Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-05-20 00:36:26

Karmajampa
Website

International Air Travel with Shakuhachi

I am intending to fly to Sydney from New Zealand to the WSF 1008 using Emirates.
I want to carry my Monty 1.8 in its travel case on board as hand luggage.
The travel agent called Emirates to check this out and replied to me that "No, you can't". I called Emirates myself and they said "Yes you can, up to 50 inches length", but they take no responsibility for its care or if the Australian Customs want to have it fumigated.

Any thoughts or experiences or useful tips to share ?

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#2 2008-05-20 01:30:56

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: International Air Travel with Shakuhachi

Hi Kel,
I traveled to Australia last year in March.  I took three shakuhachi with me in a case that is 23 inches long.  I carried in the cabin with me and was asked no questions by Australian customs.  I'm not sure if things have changed since then, but that's my story.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2008-05-20 07:51:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Australian Customs do not care if you bring shakuhachi into the country. Regarding bringing a 1.8 onto a plane. I would not worry about it. I've only been denied when I was carrying LOTS of huge 2.7's and 3.0's onto a plane. However why bother? Just stick it in your suitcase and not have to worry about it.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2008-05-20 17:34:36

Karmajampa
Website

That all sounds encouraging.
I am not bringing a large suitcase, the 1.8 will fit in diagonally without the shoulder case. Shoulder case might be handy walking back and forth from the hotel. This is for the 'Down Under Camp' classes. Plus I would like to bring one or two of my own flutes in my suitcase.......ho hum.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#5 2008-05-20 20:07:50

janemukei

Tairaku, I hope you are not suggesting that I pack my Shiro in the checked luggage...I shutter at the thought! It never leaves my sight.    Jane

#6 2008-05-20 20:16:12

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

janemukei wrote:

Tairaku, I hope you are not suggesting that I pack my Shiro in the checked luggage...I shutter at the thought! It never leaves my sight.    Jane

I'm glad you love the flute. But it's nobe, so THEORETICALLY it could fall into the category of "baseball bats or similar items" which our beloved TSA doesn't allow. However the only time I had problems was with very long flutes. When I travel and do recording sessions or gigs I need 4 or 5 flutes and I usually carry on the 2 piece flutes and pack the 1 piece ones. Ironically the only time I lost a flute in travel was the time I idiotically left one in the overhead compartment, so I would have been better off packing it. I felt like a fool about that until I heard that (one of the most famous Japanese players who shall remain unnamed) drunkenly left one on the train in Japan with similar results. It came back to him years later but someone had worked on the bore and holes and ruined it.

My favorite time was when a TSA dude in Milwaukee asked, "What's this?" I said, "Bamboo flute". He said, "Oh shakuhachi! Do you know John Neptune? He used to be a neighbor of mine in Japan." Small world.

#7 2008-05-21 09:34:57

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi all,
  I saw Shimura Zenpo the other day when we visited Gyokusui and he asked me to ask all of you your thoughts on this issue as well. He is planning on playing Takiochi etc. at the festival and wants to use his fat 3.4 . Any suggestions on how to bring it with him?  He's worried they might make him put it underneath, where the air pressure could cause a minor bamboo explosion. Any thoughts on how to get it there?

#8 2008-05-21 11:09:24

Zakarius

I'd suggest contacting the airline (via the travel agent if need be) to express the nature of the concern and see if the airline can issue a letter he can flash at airport security if the question comes up. The airline may pass the buck to the airport security itself in which case a letter to the effect should clear everything up.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#9 2008-05-21 11:15:46

