You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Shakuhachi Design, N. Zink, Booze, Injection Molding and Speculation

#26 2008-01-21 07:20:36

Tono

Re: Shakuhachi Design, N. Zink, Booze, Injection Molding and Speculation

Edosan, to Kaizan it would feel like plastic.  I should have been clearer; the “feel” is more about the tactile aesthetics, and then the sound...  Let’s be generous.  If 20% of the sound depends on the flute material and bore, then your preference is bamboo?   If you live further than the moon, are you closer to the finger or beyond the pale?  Is Ichijo your most-played flute?  Some high end flutes are much harder to play than others for the same master player.  Why?  I wholeheartedly agree that Nelson Zink is a very good thinker, organizer and presenter.  I would imagine he can ably play the shakuhachi, too?

Domo, Gould sensei.  You so often say the right thing at the right time, and with a wry sense of humor.

Thank you, Perry sensei, for all the interesting perspectives of craftsmanship and intuition.

So practically speaking, the great-sounding flute would be the adept Zen player.  And for a player to become adept, it seems most teachers eventually endorse or use bamboo in the end?  Still, can’t wait to get the Zink!

Here’s the Zink quote on frying bamboo.  Is this the method that smells like a ham and cheese sandwich?  Could Tabasco be added for a spicier aroma?  Would hot sauce improve the tonality?  Or even be a good mold preventative?
“French Fried
For the adventurous, there's an intriguing wood treatment which bypasses most of the traditional bamboo drying/treatment processes and that's to french-fry the green culm in hot non-catalyzed tung oil. Cut the culm and drill out the nodes. Heat a tube of oil to about 350 F. Introduce the green culm. When all boiling and other activity ceases cut the heat and allow the oil to cool with the culm submerged.
Here's what happens: All moisture is expelled as it's turned into steam and escapes as bubbles. All lignin in the wood is hardened as the oil temperature is above its hardening point. All the surface waxes will be melted and removed. During the cool-down period any air which was greatly expanded at 350 F. contracts and atmospheric pressure drives the oil into the wood. Wipe all excess oil from your culm and submit to the standard 3 month drying period.
The result will be bamboo which has had it's starches and sugars stabilized, all moisture removed and be thoroughly impregnated with hardened linoxyn. The wood will be markedly hardened and strengthened--being waterproof, dent proof, etc. The modulus of elasticity will drop considerably and the material will become even more rigid and 'musical'. The major component of a Stradivarius violin is the treated wood of the top plate. It's acoustical properties are what we recognize as exceptional sound. Once the culm has cured, craft a flute in your usual manner.”
And one more amazing Zink tidbit about bamboo:  “Contrary to common intuition, bamboo is a very dense wood. It's density runs 2 to 3 times that of pine and usually is more dense than oak. On density alone bamboo would be listed well up in the hardwoods--above teak, mahogany, maple, walnut, oak and ash. Some bamboo will exceed ebony and lignumvitae in density. In general, bamboo has about the same density as hickory. Density is the single most important indicator of strength in wood and may, therefore, predict such characteristics as hardness, ease of machining, and resistance to penetration. Dense woods generally shrink and swell more and usually present greater problems in drying.”

#27 2008-01-21 09:47:41

Seth

udo.jeromin wrote:

Do we discuss two different questions?
1. What makes the best sound?
2. What instrument should I pick up if I have a choice?

The first seems interesting but academic.  The second is a practical question.

Cheers, udo.

What makes the best sound is somewhat subjective - as the infamous jinashi vs. ji ari string demonstrates.  So that is a hard question to answer.

And likewise, what is best for you is dependent on many variables unique to you.  For instance: I am a passionate lover of 1.8 ji ari flutes.  More urushi the better.  For me long jinashi flutes mostly sound empty and devoid of charm.   Did you hear that collective gasp?  I think half the forum just fainted.

eB- Yes- 80% of the sound is the quality of the player.  No doubt.  But that final 20% can be quite interesting to ponder.   And I have to say this forum is an odd place for people to express frustration with overly esoteric and self-indulgent intellectual musings.  For Buddha's sake - this is a shakuhachi discussion group!   Most anyone who has the patience and required masochism to study an obscure ancient instrument is generally going to love overly esoteric self-indulgent intellectual musings.  This kinda of just comes with the territory.   

One other response to the school of "it's all about the player and the rest is irrelevant" school of thought:   I actually think that everytime a traditional shakuhachi piece is performed there are at least four people present in the room:

1) The player
2) The maker of the shakuhachi
3) The author(s) of the song
4) The player's teacher

And this complexity - the artistic impact of these many partners -  is one of the reasons shakuhachi music is as fascinating as it is...

