You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » MONSHOGODO - Meditative Sounds of Old Japan

#1 2008-02-15 07:59:44

Kerry

MONSHOGODO - Meditative Sounds of Old Japan

Received my copy of Monshogodo yesterday and being at a loss for words is often a good thing. I think Michael and Gishin go beyond their objective. The playing and voice are exquisitely performed and resonating. This is a profoundly calming and peaceful effort. A treasure. smile

-Kerry

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#2 2008-02-16 06:00:49

KenC

Re: MONSHOGODO - Meditative Sounds of Old Japan

I received mine yesterday!    WONDERFUL!!!!  I Wholeheartedly agree with Kerry, a Treasure!  The compatibility of Chickuzen's Shakuhachi and Gishin's voice are Incredible!!  My teacher loved it as well and will be ordering a couple of CD's.  One of which will be bound for our Sensei in Hokkaido, who we know will enjoy it. :-)

Hard to pick a favorite but i found Komuso Nagashi  an enjoyable rendition of the Heart Sutra.  I enjoyed the more moderate tempo and the feeling of being more connected to the chant than the typical "rapid fire" chanting.

My congratulations and thanks to them on this effort, and continued success on your future works.  I will look forward to them.

Ken

#3 2008-02-16 06:35:28

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

It’s very nice to hear such positive reviews from all of you so far.

This CD was planned for a while and stemmed out of another project that we were discussing about at the time. So far the CD has been getting some attention and already we are planning to put out another which would take the whole thing to another level in this time trying to use more bells and whistle not telling more than this for now since it’s still in incubation phase and lots of work need to be done before anything gets put out. Also we will try to put out as much concerts as we can before taking the time to move on to the other album so it will be most likely a year before anything is formally announced.

By the way all of you guys are very lucky I am still waiting for my stuff to arrive in Canada  I was told by Chikuzen Sensei that the whole Booklet/CD and Back case came out very nice.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#4 2008-02-16 20:37:46

Moran from Planet X
Website

Gishin wrote:

By the way all of you guys are very lucky I am still waiting for my stuff to arrive in Canada  I was told by Chikuzen Sensei that the whole Booklet/CD and Back case came out very nice.

The CD booklet is very good. Nice to have a picture of you where we can actually see you!

The whole album is wonderful. You recorded it 'live' am I correct? ('Live' meaning you were both sitting in the same room during each track; you would chant, then Chikuzen would play, then you would chant, etc.) It certainly has that immediacy and sense of direct communication between the artists.

Parroting KenC, I'm very grateful for the Heart Sutra recitation. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2008-02-16 20:38:20)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#5 2008-02-16 22:03:37

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

All tracks were recorded live without any special editing and effects added. So basically the sound you get was directly taken and not altered in any digital fashion. Also when it comes to the Shakuhachi and voice all was also blended live no cutting and pasting so the timing was as natural as you can get it.

If anyone wants it when I get back home I can put the translation of the Chapter of the Rishukyo that I was reading on Koku. We were supposed to put it in the booklet but we were never going to have enough space for it.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#6 2008-02-17 09:07:38

edosan
Edomologist

Looks like the great Chikuzen's in there too, fancy that!

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2008-02-17 13:52:39

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I have to say thanks here to Dean Del Bene for the photo in the booklet. I omitted the acknowledgment by accident.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#8 2008-03-06 09:47:55

FumblingZen
Website

Received mine Wednesday.  Simply Wonderful!  smile

Charles

The sword is sharp, but the will must be sharper. - Inoue

#9 2008-06-21 21:01:21

Bruce Hunter

Monshogodo
Meditative Sounds of Old Japan
Sebatian Gishin Cyr – Chant, Michael Chikuzen Gould – Shakuhachi

Amazing interplay between two compatible souls. Vocal music is usually of no interest to me, but this offering gets my attention and holds on to it. The balance is unusually equal, with no evidence that there is something for someone to prove. The relationship mixes and matches well, so that while both express themselves, the core remains, and there is no doubt of what is intended.

I bought this CD out of intellectual curiosity, and am very happy I did, as things have quickly gone beyond that, beginning with the first hearing.

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » MONSHOGODO - Meditative Sounds of Old Japan

Board footer