Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-12 09:04:10

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Welcome to the "Teachers and Dojos" Forum: Please read before posting.

We have been inundated by requests for information from students looking for teachers. Since the reason we started this forum was to promote the shakuhachi and internationalize it, this is gratifying.

Some of the most frequently asked questions we get here are: "Can I teach myself how to play shakuhachi?". Answer "Very difficult". And "At what point in my development should I start taking lessons?" Answer "Immediately or as soon as you find a teacher".

Teachers please post your information here. This should include your contact information, location(s) you teach, your training and license(s) if any, teaching philosophy, repertoire, web site, name of your dojo and anything else you wish prospective students to know.

If you do not fit into any of the categories (East Coast USA, France, Australia, etc.) feel free to start a new one.

Current students, please encourage your teachers to register here and post their information, or post it for them yourselves. Comments from students about their teachers are also fine. Positive ones hopefully.......we like to keep things positive around here.

Potential students looking for a teacher, please post in the topic "I'm looking for a teacher in....." and you may get a response.

This is a new forum as of February 2006. Therefore it will not be comprehensive. There may be plenty of great teachers out there who have not posted. However we hope the flow of information will work and this will become a good clearinghouse for information about learning the shakuhachi.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2007-09-02 18:04:46

ENLIGHTED-ONE

Re: Welcome to the "Teachers and Dojos" Forum: Please read before posting.

I posted my last note in the wrong place. Is there anyone who can teach a beginner Shakuhachi Flute owner in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area.
I found a posted teacher in Austin,  but this is quite a drive. If I get no response from this post in a couple weeks I will try the Austin teacher.
I am going up to New York the first week of Jan and would even entertain the idea of meeting with a teacher for a few days there. I was hoping to find some one sooner. I enjoyed my breathing exercise last night with my new Peter Yung's creations, but hope to hear a note soon. Ha!

#3 2007-09-03 09:59:53

jamesnyman

Stan Richardson teaches in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. He has a website.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#4 2008-05-04 15:56:13

William

I reside in Greenfield, MA and I am in need of finding a teacher/sensei so that I might be better enabled to learn to play the shakuhachi.
I am hoping to find a teacher/sensei in or around the immediate area (i.e., Greenfield, Northampton, Easthampton, Amherst, Hadley, Whately, Deerfield, MA. or even in Brattleboro, VT.
I have had my flute for two days and have managed to get a tone, unfortunately, it is inconsistent and weak.
As you see, I am in need of instruction.
My thanks to all who make sugestions and offer assistance.

William.

#5 2008-05-04 16:49:20

nyokai
shihan
Website

Hi William --

I teach in Boston. I used to live in Brattleboro and get to the Greenfield area once in a while. I've got some recording work coming up not far from there, so I should be around there more often for a while.

Robert Jonas is in Northampton, but I'm not sure if he's teaching these days. He's rbtjonas@aol.com.

#6 2008-05-04 22:59:13

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

William wrote:

I reside in Greenfield, MA and I am in need of finding a teacher/sensei so that I might be better enabled to learn to play the shakuhachi.
I am hoping to find a teacher/sensei in or around the immediate area (i.e., Greenfield, Northampton, Easthampton, Amherst, Hadley, Whately, Deerfield, MA. or even in Brattleboro, VT.
I have had my flute for two days and have managed to get a tone, unfortunately, it is inconsistent and weak.
As you see, I am in need of instruction.
My thanks to all who make sugestions and offer assistance.

William.

Hi William, You can bring your flute by my shop in Northampton. I can tell you if it works.

perry@yungflutes.com

Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#7 2009-06-09 06:14:09

Mark Angevine

I am looking for a shakuhachi teacher in Israel. If anyone knows someone near Tel Aviv, information would be appreciated. thank you.

"Open mouth, already a mistake"

#8 2009-06-09 11:48:57

stevetree

Can someone recommend a teacher in the Los Angeles area?  Specifically the southwestern part, if possible - e.g. Torrance, Gardena.

#9 2009-06-09 12:02:13

Jim Thompson

Hi Steve,
    I teach at my studio in Santa Monica. Not quite your requested location but there aren't too many of us around. Feel free to contact me.  I'll help you any way I can.
                     Jim

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

Board footer