Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-03-15 20:17:45

madoherty

Hello.

I am a composer, performer (mainly of woodwinds, but not only), and instrument builder, who lives in Colorado, USA.  I recently have begun to turn my sites toward the shakuhachi.  I have very recently, as in it is in the mail, purchased my first shakuhachi from Perry Yung, and also have begun trying my hand at making one.

I will be looking for a teacher, looks like Boulder will be my best bet.

My music in recent years has been experimentation with silence, "ma", and I am planing on working with the shakuhachi in this regard.  My other musical interests rest in various corners of the world, Japan (hichiriki - gagaku), Armenia (duduk, bloul and folk music), Turkey (ney and sufi music), Ancient Puebloan Flutes, etc.

Just a hello, a shout out.

Breathe deeply and broadly,
Michael

#2 2008-03-16 06:22:56

Marcelo Kaneta
Website

Re: New Member

Hi welcome!

I'm a new player too and I love ancient instruments like you!
So you like gagaku! I think its incredible!
Do you have a hichiriki? I was looking for some instructions trying to make one with my friends.
Keep breathing! Shakuhachi is a long way and its a good way!

"The long journey reveals the depth of one’s faith."

#3 2008-03-16 09:27:26

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: New Member

madoherty wrote:

Hello.

I am a composer, performer (mainly of woodwinds, but not only), and instrument builder, who lives in Colorado, USA.  I recently have begun to turn my sites toward the shakuhachi.  I have very recently, as in it is in the mail, purchased my first shakuhachi from Perry Yung, and also have begun trying my hand at making one.

I will be looking for a teacher, looks like Boulder will be my best bet.

My music in recent years has been experimentation with silence, "ma", and I am planing on working with the shakuhachi in this regard.  My other musical interests rest in various corners of the world, Japan (hichiriki - gagaku), Armenia (duduk, bloul and folk music), Turkey (ney and sufi music), Ancient Puebloan Flutes, etc.

Just a hello, a shout out.

Breathe deeply and broadly,
Michael

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum!
Ma is all around us, like the Yin and Yang.

Looking forward all you have to share about learning with this wonderful instrument.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer