Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-10 17:21:09

Thomas

Unstable RO

Hi Folks,
I'm making a simple flute -jinashi/hocchiku type about 2.2 or so.  I've cut the utaguchi and opened the nodes.  I'm currently working on the sound of Ro before I drill the tone holes.  Otsu and Kan are pretty well in tune, maybe 5 cents off, but Ro Otsu is unstable.  "Bubbly, wobbly, beating" when pushed.  It plays fine with moderate breath, but it breaks up or beats with a lot of breath.  Granted it may be my embouchure, but any advice or insight on improving the resonance of Ro?

#2 2008-04-10 19:28:45

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Unstable RO

Thomas wrote:

Hi Folks,
I'm making a simple flute -jinashi/hocchiku type about 2.2 or so.  I've cut the utaguchi and opened the nodes.  I'm currently working on the sound of Ro before I drill the tone holes.  Otsu and Kan are pretty well in tune, maybe 5 cents off, but Ro Otsu is unstable.  "Bubbly, wobbly, beating" when pushed.  It plays fine with moderate breath, but it breaks up or beats with a lot of breath.  Granted it may be my embouchure, but any advice or insight on improving the resonance of Ro?

Hi Thomas,

If it's not an embouchure issue, first thing I would check is if the bore is too thin for the length. If it's a relatively wide bore, then that wouldn't be an issue. The bottom part of the bore (a little below the the first hole) is important for a stable ro. It may not be opened up enough. The very bottom can be opened too. The half way point in the bore can also be manipulated to influence the tone of ro. It could also be an issue with the blowing edge.

Good luck!

#3 2008-04-12 09:36:28

Thomas

Thanks for the reply.  The bore is on the wide side, so that's not the issue.  Although the bottom part of the bore may not be opened enough; that's definitely a possibility.  Also, the blowing edge may be a little deep; I wonder how that effects Ro.  Anyway, I'll try experimenting with your suggestions.  It's all kind of a learning experience with each piece of bamboo.  Like practicing.

#4 2008-04-16 10:29:04

Thomas

It worked! Thanks Ken. 
The bottom of the bore was in fact too narrow.  I opened it up slowly and carefully, and the RO filled out.  It takes much more air without breaking up, and the tone is pretty solid.  I might keep going to see how far I can push it.  It's cool when you see real results from this mysterious and complex craft.

Board footer