World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-06-03 10:17:07

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Formation of S.W.A.B.S

Kiku Day wrote:

Radi0gnome, when I go to California next time, I will bring a cask strength single malt Scotch Whisky. We share that bottle and you can be a proud member of SWABS and I will have had good company while enjoying the whisky. Do we have a deal?

Thanks for the offer Kiku! But it's an awful long way from NY to California. If your travels bring you to NY let me know. I never even knew these different scotches existed until now.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#27 2008-06-03 15:02:56

Seth

Tairaku wrote:

Seth wrote:

I happen to be staying at a very trendy but fairly lousy hotel right now in Bangalore, India and I will order my first Bombay Sapphire this evening via room service.

I'm just down the road in Columbo at the moment, why don't we hook up?

That would've been awesome but I have to run home when I am done here...but Ill be back in a few weeks...  Are you in Sri Lanka often?

I wonder how the elephants in Kandy would respond to some shakuhachi?  Anyone ever play for an elephant?

#28 2008-06-04 04:20:33

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

Now that's an offer that even a confirmed abstainer would find very difficult to turn down.  The offer would certainly be welcome in Kumamoto Kiku. smile

Hi Jeff. Next time I go to Japan, I will make sure to make my way down to Komamoto. I used to live for a short time with a Zen monk on Yakushima, and I would love to go and visit again. So Kumamoto - Yakushima with a few bottles of whisky under the jacket sounds good to me! And I am sure some shakuhachi notes will sound!

radi0gnome wrote:

Thanks for the offer Kiku! But it's an awful long way from NY to California. If your travels bring you to NY let me know. I never even knew these different scotches existed until now.

Hi Radi0gnome. I am planning a trip to California sometime next year together with Frank Denyer. But I am sure I will fly out of NY back to Europe. I have some family to visit in St Louis and Virginia Beach as well, so I will probably do a few stops in the US. See you then!

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-06-04 06:05:49)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#29 2008-06-04 10:34:23

Zakarius

Despite the fact that some of you may decide to hurl empty Bombay Sapphire bottles at me for asking...

Since this is a forum dedicated to a traditionally Japanese instrument, why aren't any of you talking about sake?!

Zak -- jinashi size queen (wearing a padded tengai just in case)

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#30 2008-06-04 11:04:29

Josh
PhD
Website

I hear ya Zak!  I'm sipping my nihon-shu right now, enjoying this forum, as well as enjoying possibly one of the last cool nights before the summer heat hits here. Cheers! Kanpai! What do they say in Taiwan Zak?

#31 2008-06-04 19:04:35

Kiku Day
Website

Zak and Josh.
If you are making the NSASBS (Nihon shu and shakuhachi blowing society), I will certainly be a member too! ! ! ! Aaahhhhh the little sake breweries in Japan..... I miss them!
While making my way to Kumamoto to drink whisky with Jeff, we can do a little sake tour. Coming with me, Josh? we can blow in the mornings and do sake tastings in the evenings! smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#32 2008-06-04 21:40:49

Zakarius

Josh wrote:

Cheers! Kanpai! What do they say in Taiwan Zak?

"Gan bei!" I'll stick to my iced lattes wink

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#33 2008-06-06 02:43:36

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Don't forget Shikoku on your sake tour. Kochi is well known in Japan for its sake and also has a reputation for its hachikin, strong willed women who drink as much or more than Kochi men.  Kochi also has the highest divorce rate in Japan.  I played shakuhachi for the annual Kochi sake breweries' tasting party (and dinner) a few years back; various sakes served both hot and chilled...

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-06-06 02:54:14)

#34 2008-06-06 03:32:24

Seth

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

Kochi also has the highest divorce rate in Japan....

From the context it seems you are reporting this statistic as a point of pride.... unusual...hhmmm...

