Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-10 01:06:37

Jim Thompson

Greetings,
   I got involved with the shakuhachi while working as a saxophone player in the Shinsaibashi area of Osaka on and off for a period of time in the early 90's. When I returned to the U.S. (Los Angeles) I groped around for a teacher and had the extreme good fortune to wind up on the doorstep of Masakazu Yoshizawa. Thus began one of the richest musical experiences of my life. I stayed with Masa for 14 years until his recent passing and will be for ever indebted to him for enriching my life and music. I've been fortunate enough to get the nod to take over Masa's spot for some gigs. Notice I avoided the word replace. Masa cannot be replaced. I've been asked to step into some mighty large zoris. I'm overjoyed and scared all at once. It's that kind of adrenalin that drives you to be better than you would be under normal circumstances. Lucky me!
      I am now taking students in the Los Angeles area(studio in Santa Monica).
      I'm delighted to find this Shakuhachi community. I never really looked around or thought about it before but now with Masa gone I feel the need to be in contact with kindred spirits. If I can be of any assistance to anybody in any way don't hesitate to ask. I'll do the same.   Best to all.
                                                                              Jim

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#2 2007-12-10 19:19:05

axolotl
Website

Re: New Member

You guys call him Jim, but I call him 'Sensei'!  wink

Okay, I call him Jim as well. 

Jim, you're a brave one for stepping into Masa's place.  I sincerely hope that more and more students pop up, leading to a real good local community of shakuhachi players.

#3 2007-12-10 19:52:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: New Member

Good luck building the dojo and thanks for stepping up to the plate and transmitting your knowledge. We need more teachers in the West. smile

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer