World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-02-07 10:16:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Happy New year 4705!

Hi All, Happy New Year. Gung Hay Fat Choy. The 4705th year of the rat!

Those born in the Western years of 1912, 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996.

People born in the Year of the Rat are noted for their charm and attraction for the opposite sex. They work hard to achieve their goals, acquire possessions, and are likely to be perfectionists. They are basically thrifty with money. Rat people are easily angered and love to gossip. Their ambitions are big, and they are usually very successful. They are most compatible with people born in the years of the Dragon, Monkey, and Ox.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#2 2008-02-07 10:27:03

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: Happy New year 4705!

Yungflutes wrote:

People born in the Year of the Rat are noted for their charm and attraction for the opposite sex.

Well well! Our daughter is not born yet so this leaves me lots of time to work on my scary red-neck act to scare off the boyfriends when they come home wink

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2008-02-07 15:19:26

Zakarius

Yungflutes wrote:

People born in the Year of the Rat are noted for their charm and attraction for the opposite sex. They work hard to achieve their goals, acquire possessions, and are likely to be perfectionists. They are basically thrifty with money. Rat people are easily angered and love to gossip. Their ambitions are big, and they are usually very successful. They are most compatible with people born in the years of the Dragon, Monkey, and Ox.

Funny how zodiacs/horoscopes always seem to correspond to your personality, regardless of which month/year you were born in. As for me, I'm a dragon and yet all of the above save the part about loving to gossip is true. A shame, really... "charm and attraction for the opposite sex" means I'm terminally single sad

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#4 2008-02-07 15:51:54

Moran from Planet X
Website

My wife is a Year of the Ox person and I am a Year of the Monkey. Anyone see "conflict" here? smile

Happy New Year Perry!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#5 2008-02-07 16:01:00

dstone
Website

Happy new year!!

Chris Moran wrote:

My wife is a Year of the Ox person and I am a Year of the Monkey. Anyone see "conflict" here? smile

Boy, you think you have it rough?  I subscribe to the traditional 3-year ro-sham-bo astrological system.  I am paper.  My girlfriend is scissors.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#6 2008-02-07 18:31:24

jamesnyman

I am a rat and my wife is an ox. We have been married for 40 years and I cannot imagine life without her. We are best friends.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#7 2008-02-07 20:35:59

Moran from Planet X
Website

dstone wrote:

Boy, you think you have it rough?  I subscribe to the traditional 3-year ro-sham-bo astrological system.  I am paper.  My girlfriend is scissors.
-Darren.

You may have me on that one, champ. smile

jamesnyman wrote:

I am a rat and my wife is an ox. We have been married for 40 years and I cannot imagine life without her. We are best friends.

That's a legendary marriage there, James. It has inspired some good poetry from you too.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#8 2008-02-07 23:06:18

Kerry

Gishin wrote:

Well well! Our daughter is not born yet so this leaves me lots of time to work on my scary red-neck act to scare off the boyfriends when they come home wink

I'll tell ya Gishin, over the years you really get wrapped around their little finger. And when the time(s) come the thought is, "I could really scare him off for you right now, sweetie, if that would be OK?!wink  The best to you on your upcoming fatherhood. -kerry

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#9 2008-02-08 08:16:50

Rayofwind

Thank you Perry
Happy New Year to you all!!!
I was the guy at the hospital wishing everyone a Happy New year yesterday, getting crazy looks. If someone stated your a little late or whats up, I would just smile and tell them it is the true lunar new year. I even flew a Buddist flag, and gave my Asian Neighbor a small gift left at his door.
If you are the only one standing,  always stand tall.
My you gain wisdom, find compassion, and have a wonder new year.
Ray

#10 2008-02-08 08:46:20

Zakarius

I was about to post mentioning the fact that a lunar year (or normal year, whatever it's called) would be completely different if we lived on another planet... but decided not to post UNTIL...

I saw an ad for dontdatehimgirl.com -- apparently Gishin's prayers have been answered with a website he can introduce to his daughter once she's into her teen years big_smile  Gotta love these Google ads wink

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#11 2008-02-09 08:43:24

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey All, the great thing about the Lunar New Year celebration is that it goes on for another two weeks.
Zak, I bet you'll be hearing firecrackers for the next couple of weeks!

I played shakuhachi and Dizi at a celebration the other night. Following a traditional Lion Dance accompanied by pounding drums and gongs was a challenge to say the least. An audience member approached me after saying how she enjoyed hearing the sound of a solo flute after the thundering drums. I cleared the way for the spinning umbrella girls.

Keep on celebrating and honoring the ancestors!

Peace and health, Perry

#12 2008-02-09 10:25:27

Zakarius

Well, the nice thing about living in Taiwan during the Chinese New Year is that I have a long (10-day) holiday. Unfortunately, the firecrackers are pretty disturbing to my love of serenity. Can't wait to move into the mountains one of these days...