#35 2008-06-06 10:40:06

Josh
PhD
Website

We definately got a plan Kiku!  We can even start with the Suntory Okazaki Wiskey brewery in Kyoto, work/drink our way down to Kochi to pick up Dan (who may or may not be alone depending on how well he's following local Kochi customs) and then head on down sloshed to see Jeff in Kumamoto, who can initiate us into Kyushu customs. And good stops along the way?
I wonder if the Kumuso had such deep goals for their pilgrimages????? Oh, they should be so lucky

#36 2008-06-07 05:18:06

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Why stop there.  I think we can take the caravan down to san shin country and become accustomed to the local brew, Aomori.  Shima uta festivals are in the summer and I think an odd assortment of well-pickled shakuhachi players might just be welcomed.

Last edited by Jeff Cairns (2008-06-07 05:18:58)

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#37 2008-06-07 09:20:26

Josh
PhD
Website

San Shin Country here we come! From the most southern island in Okinawa I've heard you can see Taiwan on clear days. We'll have to get to Zak somehow wink

#38 2008-06-07 22:19:33

Jeff Cairns
Website

NOW, there's a pilgrimage in the brew! wink

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#39 2008-06-09 13:16:46

Kiku Day
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

I like the sound of this pilgrimage, so I do hope we really will do it.

So, let me get the route right:

1. Josh and I (others can join, of course) begin with Suntory Okazaki Wiskey brewery in Kyoto and blow shakuhachi at the distillery. I don't mind going inside the big fermentation tanks and play for the sake of the acoustics.

2. Then we pass by Kochi to pick up Dan and drink some local sake there (since they can harvest rice twice a year there, they must have plenty of sake, no?). Here we will blow shakuhachi along the traditional pilgrim route and to the Gods of waves around Shikoku.

3. We continue to Kumamoto where we will pick up Jeff. I have promised to bring some single malt cask strength whisky to Kumamoto for him to drink - and us - obviously! So here we will drink Scotch whisky and play shakuhachi at the place where Nishimura Koku's house once stood and blow with our kyotaku friends.

4. We continue to Yakushima where we will visit the Zen monk, who built his own temple on a mountain top. I lived with him for a while helping to build it. He can introduce us to some local shochu brands, I am sure (he has the reputation of being a nama-bozu, so he will happily drink with us). Here we will blow in honour of the great jomon-sugi, a tree more than 7000 years old (if the scientists are right). That's playing for ancestors!

5. We go to Okinawa to taste aomori, and play on the beach. I mean after such a long and exhausting pilgrimage, we can play on the beach, no? smile

Can any of you guys think of more stops to do on the way from Kyoto to Okinawa?

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#40 2008-06-09 22:14:39

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Jeff Cairns wrote:

4. We continue to Yakushima where we will visit the Zen monk, who built his own temple on a mountain top. I lived with him for a while helping to build it. He can introduce us to some local shochu brands, I am sure (he has the reputation of being a nama-bozu, so he will happily drink with us). Here we will blow in honour of the great jomon-sugi, a tree more than 7000 years old (if the scientists are right). That's playing for ancestors!

5. We go to Okinawa to taste aomori, and play on the beach. I mean after such a long and exhausting pilgrimage, we can play on the beach, no? smile

Can any of you guys think of more stops to do on the way from Kyoto to Okinawa?

Now Shochu this is my realm!

I like mostly Soba shochu and also Korean Chamisul and Baeksoju (Shochu with wild herbs and Ginseng) but my all time favorite is Habu-Sake with the viper in it. If anyone could get theior hands on that stuff and bring it to Australia I woul dbe one happy camper wink

Ho by the way looks like you did a type Kiku its Awamori not Aomori I guess all that talk about booz had you tipsy wink

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#41 2008-06-10 03:08:01

Jeff Cairns
Website

No Gishin.  Kiku was just picking up on my typo.  I'm the tipsy one.
Kiku, I'm thinking.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#42 2008-06-19 14:18:27

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Will there be any S.W.A.B.S at The Chikuzen Ro Camp this weekend?

If yes, can you can wear a name tag so that we can...um...discuss membership requirements?

See ya there! Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#43 2008-06-19 21:50:40

Jeff Cairns
Website

Perry, ah-hum, I'll definitely be there in spirit.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer