World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-05-11 21:58:32

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

your worst nightmare performance

Here's a question to those of you who have had the experience of performing shakuhachi in public:  What has been your worst performance situation?
I ask this because I had one of my worst yesterday.
The situation was that a small number of my shakuhachi group was asked to put on a demonstration to promote the efforts of a culture center.  The center is located in a big suburban mall and that's where the demonstration was held.  The five of us arrived to find that a stage had been set up in the food court of the mall right next to the kids play area, naturally inhabited by many loud and lively kids, it being not only a Sunday, but mother's day.  Aside from that when we arrived at the stage, the act prior to us was on...7 scantily clad women belly-dancing.  A very difficult act to follow.  We did our best, but it all seemed so futile.  The audience dissipated after the belly dancers and we were left with a lot of noisy kids and their moms who were watching them and quite oblivious to us and our attempts.
A growing experience!

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#2 2008-05-11 22:59:44

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: your worst nightmare performance

Sounds like fun.

I was playing on a boat cruising the Amazon and picked up the flute to play "Kumoijishi"..........no sound. Then I realized there was an overhead fan interrupting my air flow. Unobtrusively I moved away from the fan and things were OK after that. Still, made me nervous at the time.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-05-12 00:56:58

Jim Thompson

Ouch!  Kids and writhing women? You never had a chance. Performing is a high risk deal. Not only because of the musical challenges but because of the externals beyond your control. You have my sympathies and my respect. You are nobler and stronger for the experience. If one wants to be there when it's sweet one has to be there when it sucks. Congratulations!

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#4 2008-05-12 10:56:02

nyokai
shihan
Website

I once had to play solo shakuhachi in mid-afternoon in a sleazy bar, standing in front of a giant blown up image of a dollar bill. The sound guy was clearly on crack and kept yelling out "Yeah, love that kung fu stuff!" as he kept adding more and more reverb.

#5 2008-05-12 12:03:44

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

LOL.
That's funny.
My experience was the opposite. I was playing with a loud band (funk/jam) My mic was not working..no sound at all.

#6 2008-05-12 17:24:15

ima_hima

Tairaku wrote:

Sounds like fun.

I was playing on a boat cruising the Amazon and picked up the flute to play "Kumoijishi"..........no sound. Then I realized there was an overhead fan interrupting my air flow. Unobtrusively I moved away from the fan and things were OK after that. Still, made me nervous at the time.

I often get no notes at first in performances. It's totally nerves, and it doesn't matter if I warm up or not. Last weekend I couldn't play the first few notes of two separate pieces. Both times it was more than obvious to the audience, and the second time I had been playing a warm up during the introduction just a few seconds before (as an apparently worthless emotional balm).

Actually, that second piece was a duet where I played the two-measure intro solo. My partner seemed to take it with equanimity; we just cracked jokes about it. Also, this was on Sunday, and I had played the same pieces just fine the day before. Luckily, I'm starting to get to the point that I don't care whether it happens, at which point I'm sure it will stop happening!

One beneficial aspect of playing honkyoku: the audience has no idea what to expect (and it barely sounds like music), so you can play off mistakes like non-notes as just being some traditional Japanese thing. Mu notes, as it were, emptiness as a performance aspect.

#7 2008-05-13 03:12:59

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

About a decade ago I was invited to play for a variety show following a buffet style banquet at an Indian restaurant in Hong Kong, playing honkyoku sandwiched between fire jugglers and Peking opera, among other acts.  It was my first gig outside of Japan so I was excited about it.  I had been sitting next to a door opening onto a balcony with my flute in hand; it was raining outside and quite cool; dinner had been outside too, until the rain had started up.  The sound check several hours earlier had gone well so I stepped confidently up to the mike; the lights were on me and the audience was in the dark; I could just make out silhouettes of people and tables.   I talked about the history of the shakuhachi briefly and introduced the piece Hifumi Hachigaeshi, then blew into my flute.  No sound issued from my shakuhachi; a bit nervous, I again I attempted to blow into the flute but still got no sound.  I could hear a bit of laughter from the audience...that really got me nervous; perhaps they were thinking it was going to be a comedy act.  Finally I asked for a drink of water from the bar, eventually got my sound going and proceeded to play several honkyoku.  Following that experience I've always tried to remember to keep my shakuhachi warmed up before a performance.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-05-13 03:25:06)

#8 2008-05-13 11:21:29

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

My absolute worst performance experience was on the 8th March 2007. I was going to premiere 3 of the 5 pieces I commissioned for my PhD. The 3 composers promised to finish the pieces month before... but I got all 3 pieces about 2 1/2 ~ 3 weeks before the concert date. All 3 pieces were so difficult that it would have been impossible to have done a satisfying job practicing just 1 for the premiere... I canceled one but had to go ahead and do the biggest fake concert I have ever done with the two others. How to play two pieces (one was a duo with clavichord), pretending you are in control, when the only thing going through my head was 'How did I get myself into this? Wish I could disappear for ever...' One of the pieces is on YouTube! And I DO look like I am about to either scream or cry any moment. The audience was very loud and unfocused too.... After this experience, I had a really hard period - like 9 month where I considered to stop playing shakuhachi. I still can't laugh about it, only try to erase it from my memory.
I'd like to ask any of you pro out there, if you have tried to get into a serious depression about playing and considered to stop playing. If so, how did you work your way through it?