#28 2008-01-21 11:05:37

edosan
Edomologist

Seth wrote:

eB- Yes- 80% of the sound is the quality of the player.  No doubt.  But that final 20% can be quite interesting to ponder.   And I have to say this forum is an odd place for people to express frustration with overly esoteric and self-indulgent intellectual musings.  For Buddha's sake - this is a shakuhachi discussion group!   Most anyone who has the patience and required masochism to study an obscure ancient instrument is generally going to love overly esoteric self-indulgent intellectual musings.  This kinda of just comes with the territory.

Granted, but here we often get into 'angels dancing on the head of a pin' territory, when a moment of thought and reflection will usually answer one's own question.

For Buddha's sake.

Last edited by edosan (2008-01-21 11:08:44)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#29 2008-01-21 11:08:18

edosan
Edomologist

Seth wrote:

One other response to the school of "it's all about the player and the rest is irrelevant" school of thought:   I actually think that everytime a traditional shakuhachi piece is performed there are at least four people present in the room:

Not irrelevant; just much less important than we often make it to be (and I love the point you make here).

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#30 2008-01-22 03:07:49

udo.jeromin

Well, I thought there was a well defined question discussed in this thread:

"does the material influence the sound of a flute or does it not".

I.e.: if I took (I'll never do!) my favourite bamboo shakuhachi and cut it in half to make an exact plastic copy, will I get (assuming I keep the geometry) an equally well sounding flute that I can without fear take out in any weather?

I don't think so, but not everybody seems to share this opinion.

Cheers, udo.

#31 2008-01-22 03:42:26

radi0gnome
Website

udo.jeromin wrote:

Well, I thought there was a well defined question discussed in this thread:

"does the material influence the sound of a flute or does it not".

I.e.: if I took (I'll never do!) my favourite bamboo shakuhachi and cut it in half to make an exact plastic copy, will I get (assuming I keep the geometry) an equally well sounding flute that I can without fear take out in any weather?

I don't think so, but not everybody seems to share this opinion.

Cheers, udo.

Since Monty Levenson has pretty good quality control with his precision cast bores, you could always take away the bamboo material and replace it with something else. If you get the utaguchi and the hole depth the same it should sound the same as other precision cast bores if the theory is true.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#32 2008-01-22 03:45:37

radi0gnome
Website

Seth wrote:

1) The player
2) The maker of the shakuhachi
3) The author(s) of the song
4) The player's teacher

Don't forget the acoustics of the room itself. Also don't forget the audience, I don't think there's any performer that will say that the audience doesn't make a difference.

#33 2008-01-22 06:01:36

udo.jeromin

radi0gnome wrote:

...you could always take away the bamboo material and replace it with something else. ... if the theory is true.

Correct, that is (in my understanding) the question: would you beleive the theory enough to just do what I suggested, cut up your favourite bamboo shakuhachi to make a cast form from it and produce a, say, plastic version of it (or even multiple copies so that you can have one every place you go)?

I wouldn't --- even if I was sure that I'd be able to make a true copy of my favourite bamboo.
Despite the various (objective) advantages of plastic and multiple copies.

Cheers, udo.

P.S.: I like the change of title of this thread ;-)

#34 2008-01-22 06:21:53

amokrun

I must say that I have very little knowledge of how instruments like this operate. What bothers me about the idea that only empty space counts is that it doesn't consider the fact that the flute vibrates when you blow at all. At really high pitches it becomes increasingly difficult to tell flutes apart. Yuu sounds about the same as my other flutes when you push it to middle part of Dai Kan. On the other hand, Otsu no Ro sounds very different on every flute I've played. It is trivial to tell between my current flute and a Yuu from just blowing Ro for a bit in different ways. The other bamboo and non-bamboo flutes I've tried all have a distinct Ro. Sometimes it is booming and rough, sometimes it's closer to how the rest of the notes sound. Sometimes there are clearly other sounds in the background, sometimes it's very pure and deep sound. These differences start to get more and more fuzzy as you go up in pitch.

It makes me wonder if vibrations in the flute cause differences in the sound depending on what the flute is made of and thus how it vibrates. I would assume that especially in the low end of pitches the vibrations would be strong enough to momentarily change the bore size by a tiny fraction which could be enough to cause changes in the sound that ultimately lead to every flute having its own voice. This kind of logic doesn't really conflict with the idea that only empty space matters because the empty space would ultimately be the thing that makes the difference. The only thing is, it keeps changing.

If that was true, making an exact copy of a flute would produce a similar flute that most likely plays roughly the same but which has differences in tone color because it vibrates differently and thus doesn't alter the size of the bore in the same way.

#35 2008-01-22 06:22:08

radi0gnome
Website

udo.jeromin wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

...you could always take away the bamboo material and replace it with something else. ... if the theory is true.

Correct, that is (in my understanding) the question: would you beleive the theory enough to just do what I suggested, cut up your favourite bamboo shakuhachi to make a cast form from it and produce a, say, plastic version of it (or even multiple copies so that you can have one every place you go)?

I wouldn't --- even if I was sure that I'd be able to make a true copy of my favourite bamboo.
Despite the various (objective) advantages of plastic and multiple copies.

Cheers, udo.

P.S.: I like the change of title of this thread ;-)

Well, if your just looking for an answer to if I believe the theory enough to cut up my favorite bamboo, no, I wouldn't either. What I was pointing out is that to create a mold and then make plastic shakuhachi identical to a bamboo shakuhachi is difficult. However, the theory could be tested much more easily by using the center part of a Levenson cast bore instrument and putting plastic around it. So what you'd essentially have is a Levenson cast bore shakuhachi made out of plastic. If it's true that material doesn't matter it should sound the same as his bamboo cast bore instruments.

#36 2008-01-22 06:49:03

radi0gnome
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Supposedly the Yuu is based upon an actual high quality bamboo shakuhachi but it doesn't sound quite the same. Or maybe people think it does, I don't know.

Yes, but since the bore at the root end of the Yuu is off-center it's obvious that the casting is only cosmetic and the bore was made straight through. It does not replicate the bore of the instrument it was cast from exactly.

#37 2008-01-22 08:27:45

udo.jeromin

radi0gnome wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Supposedly the Yuu is based upon an actual high quality bamboo shakuhachi...

It does not replicate the bore of the instrument it was cast from exactly.

It would be very interesting to verify where the Yuu exactly comes from (not sure whether there is a post on the forum answering that question, a search for "yuu" just brings up too many responses ;-)

radi0gnome wrote:

However, the theory could be tested much more easily by using the center part of a Levenson cast bore instrument and putting plastic around it. So what you'd essentially have is a Levenson cast bore shakuhachi made out of plastic. If it's true that material doesn't matter it should sound the same as his bamboo cast bore instruments.

I agree: this would be a most interesting experiment if Monty's technology would indeed allow to make a true plastic or stone copy of a bamboo instrument.

And, no, I didn't just want to know whether you beleived the theory enough to slaughter your instrument --- I just meant to phrase the question as pictorially as possible.  Sorry, I didn't mean to be mean.

amokrun wrote:

It makes me wonder if vibrations in the flute cause differences in the sound depending on what the flute is made of and thus how it vibrates.

I think there is a technical term for this, "chikuin", and it is an important quality that makers look for.

And, as I understand, it is not only the effect of the vibration on the sound but also on the "feel" of the flute.

Which may actually be a better (but less clear hence more complicated) thing to discuss.

Very interesting discussion; cheers, udo.

#38 2008-01-22 08:32:51

gmiller

Recently had a discussion about the YUU with Neil at Naljor Creations (shakuhachiyuu.com); my understanding is the YUU bore is cast. Even though the foot hole is not centered the bore is not straight. Also, I believe the finger holes are hand drilled and undercut and the utaguchi hand-shaped. Now, looking into the bore (this is a brand new YUU) it is very clear that the lower half had some work done to teak the sound as the lower half exhibits some very fine sanding marks while the upper half is glossy smooth. I've had a number of YUU or the years and each one is different; so, I assume a craftsman is finishing each YUU as it comes out of the mold.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

#39 2008-01-22 09:03:05

radi0gnome
Website

gmiller wrote:

Recently had a discussion about the YUU with Neil at Naljor Creations (shakuhachiyuu.com); my understanding is the YUU bore is cast. Even though the foot hole is not centered the bore is not straight.

This doesn't make sense, the hole should be close to centered. Unless the bore was cast from a different piece of shakuhachi than the outside was cast from. Or, maybe the bamboo grew like that, but then I'd wonder why it they chose such an unusual piece of bamboo to cast.

gmiller wrote:

Also, I believe the finger holes are hand drilled and undercut and the utaguchi hand-shaped. Now, looking into the bore (this is a brand new YUU) it is very clear that the lower half had some work done to teak the sound as the lower half exhibits some very fine sanding marks while the upper half is glossy smooth. I've had a number of YUU or the years and each one is different; so, I assume a craftsman is finishing each YUU as it comes out of the mold.

That would justify the price that others have pointed out would otherwise seem steep for mass-produced plastic.

gmiller wrote:

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Thanks, I guess this information helps, but that off-center hole still needs more explaination. The most curvey piece of bamboo I've see has an off-center hole but not nearly as much off-center as the picture of the Yuu here: http://www.shakuhachiyuu.com/shakyuu.htm

#40 2008-01-22 09:11:05

udo.jeromin

radi0gnome wrote:

This doesn't make sense, the hole should be close to centered.

I have a bamboo shaku-roku which is nearly straight but the bore is very much not centered at the root.  So, I don't think it is proof that the Yuu's bore can't be a close copy of a high quality bamboo instrument.

#41 2008-01-22 09:25:32

Seth

Hhmmm....It's surprising to me that the Yuu requires individual hand work.

It really does not make sense to me that someone is not able to mass produce amazing shakuhachi for the cost of a yamaha recorder.   There should be some plastic substance that would vibrate like bamboo.

After all, a computer key board requires far more precision than a shakuhachi and they go for around $20 nowadays.

If only there was a mass market to justify the needed investment...

#42 2008-01-22 09:34:32

radi0gnome
Website

udo.jeromin wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

However, the theory could be tested much more easily by using the center part of a Levenson cast bore instrument and putting plastic around it. So what you'd essentially have is a Levenson cast bore shakuhachi made out of plastic. If it's true that material doesn't matter it should sound the same as his bamboo cast bore instruments.

I agree: this would be a most interesting experiment if Monty's technology would indeed allow to make a true plastic or stone copy of a bamboo instrument.

It wouldn't make a plastic copy of a bamboo instrument, but it would replicate the bore of one of Monty's instruments. Monty's instruments turn out to being bamboo around a synthetic material tube (similar to a jiari flute). What I was suggesting was to take that tube, remove the surrounding bamboo, and replace the bamboo  with plastic. It could then be compared with another bamboo Levenson cast-bore flute that was of the same original quality to see how much the sound changed. 

This experiment wouldn't put the issue to sleep entirely because even if the sound was identical, you could always argue that with a jinashi flute it might not be. But it's so much more difficult to replicate a jinashi instrument in plastic that it's a good first step. And if the sound happened to be different, you could assume it would be different in a jinashi too.

udo.jeromin wrote:

And, no, I didn't just want to know whether you beleived the theory enough to slaughter your instrument --- I just meant to phrase the question as pictorially as possible.  Sorry, I didn't mean to be mean.

I accept the apology, but I didn't interpret your post as being mean so it wasn't really necessary.

#43 2008-01-22 09:35:27

udo.jeromin

Seth wrote:

Hhmmm....It's surprising to me that the Yuu requires individual hand work.

It really does not make sense to me that someone is not able to mass produce amazing shakuhachi for the cost of a yamaha recorder.   There should be some plastic substance that would vibrate like bamboo.

After all, a computer key board requires far more precision than a shakuhachi and they go for around $20 nowadays.

If only there was a mass market to justify the needed investment...

I don't think that quality and mass-production go together, at all.  Can't argue that properly (yet) but every year going by makes that more clear to me.  But this remark is perhaps a bit too far from the topic --- sorry, just couldn't help it...

#44 2008-01-22 09:54:56

udo.jeromin

radi0gnome wrote:

udo.jeromin wrote:

It wouldn't make a plastic copy of a bamboo instrument, but it would replicate the bore of one of Monty's instruments. Monty's instruments turn out to being bamboo around a synthetic material tube (similar to a jiari flute). What I was suggesting was to take that tube, remove the surrounding bamboo, and replace the bamboo  with plastic. It could then be compared with another bamboo Levenson cast-bore flute that was of the same original quality to see how much the sound changed.

This experiment wouldn't put the issue to sleep entirely because even if the sound was identical, you could always argue that with a jinashi flute it might not be. But it's so much more difficult to replicate a jinashi instrument in plastic that it's a good first step. And if the sound happened to be different, you could assume it would be different in a jinashi too.

My expectation would be that the sound would turn out different.  Hence I would aim for two instruments of different materials but exact copies of each other from the geometric point of view.

radi0gnome wrote:

I accept the apology, but I didn't interpret your post as being mean so it wasn't really necessary.

Thanks.  I try not to offend but sometimes I am not sure (for language reasons and, of course, we don't know each other very well on the forum so it is easy to punch someone on the nose without intending to do so).

Cheers, udo.

#45 2008-01-22 10:31:30

edosan
Edomologist

radi0gnome wrote:

Thanks, I guess this information helps, but that off-center hole still needs more explaination. The most curvey piece of bamboo I've see has an off-center hole but not nearly as much off-center as the picture of the Yuu here: http://www.shakuhachiyuu.com/shakyuu.htm

There is no particular reason to cast a curved bore into the plastic--what's required is that the bore have the correct shape, or profile--and it's much easier to cast a straighter bore into the Yuu, and this is likely what's being done, thus, the off-center location of the hole at the 'root' end.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#46 2008-01-22 10:54:46

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

There is no particular reason to cast a curved bore into the plastic--what's required is that the bore have the correct shape, or profile--and it's much easier to cast a straighter bore into the Yuu, and this is likely what's being done, thus, the off-center location of the hole at the 'root' end.

Yes, but the idea here is that the Yuu is supposed to be a casting of a fine shakuhachi and therefore would help in determining if it's the material or dimensions that matter. I'm questioning how accurate of a casting it is because the hole is way off-center. Some are saying that they were told that the off-center hole was cast, and others are supporting that by saying that some shakuhachi have very off-center holes. I'm still skeptical.

It's true that it doesn't have to be curved for it to play well, but to support or shoot down the theory that the material the flute is made of doesn't affect the sound you've got to have an exact casting of the original instrument (or at least of the bore). If Yuu isn't an exact casting, and it looks like it's not and the most important part, the bore, is the part that looks wrong, you can't use the Yuu to help decide if material matters or not.

#47 2008-01-22 12:11:19

edosan
Edomologist

There is no help in changing
Your environment.
The obstacle is the mind,
Which must be overcome,
Whether at home or in the forest.
If you can do it in the forest,
Why not in the home?
Therefore, why change the environment?

~ Ramana Maharshi

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#48 2008-01-22 15:20:49

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I doubt the Yuu is a cast of an actual shakuhachi in terms of the exterior shape. But maybe the bore is. The fact that it needs hand finishing just proves that shakuhachi is more complicated than something like a recorder.

I had an interesting experience recently which sheds light on both the "material counts" and "it's the player" arguments. I got together with a shakuhachi player in Sydney who studies with Riley and Kakizakai. In order to play together we found flutes which matched "G" pitch. He had a very thin ji ari Miura Ryuho (favored maker of the Yokoyama gang) and I was using a massive wide bore ji nashi from Gudo Ishibashi. When he heard my tone he remarked that it was totally different than what he was used to and that it sounded much more like Watazumi's recordings (I assume he meant the sound, not the playing). And that there was a whole other level of sub harmonics there which is not in thinner flutes. And that the Ryuho has more of a focused sound. So the style and size of flutes matters. But then when I blew his 2.7 he also said that he was surprised that the sound I got on it was so different than what he had heard when other people played it. So the player matters as well.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#49 2008-01-22 15:57:14

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

There is no help in changing
Your environment.
The obstacle is the mind,
Which must be overcome,
Whether at home or in the forest.
If you can do it in the forest,
Why not in the home?
Therefore, why change the environment?

~ Ramana Maharshi

I'm trying to understand how this poem relates to the discussion, It sounds like a "change comes from within" sort of thing, where if you don't like other peoples behaviour, look at and work on changing yours.

I was also thinking though, maybe the reverse of what I suggested with the Levenson cast-bore flutes could be attempted to disprove the "material doesn't matter" theory. Take a Yuu, shave away allthe excess around the bore (you'd have to keep the finger holes raised and fat around the mouthpiece end so the utaguchi would be the same). Then if the sound changed, the theory is disproven already. If it did not, you could start slogging on silly putty, wood putty, clay, or whatever you think would stick. If the sound changes, the theory is disproved. If not... back to the drawing board.

Of course, I just realized that I'm leaving out the important part of how to determine if the sound changed. Especially considering that it's been revealed in this thread that each Yuu plays a bit different. However, if the change was extreme enough, I'd take the word of whoever tried it. Not that I'd blindly believe just anybody who says they tried it... smile

BTW, My belief of the theory as it stands is that material matters at least a little. Trying different Irish flutes of the same model but with different woods  from the same maker once I thought there was a difference even though he was saying that there wasn't. And when I tried a silver head joint on a non-silver concert flute body and compared side-by-side in a music store once I thought there was a difference, but in that case the dealer was trying to convince me there was a difference.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2008-01-22 16:07:44)

#50 2008-01-22 21:20:31

dstone
Website

edosan wrote:

Sure, but you're not implying that "correct shape or profile" of bore is independent of the direction the bore takes through the flute material, are you?  If we "only" changed the direction the Yuu's bore took through the plastic (to follow the curve of the flute, for example) then I would expect the flute to sound differently.  e.g. timbre or tuning or both.  Curving the bore would reduce chimney heights of the lower holes, for example.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Shakuhachi Design, N. Zink, Booze, Injection Molding and Speculation

Board footer