As for my ancestors... they're from Norway, Ireland, Russia, Scotland, Germany and a few other European countries. (In fact, I suppose we all share common ancestors if we could go back long enough...) I don't do anything special to honor them... but if I did, it certainly wouldn't have anything to do with firecrackers which disturb the peace or burning 'ghost' money thus causing pollution & wasting natural resources.

<wonders when the madness will end>

#13 2008-02-09 15:06:49

jb

hi.

Spencer Wells has a book, the Descent of Man. We're all from Africa. There isn't even a genetic basis for race, let alone nationality. National Geographic has a project to get DNA from a lot of people. It's expensive but you can get it done. It'll at least tell you about the ancestors they can trace from Y chromosomes for men & mitochondrial DNA for all. Craig Venter has a little about this in his book A Life Decoded. We're all related.

Hapy New Year.

jb

#14 2008-02-09 15:45:18

radi0gnome
Website

jb wrote:

hi.

Spencer Wells has a book, the Descent of Man. We're all from Africa. There isn't even a genetic basis for race, let alone nationality. National Geographic has a project to get DNA from a lot of people. It's expensive but you can get it done. It'll at least tell you about the ancestors they can trace from Y chromosomes for men & mitochondrial DNA for all. Craig Venter has a little about this in his book A Life Decoded. We're all related.

Hapy New Year.

jb

I'm not sure how the thread got off on this tangent, but despite some shared genes somewhere along the line, and probably a lot more recently than most think, there will be deep cultural differences for ages to come. I kind of like Carl Jung's idea that characteristics you see in others that you don't like are reflections of characteristics in yourself that you are repressing. An easy to understand example is that if you're repulsed by a homeless person it's probably because there's a part of you that could go for that lifestyle but you chose to repress it. A more extreme example is the savagery of Marlon Brandon's cult in the movie Apocalypse Now. The characters in the movie talk about this psychological phenomenon. Whatever is going on, it'll probably be a very long time before we "can all just get along".

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#15 2008-02-09 16:23:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Mankind originated in Tasmania. You guys obviously haven't studied science.

Hey Perry, I am a rat and I will be going for Yum cha this morning at the best place in Sydney. I will think of you while I munch on that!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#16 2008-02-10 07:49:15

manuel

Hi Perry

Xin Nian Hao !!!

Here in Shanghai it was very nice , during the night the sky is allways full of colors with all of thouse fireworks !

I'm a monkey so the rat is a friend ! Sure it will be a good year !

All the best and much love and health to all of you .

Ciao

Manuel

#17 2008-02-10 08:17:49

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Hey Perry, I am a rat and I will be going for Yum cha this morning at the best place in Sydney. I will think of you while I munch on that!

Yum Cha!!! I miss th steam chicken feet with Black bean sauce. Can't get that in Northampton!

mauel wrote:

Xin Nian Hao !!!

Here in Shanghai it was very nice , during the night the sky is allways full of colors with all of those fireworks !

I'm a monkey so the rat is a friend ! Sure it will be a good year !

All the best and much love and health to all of you .

Ciao

Manuel

Manuel penyou, I was on a train from Guangzhou to Beijing once during a New Year. It was so packed, I couldn't move for the whole two day ride.

Xin nian hao!

Peace my friends

#18 2008-02-12 16:58:11

axolotl
Website

Hrm, I'm a Water Rat; I guess Tairaku is a Metal Rat.  I guess I should be playing "Wharf Rat" by the Dead, while he plays "Round and Round"...by RATT? 

Supposedly this Year of the Rat is going to be a good one.  I'm hoping that it bodes well for a certain candidate who is a Metal Ox!

#19 2008-02-13 02:49:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

axolotl wrote:

Hrm, I'm a Water Rat; I guess Tairaku is a Metal Rat.  I guess I should be playing "Wharf Rat" by the Dead, while he plays "Round and Round"...by RATT?

We played a gig with RATT in Norway and one of the dudes came up to me and asked, "Where are you from?" I said, "Milwaukee". He said, "Oh Brother!" and started hugging me. I said, "Are you from Milwaukee?" He said, "No.......America!"

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#20 2008-03-19 00:22:30

Drewau2005

Hello

Thank you for your input.

I wonder if someone can tell me about the compatability between a Water rate and a Metal Ox ? It is new and feesl 'electric' at this stage.
Is it a good match ?

Many many thanks

Drew

#21 2008-03-19 10:10:32

Zakarius

Drewau2005 wrote:

I wonder if someone can tell me about the compatability between a Water rate and a Metal Ox ? It is new and feesl 'electric' at this stage.
Is it a good match ?

I'm certainly no expert, but the term 'rust' comes to mind. Enjoy it while it lasts! wink

Board footer