Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-07 14:38:48

kyoreiflutes
Website

Chado (tea ceremony) playing?

Sorry to post this again, but I wasn't sure it'd be seen elsewhere.

I've heard that, in certain times, the Chado Master would get a flute player to sit outside the tea house while people sat inside. Is this true? If so, what kind of music would he have played? I assume it'd be more of a folk music than Honkyoku.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'd really appreciate it. There's a couple of monthly demos around town, and I was thinking about volunteering.

Thanks!

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2007-04-09 14:04:50

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Chado (tea ceremony) playing?

Bump.

Anyone?

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2007-04-09 14:55:23

dstone
Website

There was a public O-hanami (cherry blossom viewing) festival at the Nitobe gardens at UBC on Saturday.  (Some similar photos from last year are here.) 

Outside the tea house, while ceremonies went through the afternoon, Marg and Barb from the SSBC played duets.  I can't recognize many folk and modern pieces by name, but I did recognize some Fukuda Rando.  Obviously that couldn't be "traditional", but it sure was nice.  Peter and Al played energetic pieces elsewhere in the garden.  Visitors were mesmerized.  Even I found a corner of the garden to inflict some quiet honkyoku, possibly beyond earshot of the teahouse though.  I think folk and lively contemporary music was most appropriate for such a spring festival.  You're lucky if you can find a regular setting like that to volunteer at.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2007-04-09 18:04:50

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

There is a nice gaikyoku piece called "Chaondo".

From komuso.com:

茶音頭

This is a Jiuta piece in the Tegotomono style from the Ikuta RyĆ» school . Cha No Yu Ondo is also known as: Chaondo. This piece was composed for koto by Yaezaki Kengyo . This piece was composed for shamisen by Kikuoka Kengyo in cir. 1830-1844 .

History (from Tsuge Gen'ichi)
The title means 'Tea Ceremony Song.' This is a popular jiuta piece of the Kyoto style, sometimes called Cha-ondo by the Ikuta School musicians. It was composed by Kikuoka Kengyo in the tegoto-mono form and arranged by Yaezaki Kengyo (1776?-1848) for koto and shamisen ensemble.

Poem (translated by Tsuge Gen'ichi)
In all the world
The best place for flowers
Is Yoshino Mountain;
For scarlet leaves, Tatsuta:
And for tea, Uji,
Southeast of the capital.
But most beautiful of all
Is a certain spot
Southwest of the capital.

Who's your cup of tea?
Once brewed, and steeped in gossip,
Like the many shades of green tea,
One's love will deepen.
Compared
To the waiting pine
The teahouse wall
Is low, but
Their feelings are the same
When they adorn one's chambers.

When an unadorned heart,
Pure as a silken cloth,
Questions an indecisive lover,
The answer may be
As contrary
As staggered shelves.
Why is it so?
When we meet
My heart is as straight
As a bamboo perfume ladle,
But yours is bent
Like the handle of a tea-dipper.

We ease our cares
Talking about old times,
Until we become an old couple
As in a fairy tale;
But the water in our tea kettle
Will never grow cold-
Our fates are bound together
For a thousand,
Ten thousand ages.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2007-04-10 02:39:49

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Cha No Yu Ondo is a nice piece;  my teacher's group played it in both honte and kaede parts together with koto and shamisen a couple of months ago; it's tricky initially as you can get distracted by the other part.  Luckily I was playing honte so it was easier as I was following the shamisen.  Two years ago I was asked to play for the first Kochi Urasenke branch tea  ceremony of the New Year; it was in a fancy Japanese ryokan called Joseikan which has the distinction of being the place where the Japanese Emperor stays on the rare occasions when he visits Kochi (he visited Kochi over a decade ago when I by chance was riding a streetcar back to town and the motorcycle cops and then his black limousine turned right in front of the streetcar to drive into the Joseikan's garage; the street was thronged with well wishers waving little Japanese flags, and the Emperor had his hand out waving to the crowd).  As for the tea ceremony, when I got there I found that I wasn't invited to play for the tea ceremony itself, which went on for about an hour and a half, with guests entering and leaving, admiring the tea bowls, scroll in the tokonoma, the ikebana etc. and passing around very expensive tea ceremony utensils.   After it was over there was a luncheon in another tatami mat room for 30 or 40 people and I played Sagariha, Takiotoshi, and Hifumi Hachigaeshi.  Unfortunately we don't have many little tea houses in town here.  It would be great to be able to play outside one of those little tea houses in temple gardens in Kyoto -- especially that rustic one at Daitokuji that has a little crawl in entrance from the garden outside -- when a ceremony is going on.

Board footer