Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-14 11:48:37

Scrambles

Cured urushi and rashes

I have read all of the posts that I could find here on this subject, and it looks like this is a fairly common problem with varying severity.  A week ago I took delivery of a brand new shinobue, and I loved it so much I couldn't put it down for an hour after I first picked it up.  The following day, I developed the classic urushi rash under my lower lip.  I wasn't aware of this problem, and I originally thought it was a food allergy.  It's been over a week now, and I'm coming back to normal and can finally play again.

I've seen comments on this site about the urushi rash, however I'm looking for clarification on a few points:

1) My flute is new, maybe only 3-4 weeks old right now.  Will the possibility of rash diminish as the urushi cures more fully?
2) How long would be a reasonable amount of time for it to cure fully?
3) Everyone's body is different and will have different reactions, however how common is it for people to have a reaction to fully cured urushi?
4) I've seen a few different methods listed, however is there any consensus on how to best remove any remaining urushiol from a bamboo flute?

There are other fue that have cashew paint instead of urushi, and these I have no reaction to at all.  The problem is, virtually all of the better shinobue have urushi, and I would hate to not be able to use them when I want to upgrade again!

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, and thanks for your help!

Last edited by Scrambles (2007-12-14 11:52:53)

- Taiko nut -

#2 2007-12-14 14:06:05

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Cured urushi and rashes

Hi Scrambles, welcome to the Forum.

Scrambles wrote:

1) My flute is new, maybe only 3-4 weeks old right now.  Will the possibility of rash diminish as the urushi cures more fully?
2) How long would be a reasonable amount of time for it to cure fully?
3) Everyone's body is different and will have different reactions, however how common is it for people to have a reaction to fully cured urushi?
4) I've seen a few different methods listed, however is there any consensus on how to best remove any remaining urushiol from a bamboo flute?

1) As the urushiol gas vaporizes, your rash will lessen.
2) I am not affected by urushi unless the raw urushi gets on my skin during the application. If I'm taking my time, the urushiol vapors alone can come into contact with exposed skin and can lead to a rash.
3) Strangely enough, I can play the flute after it polymerizes, a 1/2 hour or so later and not get a rash. Kinya said I should wait two weeks before playing a flute.  Some people are very sensitive to it so they may not be able to play one for a while, maybe a year or possibly more.
4) I've been wiping down my urushied flutes with Cortaid Poison Ivy wipes. But, I don't really know if they work. I know in one case it's not working for the owner of a flute that has lacquer for 5 or 6 months.

There are other fue that have cashew paint instead of urushi, and these I have no reaction to at all.  The problem is, virtually all of the better shinobue have urushi, and I would hate to not be able to use them when I want to upgrade again!

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, and thanks for your help!

Cashew smells horribly.

You can try different Anti-poison Ivy washes (if you dare wash the flute).

Let us know what happens.

Best of luck, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-12-14 14:07:15)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-01-09 15:04:19

Scrambles

Thanks Perry for your insight!

It's been a few more weeks now and I last got the rash on my chin, upper lip and left forearm (!?), from playing about a week ago.  The rash is virtually gone now, so it's not lasting as long it seems.  Still, I don't want to pick it up again and get another rash...it's not debilitating or painful anymore, but it is quite annoying!

I used Cortaid poison ivy wipes on the flute before I played, then again on my lips and hands after playing for about 10 minutes.  I still got a rash obviously, although I suspect the wipes may have lessened the severity.

I have been keeping the fue in a plastic bag to protect it from cracking, however I'm considering keeping it out to help evaporate the remaining oils.  Does anyone think this might work?  Will the risk of cracking increase too much?

( Pardon me while I scratch....LOL! lol )

I continue to play my other fue, made with cashew paint.  These are nice fue, however the lacquered one is much sharper and lighter to play...I enjoy it very much!  The cashew paint did have a smell to it that was unpleasant, but that is diminishing greatly with time.  I would definitely buy another flute made with cashew paint.  Perhaps if I needed to, I could have one custom made with cashew instead of urushi, but I hope I just get used to urushi instead.

If I don't get used to it, I think I will spray my current lacquered flute with a synthetic varnish...as a last resort.  Does anyone see any problems with doing this?  Again, this would be a last-LAST resort.

I'll keep posting here to let everyone know how things develop (or do not develop!)

Thanks all,
Dave

- Taiko nut -

#4 2008-01-09 15:18:55

Seth

I have had severe urushi reactions to new flutes.

I have found that if I give a quick wash to the new flute in technu oil (an anti-poison ivy oil cleaner) that can pretty much resolve the problem. 

For the two flutes I did this with I did not experience any cracking or other issues to the flutes.  But of course introducing a lot of moisture to a flute always entails a risk.

I also make it a practice to wash my hands with tecnu after practicing for the first few weeks with a new flute.

#5 2008-01-09 19:30:18

mrosenlof

Take this with good healthy skepticism, but I am under the impression that warmth and humidity are both important factors in how fast the urushi cures.  I really have no idea if the irritant vaporises or if it cures into an inert substance, but it does on of those.

Here's the purely anecdotal evidence:  My new flute kept causing reactions for much longer than the seller thought it should.  I had not reacted to any other flutes, and I was keeping mine humid, but in a relatively cool basement.  A long shakuhachi camp weekend, with the flute still humidified by either playing about six hours per day or storage with a dampit, ***and temperatures at 90 (F) and above*** ended my reactions, and I have been rash-free since then.