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#9 2008-05-13 11:35:07

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

My first year of studying with Kurahashi Yodo Sensei, brought me many joys. I was fortunate in being able to have 3 lessons per week, each from 2-3 hours long. I also did not have to work much, and so could practice around 4-6 hours per day. But the one thing that frustrated me was the monthly Shakuhachi Kai, when we (myself and my fellow 4-5 "kyodai-deshi" - who were around the same level as me) would get the chance to play with 2 great Kyoto Shamisen/Koto players. On Sangen was SASAGAWA-SHIZUE Sensei, and on Koto was SASAKI Sensei.

I was rather competitive (dumb ass that I was ) with the others, as I knew that I didn't have the 20 years to study face-to-face with my teacher as they did. And I knew that I studied more then them and was progressing very fast.

But the humiliating thing that happened was that when I tried to play each month (Solo) with the string players, almost inevitably my bottom lip started shaking!
I named it "Kuchi-Odori" (Lip Dance) !

I guess it was when my enormous ego decided to take a break (!) that I started to make some quality progress !!

Last edited by Nyogetsu (2008-05-13 11:38:32)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#10 2008-05-13 12:44:20

Seth

I must say this is a delightful thread...thanks for sharing.  Sincerly.

#11 2008-05-13 13:05:41

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi All,
I can't say that I've ever had a nightmare situation with the shakuhachi, maybe just unpleasant ones. Once, an MC introduced me then immediately announced that the food bar was open.

Another time, during the Big Apple ShakuhachI Festival, a prop broke at the beginning of the piece and the whole performance had to be improvised. Even though my partner and I couldn't do what we rehearsed, it turned out to be a lot of fun.

But the all time worst performance situation was a true nightmare. It was in theater. I was performing in Andrei Serban's Elektra in Carnuntum, Austria in the arena of an ancient coliseum where actual gladiator battles once took place, lots of blood was spilled and the ground was soaked in it for centuries.  We had been rehearsing in the space for two days setting sound, lights etc... and quit each day before dusk. But the actual performance started at dusk so that the sunset would have a dramatic impact in the show. Well, you may be guessing now what the nightmare may have been...yup, mosquitos.  Imagine trying to "act" in front of an audience while huge monster mosquitos sat on your face.  I was in the wings for the first part of the show and we were able to swat the mosquitos around us but we all felt so bad for those who were already on stage. You could see hundreds of mosquitos surrounding each actor. I was also incredible lucky as my character enters with a torch in one hand so l was spared an onslaught in the arena. But, it was still a nightmare.

May none of you ever have to perform with mosquitos,
best, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2008-05-13 14:50:44)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#12 2008-05-13 17:50:08

nyokai
shihan
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

I'd like to ask any of you pro out there, if you have tried to get into a serious depression about playing and considered to stop playing. If so, how did you work your way through it?

Sure, I think my relationship with the music world -- the world of humans who make music -- has been like a relationship with a partner who has way too many expectations. Sometimes I get bummed out about being less technically proficient than somebody else, or less flexible, or less charismatic, or worse at promotion, or whatever. But always I come back to remembering three things: 1. There is nothing I'd rather do than make music. 2. There is nothing I can do better than making music. 3. I am offering this music as a gift.

There is no dishonor in having a hard time with the sort of difficulties imposed on performers by many academic "classical" composers. Much of this stuff would sound as good or better if the performer improvised it. There ARE a few composers who investigate interesting difficulty, for instance Frank Denyer's shakuhachi pieces -- that's a kind of difficulty that MATTERS. But the vast majority of notated stuff by academic composers is difficult for no compelling musical reason. It doesn't even celebrate bravura virtuosity, only slavishness to notation and the elevation of abstract sonic manipulations over any heartfelt connection with the real world of breathing suffering joyous people.

As often as possible I try to get together with great NON-professional musicians, people who are excellent listeners with very little ego investment, people who remember that it's about the joy of making beautiful sound. It's one way to get back to what music is all about. Teaching is another way -- feeling the solid value of the transmission. And being around children whenever possible, not musical prodigy children, just regular children, the most natural musicians in the world. They put it all back in perspective.

#13 2008-05-13 18:14:28

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

by the way,
Nyokai is jazz piano player too.
We played once (summer 2006) and discover that he is  a killing bebop player.

#14 2008-05-13 18:50:13

philthefluter
Website

On one occasion when I was performing in the open air, the sheet music blew off the stand (the pegs I had applied failed). Somehow I managed to improvise above the accompaniment and then find my way after a lovely old lady from the choir recovered the music. I was miked and there was an audience of over 20,000. I could feel my whole body shaking but I survived!

