Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-07 13:14:30

dreamofnobody

How kan pitch goes up

In my making experience I’ve noticed one thing. That is how kan pitch goes up in compliance with increase of tonehole diameter. It is goes up faster than otsu pitch. It seems it tries to catch up with otsu note pitch and outstrip it.
It is looks like that:
You can start a 4mm hole and kan pitch can be flatter(if we throw away octave difference) around half semitone than otsu pitch. Then you increase hole diameter and this difference goes smaller and smaller. Then I was working on my last flute’s 1st hole there was this: then hole was 9mm this difference was 10cents, I’ve enlarged it to 10mm and this difference became near 0cents. This case is just luck. So there can be situations there this difference will be -30 cents or +30 cents with 10mm hole, it is depends on a flute’s bore geometry and bore irregularities. All this post just about how note’s pitch goes up then you enlarge a hole in series.
What do you think about this thing? May be somebody can add something. Hope it can be helpful for somebody.

Last edited by dreamofnobody (2007-12-08 04:46:29)

flutemakerlab@gmail.com

#2 2007-12-08 15:47:53

Karmajampa
Website

Re: How kan pitch goes up

Are you drilling or burning your holes?
10mm is average size in my flutes.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#3 2007-12-09 15:30:13

dreamofnobody

Re: How kan pitch goes up

I'm start drilling whith small diameter (4-6mm), then increase a hole using different files. I'm talk not about average hole sizes, just about thing I've noticed and never heard about it before.

flutemakerlab@gmail.com

Board footer