I certainly do not recommend baking your flute, but storing it somewhere humid at nice warm temperatures (keep it under 100 F) for some undetermined number of days or weeks might (MIGHT!) help.  How to do this is left as an exercise for the reader, but a sufficiently large plastic box for the flute and a glass of water or two (in the glasses), all safely placed in a small room or closet with a thermostatically controlled space heater might be a start.

Again, treat this as unverified rumor, not as established fact.  Good luck.

Mike Rosenlof

#6 2008-01-09 20:24:24

edosan
Edomologist

mrosenlof wrote:

...warmth and humidity are both important factors in how fast the urushi cures.

The heat variable makes perfect sense, because higher temperature increases the vaor pressure of the moisture
in whatever container the shakuhachi is in for the 'treatment'--and moisture is what gets the curing done.

In addition, using Cortaid swabs to wipe the flute with doesn't make much sense to me: The active incredient in Cortaid
is a cortico-steroid which is there to reduce the reaction in the SKIN to the urushiol. It does nothing to the
urushiol itself.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2008-01-09 20:24:54)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2008-01-09 21:41:26

Scrambles

mrosenlof wrote:

I certainly do not recommend baking your flute, but storing it somewhere humid at nice warm temperatures (keep it under 100 F) for some undetermined number of days or weeks might (MIGHT!) help.  How to do this is left as an exercise for the reader, but a sufficiently large plastic box for the flute and a glass of water or two (in the glasses), all safely placed in a small room or closet with a thermostatically controlled space heater might be a start.

Again, treat this as unverified rumor, not as established fact.  Good luck.

Maybe I'll keep it stored in a humidified container on top of my computer monitor for a while.  I understand what urushi needs to cure.  Also, it might be that the maker of my flute was in a bit of a rush to complete his work since his flutes have been in huge demand lately, and the one I have literally just came in to the store a day or two before I bought it in early December.

edosan wrote:

In addition, using Cortaid swabs to wipe the flute with doesn't make much sense to me: The active incredient in Cortaid is a cortico-steroid which is there to reduce the reaction in the SKIN to the urushiol. It does nothing to the urushiol itself.

Actually, the wipes I used are not treated with hydrocortizone like Cortaid cream.  The full name is "Cortaid Poison Ivy Care Toxin Removal Cloths", and says "clinically proven to wipe away poison plant toxins before the rash occurs."  As I said above, I don't think it worked anyway.

Ah, what doesn't kill me will make me stronger...or something like that...right now I will wipe the flute against my arm and see if I get a rash in the next day or 2....

Thanks everyone for your replies!  Arigatou, ne!

- Taiko nut -

#8 2008-01-09 21:59:55

edosan
Edomologist

Scrambles wrote:

Actually, the wipes I used are not treated with hydrocortizone like Cortaid cream.  The full name is "Cortaid Poison Ivy Care Toxin Removal Cloths", and says "clinically proven to wipe away poison plant toxins before the rash occurs."  As I said above, I don't think it worked anyway.

Ah, SO.....

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2008-01-12 00:38:07

JeffMartindale
Website

I have reacted with rash on a couple of relatively new flutes. Left a nice red spot on the chin for awhile. I actually washed the inside of the flute with soap and water. I then stored the flute in high humidity within a bag. Eventually, the flute was free of causing the rash. Of course, had to play the flute before fully cured. So, I would use alcohol swabs to clean the outside of the bamboo touching my chin. I was also careful to wash my face and hands after playing. Just some thoughts.  All the best, Jeff

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#10 2008-01-12 09:13:21

Scrambles

Well, the spot on my arm that I brushed the flute against 2 days ago has a very slight rash.  It doesn't itch, but it is visible.

I will get a plastic box to use as a humidifier, and cure the urushi a bit more.  How long will it take to cure the urushi?

- Taiko nut -

#11 2008-01-12 14:08:25

jamesnyman

I am the person, who was still reacting to urushi in the bore of a shakuhachi even after it had cured for 5-6 months, that Perry was refering to in his previous post in this thread.

I have stored the offending flute in a plastic damp box with a small bowl of water for four months now. At Perry's suggestion, I drilled holes in the box lid after 2 months in an attempt to reduce the humidity in the box from 100% to around 50-60%. I do not know if I was successful as my only humidity indicator was the one that came with a Dampit and it does not measure above 50%. Even with the holes, the flute started getting moldy two weeks ago so I removed it from the damp box and cleaned it with a weak bleach solution. Lo and behold, it no longer causes a rash when I play it, and I am VERY sensitive to both urushi and poison ivy! I am also VERY glad as the shakuhachi was an old myoan 1.8 with a wonderful voice.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#12 2008-02-23 11:03:34

Scrambles

Time to report back...

About 3 weeks ago I also used a bleach solution to wash the inside and outside of my flute, and it seems to have reduced the rash considerably - but it has not eliminated it.  It really did make a drastic difference, though.

I suppose the last course of action is a warm, humid box to help the urushi cure.  I'll post again later.

- Taiko nut -

#13 2008-03-09 22:21:12

peteross
Website

I have had some success with Quercetin.  It's a food supplement for people with allergies, available at most health food stores..  I took it for one week twice a day, and was able to play several flutes without reaction for the first time in one year.  We're all different, but, you might give this a try.....

Peter

Board footer