Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-10 11:27:31

Vevolis
Website

Question for music and martial arts enthusiasts about passionate music

So I don't know any of you particularly well, but it's blatantly obvious you each share a deep passion for the Shakuhachi, which would deduct that you're truly passionate about SOMETHING, of which a slipping handful of people in the world seem to be, these days. So, for my question you're all very useful. wink

I have been asked to write a very specific piece of music. It was due on April 1st. I had to request an extension till the last weekend of this month. Here's why:

I've been asked to write a 30 minute "Martial Arts Warm-up" piece of music. It is to be high energy and for any given practice. For 30 minutes. I sent them a 1:40 minute sample a few weeks ago and they said it was very good, but they began to loose interest about 40 seconds in, regaining it near the end. This is because it is progressive. Any given melody is generally short. It is all of your creative focus. I don't believe in the next 10 days I’ll be able to write 30 minutes of straight INTERESTING melody.

So... I need advice on several levels. I know everyone here is doing something esoteric. Are there any martial artists? Are there music enthusiasts? What inspires you in music, what can make it powerful for you? Some people like metal to get pumped up. Some people like the sound of a deep resonant church organ, some martial artists are very esoteric, some are very traditional and don’t like synthesizers or drum beats or overdrive guitars... you get the idea. I have to write something universally valid. This is why I sit at my music workstation and stare off into oblivion. What can I do?

I'm at about... 2:30. I've got a ways to go. I've written 5 meditation albums for this group and they're just taking off... I need to finish this, somehow. I don’t know if I’m looking for suggestions or advice… there’s just something I’m missing in my creative mind that isn’t triggered yet. How can I find something for everyone over the course of a steady 30 minutes?

Scott,

#2 2008-04-10 12:38:25

indigo

Re: Question for music and martial arts enthusiasts about passionate music

dear Vevolis

having been engaged in movement and music via dance and  theater  some examples come to mind

E2E4 by  Manuel Gottshing
Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich
music of Glenn Branca
Brazilian Batucada/ berimbau (instrument) for capoeira therefore the percussionist Nana Vasconcelos
Scotish bag pipe music
Mali guitar players, Afel Boukoum, Ali Farka Toure
Luciano Berio

best of luck, to me warming up is akin to meditation with concentration being the most important element

Last edited by indigo (2008-04-10 12:39:03)

#3 2008-04-10 17:10:25

philthefluter
Website

I have improvised for a class of Tai Chi. Here are some ideas:

Play fragments of different honkyoku.
Use http://www.shakuhachizen.com/ma.htmlma or silence. Punctuate the silence with sudden outbursts of wind/sound. Vary the distance between the outbursts.
Use plenty of single tones but change the pitch (by moving head) or vibrato (shaking head).
Try some extended techniques. Go crazy and do whatever comes to mind (e.g. move fingers randomly in a manic manner, hit the shakuhachi, make strange vocal sounds, etc.)

Have a look at this page on my website for composers which may give you other ideas: http://www.shakuhachizen.com/composition.html

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#4 2008-04-11 11:44:36

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Vevolis,
Get your hands on the theme music to Once Upon a Time in China!
Good luck! Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2008-04-11 15:48:08

Moran from Planet X
Website

There is a Taoist piece of music called, among other similar titles,  Welcoming Guests from Heaven which is a pretty wonderful and profound composition that lasts, in the version I have, about 6 and 1/2 minutes. I think it could provide lots of ideas. Then there is the one of the original 'music of the spheres' piece Angels of Comfort by Iasos. I first heard it in the early-mid 80s (http://iasos.com/).

email: xrismoran (at) hotmail.com.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer