#22 2007-12-17 22:56:40

Zakarius

I could be wrong, but I think the point Darren was trying to make is that in light of your comments, perhaps 'overly-nationalistic' would be a better term than 'racist' -- you also mentioned that people who were ethnically Japanese but not raised within their borders were also treated like outsiders. Strong nationalism can indeed be a tough thing to deal with (esp. when that 'us versus them' attitude comes to the fore).

Though the situation here in Taiwan is quite different, generally speaking, foreigners who make an effort to learn the language & culture fare much better than those who don't -- I think it's a measure of mutual respect. Is this somewhat true in Japan, as well?

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#23 2007-12-17 23:27:55

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Well I will not sugarcoat it for you all and might burst some peoples bubble but Japanese people are very racist and that's it.

Now not all Japanese people are this way but any foreigner that has lived in Japan long enough can testify on this one.

lets not make excuses trying to dig them out if it by saying its not this bad they are just missunderstood or this is their culture what they do is just wrong they know it and they dont care. This is what they are and altough things had improved a lot over the years the recent policy are setting them back 20 years behind and even more on many other points.

This will only result in making many Koreans and Chinese be able to prove their point about them being so unfairly treated in Japan now is this not racism IT SURE IS.

Is refusing to rent an appartment on a foreigner only because he is not a Japanese NOT RACISM?

Is preventing pople from going to certain bars or Hot sroings or even public only because they are foreigner's NOT RACISM?

Please read or read again the link to the article that I had put in my last post and you will clealry see that this is not nationalism this is just plain racism. I just hope that the last events with their new policy that they have will bring the spotlight on them and make them feel shamful about it as a nation that claims to be modern and opened to the world.

For Japanese people not losing face is primordial so if with a bit of pushing and bad publicity they somehow start to lose face internationally with their crappy anti terrorist and racist behavior towards their foreign residents and immigrants this will most likely trigger some adjustment and changes and make it all better in the end.

Last edited by Gishin (2007-12-18 00:15:48)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#24 2007-12-18 08:07:44

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Here is a very clean and clear rundown of the situation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan

Also in the same department here is an article about human rights in Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Japan

So my point here is to show what kind if dark stuff the Japanese have been hding in their closet for years and that most foreigner visiting or into Japanese culture did not really know. By doing this and encouraging other to denounce stuff like this I hope it will help to make them understand that stuff like this cannot go on anymore and that its about time for them to wake up smell the coffee and learn they are not alone in this world and start building proper policies like for example Canada or Australia (Still not perfect but way better than Japan).

Quote from the article on Human rights in Japan: Article 14 of the Constitution of Japan states that all people (English version) or citizens (Japanese version) are equal under the law, and they cannot be discriminated against politically, economically, or socially on the basis of race, belief, sex, or social or other background. However, Japan does not have human rights legislation which enforces or penalizes discriminatory activities committed by citizens, businesses, or non-governmental organizations. The country does not have specific hate crime laws and so racism and hate-motivated offenses such as assault, vandalism, and robbery are prosecuted as regular crimes.

Attempts have been made in the Diet to enact human rights legislation.In 2002, a draft was submitted to the House of Representatives, but did not reach a vote.Had the law passed, it would have set up a Human Rights Commission to investigate, name and shame, or financially penalize discriminatory practices as well as hate speech committed by private citizens or establishments.Though the anti-discrimination clause raised little objection, the anti-hate speech clause received very hostile reception from Japanese media. In 2005, the ruling coalition government attempted to resubmit a revised version of the draft which somewhat limited the application of hate speech clause, but it still failed to reach a consensus within the ruling Liberal Democratic Party.

Quote from the article on crime statistics (323 crimes commited by foreigners and this triggers their lets protect the emperor policy hahaha): Within these statistics, Japanese committed 6,925 violent crimes, of which 2,531 were arson or rape, while foreigners committed 323 violent crimes, but only 42 cases are classified as arson or rape.[citation needed] Foreigners, however, were more likely to commit crimes in groups. About 61.5% of crimes committed by foreigners had one or more accomplice, while only 18.6% of crimes committed by Japanese were in groups.

However, the former head of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government's Emergency Public Safety Task Force, Hiroshi Kubo, published a book disputing foreign crime statistics, suggesting that such statistics were being manipulated by politicians for political gain.He suggested, for example, that including visa violations in crime statistics is misleading. He also said that the crime rate in Tokyo is based on reported rather than actual crimes.

Last edited by Gishin (2007-12-18 08:25:33)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#25 2007-12-18 10:20:41

edosan
Edomologist

Nationalism and racism are merely two faces of the same coin.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer