Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-03-10 04:33:11

Kian

Hello from Geneva

Hello everybody,

I have started playing shakuhachi a month ago or so and after starting with a borrowed hardwood 1.7 and then on a 1.8 (Tai He Tigerwood which I will sell) I have discovered that I rather like the slow pace and deep sound of larger flutes. I have thus purchased two weeks ago a student 2.4 Kyotaku (which sounds like my teacher's 2.55 chokan) from Tilopa in Germany and am now practicing daily with this flute. It is taking a little while to get used to this larger flute, one understands why it is advised to start on a smaller one, but this flutes resonates with me somehow so I accepted no compromise.

I am 43 and father of 3 children and live in Geneva Switzerland. I am nature oriented and like to take this flute outside by the river "Arve" which runs down from Mont-Blanc and passes nearby my house after a 10 minutes walk. I always take my binoculars with me for observation and the flute playing rather complements my spiritual approach to being outside. I will take this flute with me for my regular bivouacs in the Jura chain of mountains.

I have been musing on this forum a lot and now have some questions that are not answered by the search function and would like to start asking questions and hopefully one day, being able to help others.

Kind regards to you all.

Kian

Last edited by Kian (2008-03-10 04:42:27)

Life is like a mirror that reflects our often wrong beliefs

#2 2008-03-10 05:11:33

Zakarius

Re: Hello from Geneva

Welcome to the forum! When I first started playing (on a Tei Hei 2.4), I had a similar realization -- I like longer flutes. So now I play flutes from 2.8 and up. People don't seem to generally enjoy the tone of my 3.3 (D#) or 3.6 (C#), but they "resonate" with me. Stick with it!

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2008-03-10 10:31:00

edosan
Edomologist

Zakarius wrote:

Stick with it!

...and please don't hesitate to ask any questions you have!

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-03-11 03:58:08

Jean

Bonjour Kian et bienvenu au forum. Ce forum est une véritable mine d’or pour les amoureux du shakuhachi et il y a plein de gens super, généreux et très disponibles pour aider les autres. Moi aussi, j’habite Genève et je prends de cours avec Dieter Nanz, peut être le connais tu ?  Nous aurons probablement l’occasion de nous rencontrer à Genève et si tu a besoin de quelque chose et que je peux t’aider, n’hésite pas à demander.

Jean

#5 2008-03-11 07:17:23

Kian

Hello and thank you for your welcome messages, I will have a few questions that I will ask.

For Jean: Oui je connais et suis des cours avec Dieter à Genève, que j'apprécie beaucoup. C'est un peu compliqué car j'aime le côté méditatif et lui enseigne un style différent, mais son Chokan 2.55 sonne comme ma 2.4, je peux continuer un peu avec lui et voir comment cela se passe.

Kind regards

Life is like a mirror that reflects our often wrong beliefs

Board footer