World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-03-15 09:57:14

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Hi all

Hi to everyone here,

My name is Toby, I live in Tokyo and Beijing. I spent a number of years worth of weekends at Meijiro in Tokyo learning to make shakuhachi and have completed a couple, although these days travelling between two countries I don't find much time to get out my garibo anymore. In my 22 years living in Japan I have had the good fortune to pick up a number of excellent vintage instruments, including a fabulous Meiji instrument by a maker named Chikudo, whom no one seems to have heard of, but who should have given some lessons to the 20th century makers. One of my most interesting finds is an old Okuralo, which is presently being repadded.

I've never studied the instrument formally but I sort of get by with my own style, although I suppose that most formal players would disagree. I have been playing woodwinds and flutes of all types for about 50 years now, so I have a certain amount of embouchure and breath control, but I really do need to find the time to study the standards and the particular language of the shakuhachi.

#2 2008-03-15 10:58:31

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Hi all

Toby wrote:

Hi to everyone here,

My name is Toby, I live in Tokyo and Beijing. I spent a number of years worth of weekends at Meijiro in Tokyo learning to make shakuhachi and have completed a couple, although these days travelling between two countries I don't find much time to get out my garibo anymore. In my 22 years living in Japan I have had the good fortune to pick up a number of excellent vintage instruments, including a fabulous Meiji instrument by a maker named Chikudo, whom no one seems to have heard of, but who should have given some lessons to the 20th century makers. One of my most interesting finds is an old Okuralo, which is presently being repadded.

I've never studied the instrument formally but I sort of get by with my own style, although I suppose that most formal players would disagree. I have been playing woodwinds and flutes of all types for about 50 years now, so I have a certain amount of embouchure and breath control, but I really do need to find the time to study the standards and the particular language of the shakuhachi.

Hi Toby, Welcome to the Forum!

I have a good friend who plays shakuhachi and other flutes in Beijing. Are you still traveling between the two countries? I'll be glad to introduce you guys.

Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-03-16 22:42:01

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Re: Hi all

Hi Perry,

We corresponded a bit a long time ago. Glad to see you doing well. Yes, I am in Beijing at the moment and move back and forth every month or so. I'd be happy for your introduction.

Best,

Toby

Board footer