Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-05-31 15:20:07

Ninjabathy

Advice please - do I need a more expensive, root-end shakuhachi?

Hi everyone.  I'm new to this forum, and to shakuhachi.  I must firts apologise - this is a duplicate posting; I posted in misc. under rootend 1.8 for under £300, which I realised after naming the subject that I may be misleading.  Sorry.

I have a lot of experience with other instruments (guitar, violin and ocarina), and have previously played a £10 Xiao a fiar bit because I wanted a nice meditative sound like I'd heard in Asian cinema; I liked the breathy, bamboo qualities.  My Xiao wasn't very good, so I looked into it and eventually bought myself a 1.8 Earth Shakuhachi from Perry Yung a week ago.  I'm off work due to illness (my lungs collapsed), so I've had plenty of time to play about and feel I am (already!!) not so bad.  I can play easily in 2 octaves (my transition between the 2 in speedy passages is still a little wobbly!), and I feel I have really made a spiritual bond with the instrument; I love it to bits and I know I have found a new life-long friend in it. 

The thing is, on Perry's description of the flute, he states his Earth range is not of a quality suitable for professionals (those cost $1000 or more).  I can't afford this, but would really like to experience playing on a rootend flute bult to very high standards to see what the differences are, and prevent myself blocking my potential with the instrument.  This happened to me with my guitar practice; I had been playing for about 5 years on cheap guitars and Epiphone Les Pauls to a standard where I could play along with my favourite artists (Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Slash etc for those who like rock here...) , and improvise solos over the top etc., but when I bought a top of the range Ibanez, it really unlocked my playing so everything felt so easy in comparison.  I am guessing that this would be similar with a very expensive shakuhachi; greater sensitivity to changes in embouchure, clearer 1/2 and 1/4 shades, and easier to reach Ha notes in the third octave (I find these very difficult at the moment, even with varying shades over the thumb hole and massive adjustments to embouchure - it doesn't seem possible to me to incorporate these notes into a speedy and fluid run - I know it's not very Zen, but I like the ability to play quickly if I feel like it!).  Am I right?

I have been trauling eBay and the internet for information; I have lost out (damn snipers) on several auctions for some nice-looking antiques, can't afford Perry's Yung range, but could stretch to the upper end of his Chikusing range.  I really would like a root end this time, as I feel my Earth flute is as nice as I can get (it's got nice binding (not inlaid) and an inlaid utaguchi - he upgraded it because it sounded so good).  I found what seems to be a nice Jinashi flute made by Jon Shingetsu for $250.  Does he have a reputation here?

Please could someone advise me as to what I should do, where I should look, or if I should just save up a load and order a more expensive flute.

Thanks very much for your time, all of you!  Sorry I'm so long-winded (it's good for shakuhachi, though!  lol)

#2 2008-05-31 15:45:04

Jon Shingetsu
Website

Re: Advice please - do I need a more expensive, root-end shakuhachi?

Hello,

Antiques, even really nice ones, usually play with some difficulties. Whether it be antique Jinashi or fully pasted Jiari. Most of the old shakuhachi on eBay do not seem very worth it unless Perry has worked on them and is selling them ("Tensei" flutes).

My teacher has some used Jiari at nyogetsu.com/flutes (look under 1.8's) you can audition them at no risk.

http://www.japanshakuhachi.com/ has great new and used flutes I've heard and you can audition them. I think most are out of your price range?

Monty Levenson of shakuhachi.com makes "cast-bore" flutes and his student models for $400-something are way better than the plastic Yuu. You can't get a root end for that cheap though I don't think.

If you ever want to learn the music these are made for you can study with my teacher via mp3, cassette in the mail or new internet chat video. If you do you'll need a 1.8 "D". Or if you can study with someone in person that is best.

Good luck,
Jon~

Last edited by Jon Shingetsu (2008-05-31 16:24:30)

#3 2008-05-31 15:49:15

Ninjabathy

Jon, thank you very much for your reply.  I am actually interested in Item number: 280230356692 (your 1.8) on eBay.  It looks beautiful, and exactly what I'm after, would it be suitable?  I actually just asked you about it on eBay (coincidence!).  I will have a look on the sites you recommended.  Thanks very much again!

#4 2008-05-31 15:56:58

Jon Shingetsu
Website

Hey, you're most welcome. In my opinion a Jiari would be want you would want. I'd save up and invest in a nice Jiari 1.8.

