Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-11 05:58:19

Alex

Twin Peaks

Hello people!

I got the whole "Twin Peaks" series for Chrismas and as I was watching Chapter 21 I thought I saw one of the characters (Windom Earle, the ex-FBI companion of the agent investigating the murder of Laura Palmer) holding a Shakuhachi!

This was confirmed on chapter 22 where he appears playing it and talking about it. Well, actually the actor is obviously not playing it and the impression I get is that the sound was made with a shakuhachi sample from a keyboard (not really certain as I never heard such a sample but I asume it would sound like that).

He doesn't mention the name but he talks about 13th century Japan and how some samurai who were banned from carrying a sword used Shakuhachi as a weapon.

The Shakuhachi looks rough: a one piece rootend with a very natural look (the rootend for example has not been shaved much).

Well, just sharing. There's so little Shakuhachi material out there that when I hear something about it it's like finding gold!

Hope you are all well and happy

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#2 2008-01-11 06:52:00

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: Twin Peaks

There were plans to follow up on the success of "Twin Peaks" with an even more shakuhachi-centric series called "Three Valleys."

Shakuhachi on TV shows is one of the most esoteric of all trivia specialties. "Chicago Hope," a trashy 90's show, sometimes featured shakuhachi in its theme music, perhaps because one of its stars, Hector Elizondo, was a shakuhachi enthusiast and player.

#3 2008-01-11 14:44:19

Windom

No points for guessing where I first heard of the instrument.

#4 2008-01-15 03:17:32

Alex

Windom wrote:

No points for guessing where I first heard of the instrument.

Brilliant!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

Board footer