Elliot K
Website

I'm with Jane on this one. I'd try to avoid putting a flute in a plane's cargo hold - too many fluctuations in temperature and air pressure. I've been using one of Monty's hard cases (basically a long PVC cylinder with tough cordura covering and a solid strap) for all my travelling and it works great. Perhaps Shimura-san could have something like that made to fit his 3.4. In the US the airlines allow musicians to take their instrument on board as carryons (if it's not too large), and I take advantage of this rule every time.
As far as humidity control: dampit. These little wonders are used by violinists, cello players, anyone with acoustic instruments that need a consistent humidity to avoid cracking. It holds a certain amount of moisture without the moisture actually coming into contact with the flute. I modified one with a silver dollar-sized piece of cork mat (cut a hole in it the diameter of the dampit) and this prevents it from falling into the flute. I think their headquarters is in Radio City Station in New York. I then keep the flute in a plastic bag tied with a rubber band.
My favorite "going through airport security" comment was from one of the guards looking at my flute on the Xray monitor: "Is that a dinosaur bone?" (I was very tempted to expound, in my best Cary Grant imitation, on the rarity of this particular intercostal clavicle...)

Last edited by Elliot K (2008-05-21 11:29:39)

#10 2008-05-21 12:49:53

edosan
Edomologist

Josh wrote:

He's worried they might make him put it underneath, where the air pressure could cause a minor bamboo explosion.

For the record, the pressure within the entire fuselage of commercial aircraft is the same, including the baggage compartment below, which is even heated, although not to the extent of the passenger compartment.

If the pressure weren't the same everywhere, there'd be severe structural problems.

The pressure is standardized at about 8,000 feet above sea level.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2008-05-21 12:50:42)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#11 2008-05-21 15:28:55

Elliot K
Website

Hmmm. I stand corrected! If I'd thought about it. I'd probably have realized that I don't hear anything about exploding puppies in cargo holds... Still going to keep my flute with me on board, though.

#12 2008-05-21 16:30:27

Moran from Planet X
Website

edosan wrote:

he pressure is standardized at about 8,000 feet above sea level.

8,000 feet and _I_ get pretty dizzy.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#13 2008-05-21 17:15:12

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

I have traveled for many years with a bag full of shakuhachi.... up to 18 of then, the longest being 3.25. I have only being forced to put it in the luggage compartment once. Usually if I don't carry any other hand luggage with me, I can talk my way through it and get it into the cabin. The problem is usually only at check-in. But... you never know what problems you will encounter and when these days!
Good luck to you all going down under in July! smile Think of me being chained to my computer!

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-05-21 17:16:18)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#14 2008-05-21 17:17:14

radi0gnome
Website

I remember David Darling saying that a very precious cello of his disintegrated inside a hard case after being shipped in a cargo hold. I've heard a lot of bass and cello players buy an extra seat for their instruments.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#15 2008-05-21 17:32:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I've flown both acoustic basses and shakuhachi hundreds of times and never had any problems with them cracking or exploding.

Regarding Gyokusui's 3.4 last time I flew out of Narita with something like that it was OK. But technically there is no difference whatsoever between that and a baseball or cricket bat, which are specifically not allowed. I'd put it in a PVC fishing pole case and check it in. The idea that it will explode is silly. They put dogs in the hold and they don't explode. The other thing is he may be able to check it in from Japan but there's no way to predict what will happen in Australia when flying back to Japan. Australia has STRICT carry on restrictions regarding size and weight of the carry ons. They have made me put stuff in my packed luggage several times.

But tell Gyokusui he may not have to worry about it, if I like the 3.4 I might just buy it! wink

#16 2008-05-22 19:15:16

Josh
PhD
Website

Thanks for all of the info guys.  Exploding doesn't seem to be an issue huh. That should be enough to ease his worries. Brian, Shimura sensei would definately let you play the 3.4, not sure he'll be into selling it though. It's not a Gyokusui though, if I recall correctly it's made by a maker named Kobayashi in Tokyo. He has been talking recently about some various muscle pains here and there do to its size, so that might work in your favor wink

#17 2008-05-22 20:11:23

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Josh wrote:

Thanks for all of the info guys.  Exploding doesn't seem to be an issue huh. That should be enough to ease his worries. Brian, Shimura sensei would definately let you play the 3.4, not sure he'll be into selling it though. It's not a Gyokusui though, if I recall correctly it's made by a maker named Kobayashi in Tokyo. He has been talking recently about some various muscle pains here and there do to its size, so that might work in your favor wink

I misunderstood the original post because it mentioned both Shimura and Gyokusui. Anyway.......I like to see nice 3.4's. Is it nobe and jinashi?

