Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-24 04:21:53

Alex

Notes

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is any place (site, book, ...) where I can find how to play all the different notes, with alternative fingerings and so on. I guess I'm looking for something that explains which holes are open, how much you have to lower or raise your chin, differences in tone colour and so on.

I know each Shakuhachi is different and getting a pitch right is a matter of many years of careful listening, I just want something to use as an starting point. I´m particulary interested on alternative fingerings, not that I can play the notes with "standard" fingerings correctly but I like to experiment (as I imagine, most of you!) and I'd like to try different things once on a while.

Thanks a lot!

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#2 2006-01-25 01:05:20

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Notes

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-01-25 06:28:22

Alex

Re: Notes

Hi Eddie,

Thanks a lot for the info!  And thanks for wishing me good luck, I'm sure going to need it! wink

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

Board footer