Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-22 17:21:45

Benjamin
Website

Where did this Myoan come from?

I purchased what was advertised as an "80 year old Jinashi Myoan flute"  it plays well, though im not sure if it exactly 80 years.  it looks like it might have had a replacement on the utaguchi.  I was also curious if anyone is familiar with this hanko?  My kanji knowledge is a bit limited, but I think it reads "Minshi" or "People's Law".  Anyhow just figured that this would be the best place to gain some insight on the subject.

Ben

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v233/131/39/607866118/n607866118_1182657_4537.jpg

Last edited by Benjamin (2008-04-22 17:36:05)

Coming, all is clear, no doubt about it.  Going, all is clear, without a doubt.
What then is all? -Hosshin

#2 2008-04-22 23:56:12

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Where did this Myoan come from?

Hello Benjamin,The hanko seems to read :Tamiji

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2008-04-23 00:30:13

Moran from Planet X
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

And for the benefit of us JLI (Japanese Language Impaired) persons, 'Tamiji' might translate as ... ???

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2008-04-23 02:07:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Jeff Cairns wrote:

And for the benefit of us JLI (Japanese Language Impaired) persons, 'Tamiji' might translate as ... ???

Could mean "Hidden Mountain" but might mean "Steak with A1 sauce". Very difficult. We do not use these characters anymore.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2008-04-23 09:50:24

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Tamiji is a person's name.  It literally means 'the person who rules'.  I found this name connected to a deceased potter named Yokoyama Tamiji.  I couldn't find any reference to a shakuhachi maker with the same name though.
Hope that helps.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#6 2008-04-23 10:35:42

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

As Jeff says, a ruler. The top character is commonly read 'min' which is 'people' or 'common people', 'commoner' and the lower one 'tsukasadoro' or'shi'. A character often used as a suffix for a high position. It's the second character of my son's name too. I guess he's been ruling me for about 21 years now. I'll pick another name next time.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#7 2008-04-23 10:42:12

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Could mean "Hidden Mountain" but might mean "Steak with A1 sauce". Very difficult. We do not use these characters anymore.

"Steak with A1 sauce" is definitely better than "One who rules" -- unless the "One who rules" is like a Jeff Spicoli thing like "I rule, Bud!"

I wonder if you could get a hanko with the Japanese translation of "Laphroaig Single Malt Kicks Butt"?

Seriously though, Ben, it looks like an interesting flute. How does it sound? How does it play? Old bamboo is inspiring.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#8 2008-04-23 10:56:17

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Chris, you'd have fun in Japan. You can have a hanko made cheaply on about every street corner with whatever combination of characters you wish. Then take it down to the city office and have it entered as your official hanko.

Interesting looking #5 hole? Really? I don't think it's even a shakuhachi. It looks like a handle on a draft beer dispenser in a shakuhachi bar.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#9 2008-04-23 13:20:34

Benjamin
Website

Chris,
The flute plays ok for me.  I have been making my own flutes out of thicker more dense madake and have gotten used to the flute resting a lot lower on my chin.  This one seems to rest on my lower lip more than my chin.  Since I have not taken lessons from anyone it has been pretty slow going, trying to learn Hon Shirabe at the moment.  It has a nice round and direct tone, sounds more like a Jiari flute.

Thanks everyone for your help. Other than Jeff's connection to the potter, has anyone else seen a flute with this same hanko?

#10 2008-04-23 13:31:46

nyokai
shihan
Website

Ben --

I get to Columbia MO several times a year because my daughter and grandkids live there. If you want, I could give you a lesson when I'm in the area. Or online lessons work well.

#11 2008-04-23 16:17:49

Benjamin
Website

Thank you Phil, I will definitely take that into consideration

Board footer