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#15 2008-05-13 18:58:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

This is turning into an interesting thread.

Yungflutes wrote:

May none of you ever have to perform with mosquitos,
best, Perry

Too late for that, been there, done that. Last year at the Royal Australian Architectural Society.

nyokai wrote:

Kiku Day wrote:

Sure, I think my relationship with the music world -- the world of humans who make music -- has been like a relationship with a partner who has way too many expectations. Sometimes I get bummed out about being less technically proficient than somebody else, or less flexible, or less charismatic, or worse at promotion, or whatever. But always I come back to remembering three things: 1. There is nothing I'd rather do than make music. 2. There is nothing I can do better than making music. 3. I am offering this music as a gift.

There is no dishonor in having a hard time with the sort of difficulties imposed on performers by many academic "classical" composers. Much of this stuff would sound as good or better if the performer improvised it. There ARE a few composers who investigate interesting difficulty, for instance Frank Denyer's shakuhachi pieces -- that's a kind of difficulty that MATTERS. But the vast majority of notated stuff by academic composers is difficult for no compelling musical reason. It doesn't even celebrate bravura virtuosity, only slavishness to notation and the elevation of abstract sonic manipulations over any heartfelt connection with the real world of breathing suffering joyous people.

As often as possible I try to get together with great NON-professional musicians, people who are excellent listeners with very little ego investment, people who remember that it's about the joy of making beautiful sound. It's one way to get back to what music is all about. Teaching is another way -- feeling the solid value of the transmission. And being around children whenever possible, not musical prodigy children, just regular children, the most natural musicians in the world. They put it all back in perspective.

Many good points here Phil.

Yes you can always find someone who is better than you. Even if you are the best someone better will come along after you're dead! So that's an unquenchable thirst.

Regarding the so-called modern academic classical composers. Most of them are in the business of perpetuating the status quo and create work to fit into the academic world rather than as a means of expression. In the most basic sense they are commercial. Morton Feldman ridiculed this well. He said "He (the composer) is on his way to tenure, but a dropout in art."  Shakuhachi has a strange relationship with this world because so many of the shakuhachi performers going outside Japanese traditional music have an academic background and head to those hills.

Regarding amateurs. I've been concentrating lately on playing with young enthusiastic musicians who are not yet burnt out and complacent.

Kiku Day wrote:

I have gone through a few bouts of musical depression. The last big one was when Sun Ra died. I thought, "why bother when nobody will again reach those heights". I am happy to report learning shakuhachi was what got me out of this funk because I realized I could make music as elevated as Ra's just by studying it and playing honkyoku.

Kiku I watched your piece on youtube and it didn't come across that you were terrified. Sounded pretty good.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#16 2008-05-14 05:43:10

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

nyokai wrote:

These are great points to be conscious about! Thank you! For many of us, music is life! I did come to something similar too. I had to play another of these fairly technical pieces, but this time the composer handed the musicians the score more than 3 month in advance and that made a huge difference. Feeling that I had practiced this piece for so long and so many hours, and that I knew the piece very well gives a sense of being on top of it - being in control of your art. That really helped me put the rough time behind me.

nyokai wrote:

The pieces weren't actually that bad in the sense of being academic. But surely that is a problem one encounters often. The two pieces I premiered March last year were not that academic. But 2-3 weeks were just absolutely too short. The composer and I worked through the solo piece after the concert and we changed so much. These things do need to be done before the premiere - obviously! I think this particular piece will become my favorite piece of all time though. He had thought so much about the jinashi shakuhachi's sounds and he had made quite a few mistakes in what was possible by mixing his own imagination and the sounds he had heard together. But after we fixed the problems, this will become a great piece.
Denyer's music IS fantastic! And the interesting thinkg is that Denyer writes very well for the shakuhachi. He knows the instrument. I have played 2 of Denyer's pieces, and they have been a challenge, but really amazing music. He is the last composer to write a piece in my project. He is writing for a G# Taimu. The piece will be called 'Woman with Jurashi Shakuhachi' and a part of his series of music for women. smile It is supposed to be ready in August. I am looking forward to it, the music and the challenge I know it will be.

nyokai wrote:

Very true. It can be very encouraging to meet people's reaction that has not been trained in any way. The very opposite of being the only player from another ryu-ha at a concert in Japan.
I agree. Teaching is my favorite. I learn so much from the students. It is a very positive exchange.

Tairaku wrote:

I have gone through a few bouts of musical depression. The last big one was when Sun Ra died. I thought, "why bother when nobody will again reach those heights". I am happy to report learning shakuhachi was what got me out of this funk because I realized I could make music as elevated as Ra's just by studying it and playing honkyoku.

That's nice to read what honkyoku can do! Yes, honkyoku goes deep!

Tairaku wrote:

Kiku I watched your piece on youtube and it didn't come across that you were terrified. Sounded pretty good.

Oh, so I did hide my state of being enough so that it is only myself who notices. The clavichord player asked me after the performance, 'Weren't you a bit shaky out there?', so he noticed it too. smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer