Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-14 11:28:54

amokrun

Going to the World Shakuhachi Festival '08? Read this!

Greetings everyone. After thinking about this for a while I'm starting to think that I may be able to put together enough money to make it to the festival. I most certainly want to go and it basically comes down to flight prices and the like. Assuming that I manage to get the funds together I have some questions for those of you who are going.

Would anyone be interested in sharing a hotel room, hostel room or in the worst case scenario a bridge? I'm trying to cut costs as much as I can and this seems like a wonderful way to split the costs. Another advantage is that there would always be some people to talk with as well as someone who'd get lost in the city with me so it wouldn't be nearly as boring. Some of you forum people know a bit about me already but you'd be looking at spending time with a 23-year old student (or 24 at that point, just barely) who doesn't smoke or drink and who speaks horrible english. Another added bonus is that you can hear me play shakuhachi and feel better about your own skills afterwards. People keep telling me that I'm easy to get along with.

As far as the plane trip goes, is anyone from Europe going? It seems that all flights go through Frankfurt and then directly to Australia. It's a really, really long flight and I'm not sure if I want to watch that many movies. Having some company on the plane could literally be a life-saver. If someone is going from Europe or for whatever reason will book a flight that goes through Frankfurt we might be able to meet up at the airport.

I'd also love to hear from other forum lurkers who are going. Just meeting some of you would be really great. We chat in here all day long but I don't even know what any of you look like. I'll volunteer to play something so that everyone who thinks their playing isn't quite there yet can feel a lot better. Drop me a note and let me know if you can think of anything else that could be arranged.

#2 2007-12-14 22:40:15

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Going to the World Shakuhachi Festival '08? Read this!

Hello Amok,
I am of strong intention to go. I am blind so if someone walks into you or whacks your ankles with a white cane, say, "Kel, is that you ?" and it will most likely be so !
But I live in New Zealand, not too far from Sydney, so cannot share the plane journey.
And if I hear a shakuhachi with a Finnish accent I will ask, "Amok, is that you ?"
Though I know it is quite possible that many at the Festival are going to arrive 'jet-lagged' and will sound a little 'Finnish'd'.

Best,
Kel. §

Kia Kaha !

#3 2007-12-15 00:14:31

nomaD43

Karmajampa wrote:

many at the Festival are going to arrive 'jet-lagged' and will sound a little 'Finnish'd'.§

Kel,
That is the funniest line I have heard in a good long while.

Amok,
I would really like to go to the Festival, but I am not sure about money or time. If I do find the way to go, then I would really want to share a room. Aside from being cost effective, it is a great way to get to know someone from somewhere else in the world.
Like you, I am a student, don't smoke, rarely drink, play shakuhachi fairly poorly, though I don't have much of an accent and my Finnish is almost guaranteed to be infinitely worse than your English.
I am looking to finish school in March and then will need to get a job to pay off the exhorbitant student loans, this could cause a time problem. Few employers would want to hire someone that will be taking a vacation a couple of months after being hired. But, I think being 46 years old and having gone more than 14 years without a vacation, I think I fully deserve it.

I hope to see you all there, and if I hear a Kiwi accented shakuhachi with a white cane swinging from it, I will call out "Hello Kel, watch out for my knees!" smile

A stop in Frankfurt could be fun as well. I'm not sure how flights work from Georgia, USA to Sidney, Australia work, but having someone to talk shakuhachi with for a bunch of hours sounds ideal.

We'll have to see how things pan out.
Damon

Last edited by nomaD43 (2007-12-15 00:17:03)

#4 2007-12-15 02:45:48

caffeind

I dont know if youve seen the accomodation section under the homepage of the festival, but there is a list of places to stay, with hostels starting at around $35AUD, not so far from the venue.

Another option could be to check out couchsurfing.com or hospitalityclub.org and see if you can get some free accomodation in the inner city. Its probably more fun to stick together with other shakuhachi players though.

Im sure that anyone who comes here will not be lost and/or alone in the city... smile

Kel, my housemate was supposed to be teaching shakuhachi to a guy named Bruce who was also blind, living here in Sydney. Im not sure what happened with that student though.

