You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-03 20:53:26

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Akikazu Nakamura in NYC!

Hi All,

If you're lucky enough to be in NYC on Nov 11th, you have to catch this show.

Music From Japan will present two concert programs during its 31st season. The first focuses on the Japanese bamboo flute, shakuhachi. Festival 2006 opens on Feb 11 at Merkin Concert Hall with Akikazu Nakamura on shakuhachi and Michiyo Yagi on 20-string koto. The program of traditional and contemporary works features the world premiere of MFJ-commission by Masao Endo. A pre-concert talk by Ralph Samuelson will examine the shakuhachi today.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/Nakamurapromo.gif

" Akikazu Nakamura's performances on the shakuhachi touches regions of heaven and hell that no bamboo flute player has any right to visit" - London Times

Here's the rest of the tour scehdule.

Feb 11-12 Merkin Hall, New York City
Feb 13 Yasuragi Center, Mahopac, NY
Feb 15 MTSU, Murfreesboro, TN
Feb 16 -17 Converse College, Spartanburg, SC
Feb 19 Freer Gallery, Washington, DC

See you there!
Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#2 2006-02-04 01:18:09

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Akikazu Nakamura in NYC!

Perry, is this part of a 2006 Shakuhachi Festival? If so, I'm there, with video camera in hand.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-02-04 15:37:49

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Perry, is this part of a 2006 Shakuhachi Festival? If so, I'm there, with video camera in hand.

-E

FESTIVAL 2006 is called Masters of Tradition. It is a two day event featuring Akikazu Nakamura on Saturday, Feb 11th at 7pm and New Works by Young Composers on Sunday at 2pm

Here's the breakdown:
7pm -Talk by Ralph Samuelson
8pm - Part 1 - Pieces in the Komuso Tradition: Saji, Tsuru no Sugomori (Nesting of the Crane), Jinbo Sanya and Shika no Tone (with Ralph Samuelson).

Part two Contemporary Works - Masao Endo, Spiritual Ablutions (2005), Akikazu Namakura, Hi no Rasen (1986), Akikazu Nakamura, Shakko (1992).

I was offered two comps but my wife could use a break from the sound of flutes smile Does Jet Blue fly Seattle  - NYC?

Peace, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2006-02-04 15:44:01)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2006-02-04 18:34:43

kyoreiflutes
Website

Actually, Perry, it does. smile Are you looking to sell some tickets or something? wink

So, is this not an event like the 2004 World Shakuhachi Festival, then, or just the concerts? Is there going to be a festival like 2004 anytime soon? I'm itching to do something in regards to it.

-E

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-02-04 19:33:14)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer