Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-03-10 11:00:59

garfyahoo.fr

what length should i go for?

Hello!

I'm planning to get my 1st shakuhachi pretty soon!
However i have a few technical questions, especially regarding the length, and therefore, the key of the instrument.
I've been reading that the standart length is 1.8, (Key of D minor). Is this the best to begin with?

I've found quite an interesting one on ebay. Length is 51cm / 20.1''. The seller doesn't know the key. Could anyone tell me what kind of shakuhachi this might be?

cheers!

#2 2008-03-10 11:57:02

Zakarius

Re: what length should i go for?

1.8 (D) is the standard size, especially for instruction. So if you plan to take lessons (which the majority of the contributors here will strongly suggest), it's probably a good idea to have a standard instrument on hand. If you're not interested in taking lessons but studying on your own, then having an instrument which is "in key with itself" should suffice except that you may not be able to pitch match recordings of pieces you're trying to learn.

The 51cm flute you found would be a 1.68 shakuhachi (1 shaku = 30.3cm) but its key could actually be a D if the bore were sufficiently wider than normal. The pitch of a flute is directly connected to the inside volume, so a thicker but shorter flute can be a pitch match, as can a longer but thinner one. If you post the link to the flute you're looking at, I'm sure someone here can give a more detailed critique.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2008-03-10 12:06:11

garfyahoo.fr

Thanks for the answer.

Here is the link to the instrument i found. It's quite cheap and so I hope there's no twist...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 2759.l1259

If it's indeed a D one, please be fair and leave it to me smile))

thx!

#4 2008-03-10 12:11:06

garfyahoo.fr

hm, i've looked again at the pics, and the top end seems cracked...
not such a good deal it seems...

#5 2008-03-10 12:12:46

James J.

Garyyahoo.fr,

I can't tell for sure because the picture is small, but there seems to be a pretty wide crack on the back side of the flute near the utaguchi.

#6 2008-03-10 12:18:23

garfyahoo.fr

yes, the utaguchi, that's what i meant smile

bugger! it was too good to be true.

well, I'll keep looking then. if anyone is selling a 1.8, let me know.

#7 2008-03-10 12:30:18

Zakarius

I would strongly suggest buying your first flute from a reputable seller. I noticed that the seller you mentioned sells mostly koi (fish) -- I've heard of some unique materials for crafting shakuhachi, but... heh big_smile

Perry Yung (yungflutes), David Brown and Ken LaCosse all sell on eBay. Perry often lists more affordable shakuhachi there and David Brown's wooden shakuhachi seem to garner a lot of favor as well. It appears that Ken's flutes on eBay are all higher-end, but you might want to check out his website for beginner flutes.

On the other hand, you might want to keep an eye on the Sell section of the forum as a member here just successfully sold off a handful of flutes he found himself unable to regularly play.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#8 2008-03-10 13:09:08

Lance

Oh my....  I guess I should mention the 'Shakuhachi Yuu'....  just type that in to a search and you'll find their website.

This is a molded plastic flute in the shape of a classic rootend 1.8 D Shakuhachi. Don't let 'plastic' turn you off to this flute...  it's substantial, good looking (I think), and plays well. You'll certainly reduce the 'headache' factor of buying a damaged ebay flute and then getting it repaired, especially as a beginner, you probably shouldn't go that route.

I love my 'Yuu' and think you need to do just a little research into it before buying anything. The website is full of info. and sound clips.

Good luck!!! Enjoy the journey!

Lance (fellow beginner)

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

#9 2008-03-10 13:14:41

Vevolis
Website

I've dealt with that eBay seller before. I bought an "Edo Period 1603-1867" menpo with yodarekake, it's on my avatar. It smelled awful, was rusted and had severe sun damage. I couldn't have been happier to receive anything in my life. (Aside from my Shakuhachi)

I suspect that the flute could be fixed… but from a beginner standpoint, it’s best to start as trouble-free as possible to avoid frustration.

#10 2008-03-23 14:07:37

JanF

Not to forget Jon Kypros who is a young shakuhachi maker.
I recently got a very cheep jinashi 2.1 from him. Well tuned through the octaves.  Nice sound.
My teacher tested it and consider it a very good  student flute.
Jan

Last edited by JanF (2008-03-23 14:09:53)

Board footer