#5 2008-05-31 16:00:36

Ninjabathy

Jon, thank you very much again.  Your honesty is much appreciated; I'll stick with my Earth 1.8 by Perry Yung, and have a look at his more expensive flutes, and those on the sites you recommended (I'd already been checking those out, but you were right; for now, they're a little pricey for me) nearer Christmas (when I have an excuse for blowing a grand on a nice stick with holes in).

Cheers,

James

#6 2008-05-31 16:09:37

Jon Shingetsu
Website

Hope you eventually get to also take lessons especially if you invest in a nice one.

All the best,
Jon~

#7 2008-05-31 16:37:41

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I think you should play more and save your money till you know more about flutes and are able to play them better. Also, if you're taking lessons with a reputable teacher than he will be helping you learn how to  evaluate a flute as you progress (and if you ask him to do so). Then you'll be able to be more a part of the buying process than taking others words for it. Changing from a Perry Yung Earth flute to a jinashi for $250. can't really be called an "upgrade".

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#8 2008-05-31 16:57:20

Ninjabathy

Thanks Cikuzen, that's what I thought.  I got a particularly good Earth model, I guess I was just looking for what looks like the best, but at an affordable price (something that is in reality, impossible - no such thing as a free lunch springs to mind).  I reckon you probably get what you pay for, and in my case I got a little bit more; I love my flute, so I'll just play it and improve my skill until I can feel myself being limited by the instrument, and I suppose without testing out loads of flutes, the only way to do that would be through a teacher.  It's different to guitar as there just aren't shops about with loads to try before you buy.  Gonna go hunt for more instructional materials and some virtuoso players to try to copy!

#9 2008-05-31 17:04:28

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jon Shingetsu wrote:

Hey, you're most welcome. In my opinion a Jiari would be want you would want. I'd save up and invest in a nice Jiari 1.8.

Doesn't matter if it's ji ari or ji nashi. Just that it's good. It depends on what music you are studying and with which teacher.

Ninjabathy wrote:

Gonna go hunt for more instructional materials and some virtuoso players to try to copy!

Taking lessons is a better idea. With shakuhachi it takes a considerable amount of time and technique before you can start thinking for yourself and copying from recordings and teaching yourself from books.

chikuzen wrote:

I think you should play more and save your money till you know more about flutes and are able to play them better. .

This is very good advice for all beginners and even advanced players who do not have experience playing a lot of different styles and flutes. Knowledge is power. Even pros have to spend a lot of time experimenting before they find the flutes that work for them and the music they are playing.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#10 2008-05-31 19:33:53

Ninjabathy

Tairaku, thanks for your input, I appreciate it.  I'm taking everything onboard.  Even though I haven't been playing the shakuhachi long, I believe I've got a fairly firm grounding due to my practice with the Xiao and Ocarina.  A lot of the breath control techniques are similar, if not identical, and I've been playing ocarinas for about 8 years...  My violin music theory helped me a lot with the guitar, so I've got a bunch of theory down, and I'm a science teacher, so I know a fair bit about harmonics and the way flutes work etc, too (physics), and I actually make my own ocarinas; the stuff that I'm having to learn at the moment, I hope I can do for myself based on my experience (it worked for me with guitar). 

I'm currently teaching myself Honkyoko from various sources along with mp3s from the net which I use to figure out what technique sounds like whatever.  It may be unconvential, but I seem to be replicating the sounds I hear pretty accurately.  I feel a real connection with my flute, and it's very meditative for me; I feel truly at peace as I play, and freer to express myself than on instruments where I filled my mind with theoretical clutter.  I'd love a teacher to tell me where I go wrong so I could improve, but I think I can hear what's good and what's not, so it's enough for me; teachers often will guide you very well to sound like how you should sound according to their particular conventions.  This is why I say I'll try to copy the player I choose; it saves me money, and I'll be more motivated to succeed if I'm playing when and how I want.  All I want is a beautiful melody, and I am not bothered about trying to classify it as a certain style.  I hope this is not seen as ignorant, arrogant or narrow.

I know that this may limit me as a shakuhachiist, but if I hear a sound, and like that sound, I can learn how to do it (I know teachers could help me here), so I shouldn't be limited in my expression as an artist.  The reason I wanted advice on which flute to buy is to see which will make the most beautiful sound and is the least limiting; I can't afford to get a custom jiari built for me just to find I don't like the feel of the sounds.  I think what I will do is continue on my path, save up a bit, and go for a Perry Yung flute (I know the feel that fits him seems to fit me well too) and hope I can swap it if it's not exactly perfect for me.  I wanted free advice as I know that the necessary experimentation can be costly.

