Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-18 20:27:47

Lance

Brand new, here, and to the Shakuhachi

I'm buying the 'yuu' soon, and have dabbled in transverse flutes, making a few pvc to practice blowing and understand it better, and just now ordering a bamboo transverse flute.

The Shakuhachi is an amazing instrument (you all know that), and I'll be happy just to have one and begin exploring. I don't intend to take lessons, just 'explore' it.

I'm in California, about an hour from Sequoia Nat'l Park, with my backyard on the Tule' River, ahhhhh.

I'll got a lot of reading to do to catch up here...

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

#2 2008-01-19 03:13:36

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Brand new, here, and to the Shakuhachi

Hi Lance, welcome to the forum. I like the fact that your introduction to flutes were ones you made yourself. Another forum member recently pointed me to a website that has instructions on how to make PVC shakuhachi, http://www.navaching.com/shaku/shakuindex.html

I don't want to steer you away from the Yuu, but since you say you don't intend to take lessons, I'd like to point out that there are bamboo alternatives available for about the same price from respected makers. There a couple advantages to those instruments. One is that most people like bamboo better than plastic. Even if you don't mind playing plastic yourself, people you talk to about what you're playing will usually display some kind of non-verbal reaction that indicates they are less impressed as soon as you tell them you're playing a plastic instrument. And having a shakuhachi is kind of like having a puppy, if you bring it outside to play almost inevitably someone will approach you to talk to you about it. If it's a plastic instrument you made youself you might gain some points though. Another advantage is that the low-end bamboo instruments are lighter, I understand that the Yuu's are kind of heavy.  The only problem with the low-end bamboo instruments is that you can't take lessons on them, and just because you don't have intentions of taking lessons doesn't necessarily mean you won't eventually change your mind.   

I'm sure you'll find a lot of answers to your questions here, it's one of the most valuable and fun forums I've participated in.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2008-01-19 03:15:08)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2008-01-20 01:14:02

Lance

Re: Brand new, here, and to the Shakuhachi

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I do realize, and agree, about the aesthetics of the 'yuu' (plastic). One nice thing, for me at least, is that I don't care what anyone thinks or feels about the material my flute is made of, especially since I do agree about the wonder of bamboo (I LOVE bamboo, as a plant, as a flute material) so I do 'get it'. I like all the other positives of the yuu, in tune, durable, CAN take lessons on it, no worries about temperature, weather, ect. So for me it seems like a good choice. I also don't mind being controversial! I'll weigh in on the yuu discussions as time goes on, from my limited view. I should have mine in less than 6 days!!!! Again, thanks for the welcome, I've learned so much already from reading many discussions.

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

Board footer