Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-13 09:30:42

Lorka

Clear Urushi Laquer

I was wondering if coating a new bamboo shakuhachi in clear lacquer helps to preserve the bamboo in any way, or make it less susceptible to cracking? 

If anyone has pics of flutes with clear lacquer on them, could you please post them.  I guess it makes them a little bit shiny looking.  I have a flute with dark urushi (my taimu), and will be getting a bamboo 1.8 jiari soon (to replace my yuu), and was wondering if getting clear urushi on it would be worthwhile.  Thanks

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2008-06-13 09:39:21

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: Clear Urushi Laquer

Dont see other value than esthetics. If the flute is made of well cured and dried madake with bindings that is all that you need. I dont see how Urushi can really help. The only real other enhancment would be if the Bamboo was smoked.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2008-06-13 11:59:31

gmiller

Bamboo is a woody material; it absorbs and desorbs moisture; absorption/desorption = expansion/contraction = eventual checking/cracking. Preventing/limiting the absoption/desorption of moisture can eliminate or greatly reduce the chances of checking/cracking. The best way to deal with abortion/desorption is to seal the wood completely; most especially the end-grain. The old monks and samurai knew this as is evidenced by the frequent practice of sealing the complete flute in Urushi lacquer.

#4 2008-06-13 12:15:32

Lorka

Hmmm, interesting.

Thanks Gishin and Gmiller.  So, urushi does seem to offer a protective aspect of sorts

~ Lao Tzu~

#5 2008-06-13 21:12:10

Lance

People seal their wooden decks, for a good reason.

After purchasing, and making, a few bamboo Shakuhachi, and dealing with cracks in both, I just LOVE my plastic 'Yuu'.

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

#6 2008-06-14 01:14:41

edosan
Edomologist

Lorka wrote:

Hmmm, interesting.

Thanks Gishin and Gmiller.  So, urushi does seem to offer a protective aspect of sorts

...of sorts, but precious little.

Where the flute came from and where it ended up living, the way the culm was cured, the nature of the culm, and the way the flute is cared for are much more important than a coat or two of urushi (or anything else).

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2008-06-14 01:40:49

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Lorka wrote:

I was wondering if coating a new bamboo shakuhachi in clear lacquer helps to preserve the bamboo in any way, or make it less susceptible to cracking?

It sounds like you may be referring to non-Japanese lacquers rather than urushi. The lacquer will help stop cracking if it acts as a water barrier. The less it lets water pass through, the better. Urushi also acts as a water barrier.

However, urushi (and I might guess also other lacquers) is not a 100% barrier. It will only slow down the passing of water. If you take 2 shakuhachi, one coated and one not, into a dry climate, the probability is that the coated one will last longer. For example, in a really dry climate, the non-coated one might crack in 3 days, and the coated one might take 1 month to crack.

So the thing to understand is, even if it is coated, try to keep it in a good environment. Think of violins, which are varnished, but still need to be taken care of. What the coating will do is more protect from sudden variations.

If you have no choice but to keep it in a dry environment for extended periods, it might be advisable to have it professionally bound. Another common precaution is to keep it in a closed plastic bag when not in use.

Take care
Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2008-06-14 01:41:17)

#8 2008-06-14 08:55:53

gmiller

I might add - Shellac is a true 100% vapor barrier; but not waterproof. Sealer coats of Shellac (thinned 1 part shellac to 3 parts denatured alcohol) will provide a proper vapor barrier. Top coat with any good urethane (clear or tinted; gloss, semi-gloss or satin) for an excellent protective finish.

I have been using MinWax Polyshades Bombay Mahogany - gloss. Great color which can be re-coated without sanding (w/in 2 hrs.); the more coats the deeper the color which is translucent through 4 or 5 coats. Use a foam brush. Good adheasion to the bamboo and a good hard finish when cured.

#9 2008-06-14 11:22:08

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Lorka wrote:

Matt,

I don't have any scientific evidence to support it, but when I use urushi on the exterior, I do it under the assumption that it probably helps to some degree. How much is hard to say. I don't think it's the best substitute for poor quality bamboo or neglect, but on well cured bamboo, it probably can't hurt.

Ken

#10 2008-06-14 15:15:09

Lorka

Thx for the all the helpful advice. 

To be more specific, the flute I am getting is a Tai Hei root end, made from the Sichuan mandake, with inlaid bindings.  I'm not too worried about crackingl, as Monty has a fantastic offer in that area. I was just curious about the urushi, that's all.  I am not planning on having it applied, and have not investigated the option.  Just kinda wanted to know what others thought about the matter.  Thanks.

Matt

~ Lao Tzu~

#11 2008-06-14 16:19:51

edosan
Edomologist

[breathes sigh of relief]

Last edited by edosan (2008-06-14 16:20:18)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#12 2008-06-14 17:27:24

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Jogging again Eddy?

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#13 2008-06-15 09:33:40

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Lorka, I've seen cracks on old shakuhachi that have been fully lacquered all over. And, no cracks on very old flutes with no external lacquer. As others have pointed out, the age of the bamboo, the growing conditions, where it cured and if it was moved from it's original place of curing all influence the potential for cracking. I think bindings are the best preventative measure.

Peace, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer