World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-12 09:22:58

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Teachers in the Mountain States USA

If you are a teacher in the Mountain States USA please post here.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2006-02-12 16:51:35

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Re: Teachers in the Mountain States USA

Chikuzen Studios:
   Michael Chikuzen Gould, studied in Japan for almost 20 years with Yokoyama Katsuya, Taniguchi Yoshinobu and short stints with several other teachers including Matsui Yuzan(a Zen monk in the Rinzai Sect at Mt. Koya and former Ueda Ryu head with Tani Senzan). I live in Ann Arbor, MI and have Dojos there and also in Columbus, OH., Cleveland, OH Toledo, OH. and Boulder, CO. I have a Dai Shihan from Taniguchi Yoshinobu and although I speacilize in teaching the Yokoyama style Dokyoku I also teach select Kinko and MeiAn Honkyoku, select Kinko Gaikyoku (Kokyoku and modern) and Minyo (folk tunes). I teach private lessons and hold weekend retreats 5 times a year (all levels). I have 15 years teaching and performing experience. You may check out my website at chikustudios.com where you'll find info on Chikuzen Studios and my publications or you may direct any questions to me at Chikuzen@earthlink.net or tel. at 313-600-2610.

Last edited by chikuzen (Today 16:47:50)

In Boulder, CO I teach at Hakubai Temple on Cherryvale Lane twice a month. Contact info. is same as above.

Last edited by chikuzen (2006-03-24 11:56:40)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#3 2006-03-20 18:17:40

shakudavid
Kansuke II, Shihan/Kinko Ryu
Website

Re: Teachers in the Mountain States USA

David Wheeler
    I'm a teacher, performer and musicologist, lucky to have lived in Japan for over twenty years studying and performing the shakuhachi (Japan's vertical bamboo flute) with Japan's finest traditional ensembles.
I started the shakuhachi in 1977 with Junsuke Kawase III, head of the Chikuyu-sha school of Kinko Style classical shakuhachi performance.
MA in musicology from Tokyo University of Fine Arts in 1985. He has benefited from studying and playing with the majority of the great shakuhachi masters of the latter half of the 20th century, including late living national treasure Goro Yamaguchi, living national treasure, Reibo Aoki II, Katsuya Yokoyama and Kodo Araki V as well as Kawase. My professional career started in Tokyo, and has since taken him all over Japan and around the world. The focus of my work is the classical shakuhachi genres of both solo and ensemble (with Japanese string instruments), but I also enjoy crossing musical and artistic barriers both within and outside of the Japanese traditional performing arts world.

I currently live and teach in Boulder, Colorado.

3660 Buckeye Ct., Boulder, CO, USA 80304
Tel./Fax 303-449-2935
shakudavid@gmail.com
www.duosokyo.com

Board footer