#18 2008-05-23 00:15:17

Josh
PhD
Website

No problem, that's what I figured. Nobe and jinashi all the way, that is definatley his thing. I'll see if he can bring some other goodies too. I'll introduce you guys in Sydney, he's good fun.

#19 2008-05-23 01:20:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Josh wrote:

No problem, that's what I figured. Nobe and jinashi all the way, that is definatley his thing. I'll see if he can bring some other goodies too. I'll introduce you guys in Sydney, he's good fun.

I have met Shimura san before, definitely have a lot in common. I recommend for a long flute like that going to a fishing store and finding a nice hard case. That's relatively cheap and very sturdy. It's a good way to carry around a single long flute.

#20 2008-05-23 01:29:35

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Josh wrote:

I have met Shimura san before, definitely have a lot in common. I recommend for a long flute like that going to a fishing store and finding a nice hard case. That's relatively cheap and very sturdy. It's a good way to carry around a single long flute.

For long flutes or people that carry a lot of flutes like you Tairaku I suggest getting a hard case for golf clubs with rollerblade wheels at the bottom. When I used to travel a lot back and forth from Japan carrying old swords that were going to Japan for restoration or coming back with me I would always use that case. I would use Bubble wrap around the swords or just pack the swords with all my clothes that did not needed any ironing. That case was the best thing I could ever get. I was able to pack a lot of blades and most of my clothing at the same time.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#21 2008-10-09 00:30:17

Yu-Jin

So, did anybody have any problems taking shakuhachi inside the airplane? I will be flying on Friday to another state.

#22 2008-10-09 00:52:31

Zakarius

I recently flew from Taipei, Taiwan to Denver, Colorado, USA. I had my 2-piece 3.3 in my huge suitcase and carried my nobekan 2.8 on the plane. I was surprised to have no problems with the carry-on. In fact, when I was going through security in a transfer in Japan, a security guard asked me what it was as he handed it to me... the word "shakuhachi" brought a big smile to his face. I also had two 3-hour layovers both ways and found more secluded/unoccupied spots in the airports to practice.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#23 2008-10-09 01:09:57

Karmajampa
Website

No problems at all. Carried four flutes on board with me. One in Monty's case, three of my own wrapped in cloth. Describe them as Professional instruments so they are not regarded as something bought at some ethnic market.
Having a flute to play in the airport waiting lounge is just a great way to spend that time.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#24 2008-10-09 07:08:09

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Tairaku wrote:

Australian Customs do not care if you bring shakuhachi into the country. Regarding bringing a 1.8 onto a plane. I would not worry about it. I've only been denied when I was carrying LOTS of huge 2.7's and 3.0's onto a plane. However why bother? Just stick it in your suitcase and not have to worry about it.

Are you sure about this? When I traveled to Australia about 10 yrs ago Customs went absolutely bonkers about the fact that I was carrying wooden items. I was told that NO WOODEN ITEMS are allowed in the country from abroad--period--and everything had to be left in the airport for the time I was there. They are, of course, afraid of termites and other bugs which infest timber. I also had a bamboo flute from Papua New Guinea, which they were none to happy about. It was incarcerated along with the drums and carvings. These guys also went nuts about the fact that I was carrying sea shells, which they said are animal products (verboten), and coffee beans in sealed bags (no food items).

This is obviously extreme, but the Australian laws on importing are about the strictest in the world.

I suggest that the OP contact the nearest Australian Embassy to get the official line. Of course you might get through, but then again you might hit guys like mine.

Toby

#25 2008-10-09 10:06:49

lowonthetotem
Website

In the US they may consider it a weapon along with nail clippers, pencils, and pens (ok some exaggeration there).  Try to be tolerant of ethnic slurs like, "Basket Head," from the less enlightened of our society.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

Board footer