#5 2007-12-15 11:42:35

Moran from Planet X
Website

Well, fellas, it is my pipe-dream to get to Oz in the summer of 2008, but please keep me informed of further ideas for inexpensive accommodations and collective ventures. I'm a great believer in the power of the collective.

Chris
xrismoran@hotmail.com

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#6 2007-12-15 14:01:05

amokrun

Chris Moran wrote:

Well, fellas, it is my pipe-dream to get to Oz in the summer of 2008, but please keep me informed of further ideas for inexpensive accommodations and collective ventures. I'm a great believer in the power of the collective.

The first thing I noticed when looking through the official site is that most of the really cheap hostels have rooms for four that tend to cost peanuts per night per person. I'm sure we could get together four people for a single room or even more so we can take a few of them. This way we could get the group together and share the costs nicely. Things like eating and such tend to also cost less when you have more people together.

I guess we should start putting together some kind of list of people who would be interested so we know what kind of group we are dealing with here. More people equals more options but also more planning. I have this feeling that cost will be a deciding factor for many that either makes or breaks the trip. If we can somehow come up with good enough plan for keeping costs down over there it might be possible for people who otherwise couldn't afford it to come as well.

#7 2007-12-15 19:55:43

nomaD43

Well, I was looking at some costs last night and I'm sure I could find a way to afford the Festival, accommodations and meals. The real problem is the airfare, the cheapest fare  I was able to find was over $2000. This is a very prohibitive cost for me. I don't think there is any way I could afford this trip.
Damon

#8 2007-12-15 22:11:51

Moran from Planet X
Website

amokrun wrote:

I'm sure we could get together four people for a single room or even more so we can take a few of them. This way we could get the group together and share the costs nicely. Things like eating and such tend to also cost less when you have more people together.

Excellent thinking. The big-hitters can go to the expensive sushi-bars, but the bohemians and proletarians can brown-bag it from Woolworth's. (I ate out of Woolworth's in Dublin, Ireland for the better part of a semester in college, many eons ago.)

nomaD43 wrote:

The real problem is the airfare, the cheapest fare  I was able to find was over $2000. This is a very prohibitive cost for me. I don't think there is any way I could afford this trip.

Yes, Atlanta to Sydney via Delta/Quantas is $1995, LAX to Sydney is $1650 via Quantas.

JFK to Sydney is a surprising $3400 via Cathay Pacific (you don't even want to look at Air New Zealand). I'd triple-check this price, it seems too high but that's what I'm finding in general searches. Quantas doesn't fly direct from JFK? What do I know? I live on the Left Coast.

London to Sydney is $2200 if you set your search for July 2008 ($2700 if you set your parameters for January 2008 to escape the English winter and bask in the Australian summer).

Helsinki to Sydney is about $2200 via British/Virgin.

I wonder if a travel agent wouldn't be helpful in booking small groups who would agree to fly out of LAX or Atlanta, JFK or London on the same day, same flight?

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-12-15 22:43:10)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#9 2007-12-15 23:46:04

amokrun

Chris Moran wrote:

Excellent thinking. The big-hitters can go to the expensive sushi-bars, but the bohemians and proletarians can brown-bag it from Woolworth's. (I ate out of Woolworth's in Dublin, Ireland for the better part of a semester in college, many eons ago.)

We may even be able to do better than that and still eat something that isn't grass from the backyard. If the hostel happens to have some kind of facilities for cooking we could easily enough cook our own meals there. I've been told that my sushi is quite edible and I can make a decent range of Japanese foods. I'd love to see what others can cook up as well.

nomaD43 wrote:

Helsinki to Sydney is about $2200 via British/Virgin.

The best route I got was something like going to Frankfurt from Helsinki and then using Qantas to fly directly to Sydney. I believe the route was priced at 1200 euros or so which is still under 2200 USD. Every single cheap flight from here seemed to go through Frankfurt no matter how you designed the route. For a while I tried to consider the possibility of flying to another country that is closer if I could get cheaper tickets to those places. Unfortunately Australia is so in middle of nowhere that there aren't really many good options. Besides, the ticket prices seemed to be rather strange when you tried to make a trip through China or something. Sometimes you'd save a lot of money by going through some Smalltown, Nowhere. My father who worked at Finnair for most of his life asked some friends of his who used to travel a lot if they had any ideas. I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

#10 2007-12-16 00:10:56

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

In case someone has not noticed, the US dollar has basically collapsed so flying anywhere from the US is unbelievably costly, right now.

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#11 2007-12-16 03:34:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

For those discussing the cost of the trip from America or Europe to Australia, I have an idea.

There are about 200 days left until the festival. If you take your shakuhachi around with you, komuso style, and blow until people give you $10 everyday until the festival, you'll have the plane fare and you'll be kick ass by the time you reach Sydney from daily blowing!

I am serious. Think about it. It's totally doable.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#12 2007-12-16 03:45:47

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Well on my side I will try my best to make it!

But with our first Child coming in April 2008 and also the building of our Dojo there will be a serious$$ issue.

Sounds like I will need to sell some bamboo or some of my old blades to make it.

Donations anyone for the building of the first Suizen Dojo in Quebec? wink

Was thinking to use the profits of the CD coming out to finance the trip and was even contemplating selling some of my handwritten calligraphy for funding the trip.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#13 2007-12-16 04:05:26

amokrun

Tairaku wrote:

There are about 200 days left until the festival. If you take your shakuhachi around with you, komuso style, and blow until people give you $10 everyday until the festival, you'll have the plane fare and you'll be kick ass by the time you reach Sydney from daily blowing!

Well, it's winter in here right now. Although right now it's still warm as far as winters go it only gets worse during the upcoming months. Taking a shakuhachi outside is not a viable idea unless it's one made out of wood or a Yuu. Making those $10s would get expensive real fast as the flutes I have start turning into splinters. I think that the komuso had the advantage of not having to play out in freezing temperatures.

Joking aside, I was kind of hoping to do just that on the upcoming summer as soon as it gets warm enough to take a shakuhachi out. Unfortunately it isn't soon enough to make a sizable contribution to my war chest. I think my original plan of eating nothing but ramen until then might work out better.

#14 2007-12-16 05:46:28

Moran from Planet X
Website

amokrun wrote:

Well, it's winter in here right now. Although right now it's still warm as far as winters go it only gets worse during the upcoming months.

What about taking it indoors to the pubs? You could probably make $20 a night just getting people to pay you NOT to play in their pubs, especially if of you focus on your kan register material like Kumoi Jishi.

Tairaku's idea is brilliant. Taken at its most literal, I could get a couple of pair of old knee-length gym socks on my shins and forearms, my old dark plaid bathrobe and bath slippers and steal my wife's battered pink plastic laundry basket for my tengai.  Thus decked out I could play on the streetcorners of downtown Claremont Village. Before the cops or the little men in white coats dragged me away I'm sure I could make off with a few bills each day.

#15 2007-12-16 05:54:50

amokrun

Chris Moran wrote:

What about taking it indoors to the pubs? You could probably make $20 a night just getting people to pay you NOT to play in their pubs, especially if of you focus on your kan register material like Kumoi Jishi.

It's a shame that Kumoi Jishi is the next piece I'll be starting on and therefore I cannot play it yet. Come to think of it, having no idea how the piece goes might actually help in this case. Still, this idea has the same problem as the last suggestions. Not only would I end up with some broken flutes, I'd also be looking at paying some hefty hospital bills. Somehow I get this feeling that the experiment would end up with my balance in red.

Chris Moran wrote:

Before the cops or the little men in white coats dragged me away I'm sure I could make off with a few bills each day.

I recall checking to make sure that playing in public is not illegal around here. Turns out, it's not. What makes me curious is, how badly do you need to play for it to become some kind of crime? Would me playing Kyorei count? What if I played the whole thing in Kan instead? Dai Kan?

#16 2007-12-16 12:02:30

Kerry

Tairaku wrote:

For those discussing the cost of the trip from America or Europe to Australia, I have an idea.

I am serious. Think about it. It's totally doable.

€10 or better make that $18 a day! ;)

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#17 2007-12-16 14:52:25

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

The most key to success in any endeavor is to visualise it. If you see yourself going to the festival then you just need to start taking small steps to get there. I envision you guys at the festival enjoying a Bombay Sapphire martini with me, my shout (Australian for "I buy the drinks"). smile Ken will also be there so we must have a www.shakuhachiforum.com party!