Thanks everyone for their feedback, it's been great.  Good forum!  I'd like to hear if any pros agree with my way of learning; I know it works with guitar, but are there any pros here that have learned in the way I like to learn (just feel my way and play from my heart), or is everyone here instructor trained?  I'd love to hear views on my methods.

Thanks again.

#11 2008-05-31 19:47:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

That's good, but Japanese music differs from Western music in the sense that it is not pitch oriented. In shakuhachi music there are numerous ways to achieve the same pitch and you can't tell what they are just by listening to a recording. It may sound to you that you are "getting it" but you might be using an inappropriate fingering or technique. This is one of the reasons we take lessons. Even within the context of tradition there are still a lot of variances but there are also things that no school does. Don't get me wrong. I teach myself in much the same manner as you describe because I don't have a teacher around here.  But I'm doing it with a decent understanding of how this music and instrument work. I guess my advice is to take some lessons before you decide you don't need lessons. When I started I likewise thought I could do it myself and quickly learned otherwise simply by taking a few lessons. The danger is that when you hit the wall and realize you do need lessons you will have taught yourself a lot of bad technique you have to unlearn. There is also something beautiful about the teacher/student relationship you can't have with yourself.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#12 2008-05-31 20:16:21

Ninjabathy

I do agree with you fully, with every point you have made.  Teachers seem sparse here in the UK (I bet they are in Tas, too, but you're nearer Japan.  lol)  I have already noticed loads of ways to get the same sounds (all the ways do sound tonally different, even though the note is the same); it's the same with all the instruments I play (Violin I'd say least - it's easily the most restrictive), though perhaps most with the shakuhachi.  That's actually the whole reason I like it, different sounds for the same note, so I reckon it sounds as though I'm on thee right track...  I don't mean I don't need lessons to be technically awesome, but I can be pretty expressive without someone telling me my wrist is at a funny angle (a lot of that in guitar lol).  I have also been enamoured with the Japanese culture for a long time (been studying the martial arts since the age of 4!), so I "get" a lot of the ideas of empty space/mind, and using the entire body/instrument for expression, whether that may be blown notes, or taps with the finger, or flicking into and out of notes, tons of ways to do vibrato etc.  I would actually like the odd lesson, unfortunately I just don't feel it would be practical for me at this time in my life to get an instructor that I'd have to travel to, so sadly I will not be able to have a relationship with a sensei; my schedule is packed enough with trying to get back to teaching after my collapsed lung, sorting out my house my girlfriend and I just moved into, and having loads of BBQs in the summer evenings (my fave shakuhachi time, out in my garden in the sun with the birds by my pond, and wind in the trees).  The video-lessons thing does appeal to me a lot, and I will no doubt try it at some point.

You have encouraged me to get lessons, so I thank you - I probably would never have even bothered before speaking with you tonight, so you have made a difference.  I hope from spending time here and asking questions to you guys, I can gleen all the tech info I can.  (How do I reach the third octave Ha notes without harmonic undertones?) lol

Thanks again, again! lol

#13 2008-05-31 20:46:25

Ninjabathy

You'll all be pleased to know I just got in touch with Nyogetsu to enquire about some online lessons.  Thanks for spending my money for me tongue
I intend to have sporadic lessons and see where they take me; it's good just to have someone to fall back on in case of stumbles.  I'm sure I won't have too many, though, I'm still a little sceptical that I can be helped.  lol.

Thanks everyone (off to bed!)

#14 2008-05-31 22:14:24

Jim Thompson

Ninjabathy,
    Congratulations! I think you'll find the teacher very helpful. There are certains tehcnics and fingerings you would never be able to figure out on your own.  Good luck.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#15 2008-06-01 04:49:31

Zakarius

Ninjabathy wrote:

You'll all be pleased to know I just got in touch with Nyogetsu to enquire about some online lessons.  Thanks for spending my money for me tongue
I intend to have sporadic lessons and see where they take me; it's good just to have someone to fall back on in case of stumbles.  I'm sure I won't have too many, though, I'm still a little sceptical that I can be helped.  lol.

I started off with self study my first year of playing and really improved. When I started (online) lessons, however, the improvement was drastically hastened. I'm guessing you'll find the same wink

Ninjabathy wrote:

(How do I reach the third octave Ha notes without harmonic undertones?)

The emboucher required for skilled playing isn't easy -- as your ability to control the airstream improves, you'll subconsciously learn how to avoid (or hit) the subharmonics. Then again, every flute has its limitations...

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#16 2008-06-01 07:27:12

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Ninjabathy
You asked about buying from ebay. One thing about older shakuhachi is that they are usually what we would call out of tune. Perhaps only since the last 30 years, have makers (some, not all) been strict about pitch. Mostly the 3rd hole is the most out of tune, since its position was chosen for aesthetic reasons. Nowadays (most) makers choose the hole positions according to pitch. Other holes can be out of tune too. So if pitch is important for you, bare that in mind.

Also there are many kinds of "good" shakuhachi. First different people have different tastes. But then also different shakuhachi are more or less suitable for different genres of music. This usually depends on what music the shakuhachi has been made for. Different genres or schools use different techniques. Often a shakuhachi made for school A, which doesn't use school B's techniques, can't properly play school B's music.

So as someone has already said, it may be best to wait. When you are more familiar with the music you will be playing, you will better know about buying a suitable shakuhachi. And as good ones are expensive (generally around £1000~£2500) it's good to get the one which will be right for you. Ideally, if you share similar tastes with your teacher, it is good if he/she can test the repertoire you will play, on the shakuhachi before you buy it.

Good luck
Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#17 2008-06-01 08:10:36

Ninjabathy

It's all good advice, cheers guys.  I think you're all right, so I'm going to research a bit more with a teacher to find out which style suits me the best, and then have a look for a shakahuchi which fits both myself and my chosen style best.  I just hope I don't get bogged down with trying to learn another new system of notation and all the language that goes with it.  In my heart, I need to be creative; I just don't want to feel any stress while learning.  I don't want to be a pro (I've got guitar if I decide to go down that route), I just want to be able to make the most beautiful sound to my ear, and feel I am very close with my current shakuhachi, I just want to know what's out there to achieve that goal.

Thanks again,

James

#18 2008-06-01 10:48:57

Ninjabathy

Just managed to do some of the third octave with no harmonic undertones - I just had to press my bottom lip slightly harder against the flute and widen my lips slightly, and actually not uncover the thumb hole at all.  I kind of spit the note out with a ta feeling... If I try to "roll" smoothly into it from another note, I still get the harmonics.  Is this normal?  Does it sound like I'm doing it right (lol, i'm posting in the wrong forum and trying to get free lessons now... hehehe) tongue  I'm actually really looking forward to my online lesson - it's funny, the more I play the instrument (I'm doing about 10 hours a day at the mo cos I'm off work), the more I start to notice inconsistencies in my tone -  that's what I'm working on at the moment - trying to get an identical sound (it's always in tune, just different "feel" to the vibrations of the bamboo) by messing around with embouchre subtleties and tiny little twists of my head or the shakuhachi (I noticed the utaguchi is ever so slightly skewed, to rolling it gently can produce very different tones!).  It's pretty cool, I love exploring all this!
I reckon I'm starting to know what to look for as well... when I shade notes, they come out quieter; they're in pitch, but they don't have the same kind of honky tone - they're smoother and softer... is this OK, or am I fingering it wrong, or is it more likely the flute?
Anyway, this really is a wonderfully expressive tool; the more I play it, the more I fall in love with it's intricacies from such minor adjustments.  I think I will really enjoy trying to make such fine control so that I can play consistently.  Tis cool!  Maybe it's the ease of consistency that I would gain from a more expensive instrument.

I'd just like to say thanks again to everyone here, you really are an accommodating community, and I'm glad to make my little self a part of it!  Cheers guys,

James

#19 2008-06-01 21:29:08

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hello James,
After reading this thread, it seems to me that you are saying that you don't care to adhere to any particular school or style, that you don't intend to necessarily approach the shakuhachi from a traditional point of view, that you aren't interested to represent yourself publicly in association with the traditions of the instrument and that you are only interested in playing from the heart.  If that is so, then your methods are perfectly fine.  However, if you have any interest in playing any of the traditional repertoire, regardless of it's origins, then the advice you received above makes a lot of sense.  You seem to be very attuned to the exploration/discovery process.  That's great.  It will serve you regardless of which route you decide to take.
As for third octave notes, from a traditional point of view and also that of my particular lineage, some notes require the 5th hole open and some require it closed.  Your experimentation may be discovering that, but it might also be leading you into a dead-end path.  I'm sure your online lessons will help to clear that up, however you must be patient.  Third octave playing is not usually something tackled by beginners.  One reason is that it appears in a limited way in the Kinko repertoire (it tends to appear more in the Tozan repertoire) and rarely above yon no ha (E on a 1.8 tuned to D) and all of the 3rd octave notes that do appear in the Kinko repertoire up to yon no ha are played with the 5th hole completely open.
Also, 'spitting' third octave notes out might be a way to produce sound at this point, but it's also not a good habit to get into and certainly would be something that a teacher would correct.  It's all about being in control of the subtleties of the sound.  There are definitely times when it's desirable to 'roll' into the note and between notes.  If you are in the habit of achieving notes with an exaggerated attack, you will be forced to 'un-learn' that later on, which is probably a challenge that you don't necessarily need or even want. 
You have a good attitude and that will help you immensely.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#20 2008-06-02 04:00:56

Ninjabathy

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for that, it's very helpful.  I am actually interested in learning some of the traditional repertoire, just because it will enhance the "feel" of my music; I'll pick up runs of notes with a traditional Japanese feel which will help my improvisation so I can give my music that same feel, If i want it.  I've also been looking through notation charts at different ways to achieve notes in various scales, and I was doing a little wrong.  I've also already managed to iron out the spitting!  That was a morning thing... by evening yesterday I could roll around in both scales (not technical terms! lol), but I have to adjust my embouchure a bit on the "hi" note in the kan register.  Once I have that note perfect, I seem to be able to hit all the notes pretty sweetly, and just move my jaw forward/head back/blow softer for the otsu register.

I've just noticed that to talk to you guys and express myself on this forum, I am learning all the traditional terms anyway, lol, so it seems that some of my early posts were pointless!  lol  My first lesson also is all booked up for thursday, too, so I'm on my way!

That little discovery actually helped me realise I don't think I need a more expensive flute at all; mine's absolutely perfect for me!  I had a listen to mp3s of Perry's more expensive flutes, and I decided that they (Perry, if you read this, sorry) sound slightly more manufactured and perfect.  I think that maybe looking for a modern "perfect" flute, which obviously gives excellent pitch control and very pure notes actually looses the raw bamboo feeling of some of the notes.  lol, they sound too good, if you know what I mean?  I actually like mine better, I think!  I reckon, in a way, I already have my perfect flute.  I'll probably change my mind a whole lot as I get better, though! hehe.  Question answered then - do I need a more expensive flute?  Not yet, I'm too much of a no0b!  lol.  Thanks everyone, I'm glad I registered here, ther're a bunch of interesting opinions here!  Ciao!

#21 2008-06-02 05:22:40

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Ninjabathy wrote:

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for that, it's very helpful.  I am actually interested in learning some of the traditional repertoire, just because it will enhance the "feel" of my music

I mentioned that different shakuhachi are crafted to particular repertoires. So a good maker would have a good grasp of the repertoire he makes for, and create the shakuhachi for that. But actually, it's a bit more complex than that. Both the music and the instrument are the result of a co-evolution. This means, the creative process was interdependent between the two. Traditional shakuhachi music, as we have it, could not have been composed for any other instrument. This is particularly so with the solo music (i.e. honkyoku), but even for the ensemble music (sankyoku), in terms of nuance. And at the same time, the music was shaping the instruments. So their development is inseparable.

What relevance this has in this context is, that learning the traditional music may actually be the best way to encounter the potential of this instrument.

Imagine that a farmer found a racing car, and discovered that it worked well in his field when he attached his plough to it, to plough his field. He may be very satisfied, and indeed there is nothing wrong with that. But the racing car also has great potential on roads, to race etc. It might even be said that through the design process, the car is destined to race.

What I am pointing to here is just as an exploration of the potential. I think this is relevant for beginners, but also for composers who may compose music for the shakuhachi - some (not all) modern shakuhachi music sounds as if it were composed as music without an understanding of the shakuhachi's "nature" or refined potential. And I also find this relevant in collaboration, for example shakuhachi used in other "non-shakuhachi" genres. I think for all of these things, training in the traditional genres gives a great deal. They are the "natural habitat" of the shakuhachi.

Best wishes
Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#22 2008-06-02 09:30:56

nyokai
shihan
Website

Justin wrote:

...learning the traditional music may actually be the best way to encounter the potential of this instrument.

Couldn't agree more.

#23 2008-06-02 17:25:06

Ninjabathy

nyokai wrote:

Justin wrote:

...learning the traditional music may actually be the best way to encounter the potential of this instrument.

Couldn't agree more.

Justin and Nyokai, I agree; this is actually what I was trying to get across!  lol, I'm just not very eloquent tongue

Thanks guys

Board footer