#18 2007-12-16 16:00:50

amokrun

Tairaku wrote:

The most key to success in any endeavor is to visualise it. If you see yourself going to the festival then you just need to start taking small steps to get there. I envision you guys at the festival enjoying a Bombay Sapphire martini with me, my shout (Australian for "I buy the drinks"). smile Ken will also be there so we must have a www.shakuhachiforum.com party!

Forum party sounds like a good idea to me. Heck, that alone would make it worth going somewhere for me. Just promise me that you'll bring some nifty flutes along with you for testing and "damn, I wish I had one of these" moments. I'd love to try a Taimu or two.

ps. I'm not sure if visualizing myself in Australia after some Bombay Sapphires makes me want to come there or not. It's not a pretty sight, I can tell you.

#19 2007-12-16 20:00:28

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

amokrun wrote:

ps. I'm not sure if visualizing myself in Australia after some Bombay Sapphires makes me want to come there or not. It's not a pretty sight, I can tell you.

It may not be a pretty sight if you are the only Bombay Sappihired spirit there.  However, the offer seems to suggest that there will be an ambient aqua-marine glow radiating from indeterminable places and people. Unquestionably better than a slap in the gut with a wet fish tongue and possibly a good reason to do all that you can to get there.

Last edited by Jeff Cairns (2007-12-16 20:09:04)

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#20 2007-12-17 07:17:24

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/bombaysapphire.jpg

#21 2007-12-17 08:46:23

Kerry

amokrun wrote:

Vegemite,
water and tea,
will help bring
your shakuaussie visions
to life
for thee
with
lasting memory.

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#22 2007-12-17 18:20:19

Moran from Planet X
Website

amokrun wrote:

Would me playing Kyorei count? What if I played the whole thing in Kan instead? Dai Kan?

My friend, if you can play all of Kyorei in Dai Kan (the register, not the radish) I am certain as the day I was born that someone, somewhere would bestow an official shakuhachi honor, title, and/or bamboo name upon you just for that single accomplishment ...

Tairaku wrote:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/bombaysapphire.jpg

... or at least Tairaku would buy you an extra martini.

But back to the real business at hand:

Tairaku wrote:

The most key to success in any endeavor is to visualise it. If you see yourself going to the festival then you just need to start taking small steps to get there.

No better advice can be taken to heart. The time and expense of the trip are daunting for many of us, especially with the sorry state of the dollar, but ... it's still worth taking the small steps and having the goal. And if at the end of it you can't go, you might have been able to collect enough resources to get yourself to a more local shakuhachi gathering or a series of lessons with a local teacher.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-12-17 18:34:55)

#23 2007-12-18 03:11:48

amokrun

Chris Moran wrote:

amokrun wrote:

Would me playing Kyorei count? What if I played the whole thing in Kan instead? Dai Kan?

My friend, if you can play all of Kyorei in Dai Kan (the register, not the radish) I am certain as the day I was born that someone, somewhere would bestow an official shakuhachi honor, title, and/or bamboo name upon you just for that single accomplishment ...

I never said I could play it well like that. I can try, though, and I'm sure that some of the notes would be in Dai Kan. Trying to listen to that may or may not damage your hearing.

#24 2007-12-18 13:15:51

Moran from Planet X
Website

amokrun wrote:

... in Dai Kan ...Trying to listen to that may or may not damage your hearing.

And thus is born Punk Shakuhachi. It might catch on.

#25 2007-12-18 13:53:33

Karmajampa
Website

From Europe check out 'Emirates' Airline prices.
From the USA, make sure you have your shakuhachi blowing while you wander down those long corridors at LAX, they have great ambience.
I am visualizing my Martini slipping over my parched tongue, as I listen to Riley Lee playing from the top of the Sydney Opera House, sunrise gently revealing harbour waters resonating with the World Shakuhachi Ensemble blowing Ro Buki.
I blow bubbles through my straw into my martini, they gurgle with the charm of koro koro.

Kel. §

Kia Kaha !

Board footer