Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-16 18:27:33

axolotl
Website

Carl Abbott has a shakuhachi book; his family has a blog!

I found two kids playing violin and shamisen respectively (and the shamisenist SINGING TUVAN OVERTONE MUSIC) on youtube.  Who could those kids be?  Carl Abbott's kids, natch.  He of the shakuhachi instruction manual that, a few warts aside, is pretty darn good.  Anyhow, the youtube link led me to his family's blog. 

http://www.abbottfamilyblog.com/

Whole lotta music going on in that family.

#2 2008-06-16 20:41:45

Seth

Re: Carl Abbott has a shakuhachi book; his family has a blog!

Make sure to click through to their business at www.playingbyear.com

His approach is simply a pure joy to read about.   I get very inspired and excited by efforts to put music making back into people's daily lives.

Thanks for posting this!!!

Last edited by Seth (2008-06-16 20:42:09)

#3 2008-06-17 15:36:25

ima_hima

Can you post a link to the video?

#4 2008-06-17 15:50:18

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

one of my teacher is Ran Blake. He learns all his music by ear. Also for his classes we learn all the music by ear.
The guy is amazing!
http://www.ranblake.com/

#5 2008-06-24 17:48:34

axolotl
Website

Ima, here ya go:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Y81D3QZVUE

Now those are some diversely talented kids. 

Their blog continues to rule.  I want to move to the Central California coast and play flutes and grow organic veggies now.

#6 2008-07-05 13:17:13

Caligium

I bet those kids have a fun time in school.

#7 2008-07-05 22:48:39

Zakarius

What a coincidence... when I finally got around to checking out this post, I just happened to be listening to Kronos Quartet's _Early Music_, which has some Tuvan throat singing. Are there any other throat singers among us (I can imagine a powerful throat singing duet with shakuhachi).

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#8 2008-07-05 23:09:57

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

i did a song with throat singing & Taimu,,scary-very scary:-)

#9 2008-07-06 03:23:36

dust

imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

#10 2008-07-08 10:20:18

Bruce Hunter

Also interesting are the results one gets when doing the very low note chants (with harmonics) while playing. Finding the best length/bore combination to match your air column is important, so don't get discouraged if your favorite instrument doesn't work well right away.

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#11 2008-07-08 12:00:29

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Zak,

Zakarius wrote:

What a coincidence... when I finally got around to checking out this post, I just happened to be listening to Kronos Quartet's _Early Music_, which has some Tuvan throat singing. Are there any other throat singers among us (I can imagine a powerful throat singing duet with shakuhachi).

I met the musical group URAGSHA from Buryat Mongoliia sometime around in 1997. The two on right and middle are husband and wife, Sayan Zhambalov and Erzhena Zhambalov.  The third musician is Battuvshin. They are traditional Buryat musicians who are open to experimenting with new music.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/buryat3.jpg

They stayed at the La Mama artist residency when they performed a music /dance/theater piece called Virtual Souls directed by Virlana Katz. I was lucky enough to have been an artist in residency at the time. We had a lot of incredible jam sessions flavored with their "imported" Russian Vodka. The shakuhachi and Sayan's throat singing collided many a times. I could only describe it as dark heaven. Sayan's has a huge voice that rattles the room (more than a "honking" shakuhachi). And if you're next to him while he's singing, you may feel to urge to step away as it feels as if his head is about to explode. It's quite intense both aurally and viscerally.

Over the course of their stay, we connected really well over music. There was a language barrier, but every evening they would set down a bottle of vodka after dinner and we'd play into the night. Sayan also gave me throat singing lessons a few times. The timbre structure seems similar to the shakuhachi; there is a fundamental note and then it gets pushed into harmonic overtones. A throat singer produces at least two tones to make a chord and then there are overtones. The mouth cavity shapes the timbre so that the singer can shape the tone for the highs or lows (Nyokai mentioned on another thread, it's like EQing).  Through a translator, Sayan said the action to make the initial sound is similar to what happens when one vomits. The abdomen pushes with intense pressure and the throat directs the sound through the top of the skull. After the technique is learned the singer can back off with the pressure. I found a lot of similarities with shakuhachi playing.

I've met, worked and played with a lot of different kinds of musicians at La Mama. I always wished I could've have recorded the jams with URAGSHA.

Anyone know the Ukrainian saying for "Cheers!"?

Anyhow, cheers! Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2008-07-08 12:02:09)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#12 2008-07-08 12:59:01

Zakarius

Thanks for the insights, Perry -- you've certainly had some unique experiences wink  I honestly think that people with the means should explore this futher. Geni made & emailed me a kick-ass recording of him playing shakuachi digitally merged onto a Tuvan throat singing track. He's posted it online (link in the following post).

Last edited by Zakarius (2008-07-08 23:00:45)

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#13 2008-07-08 16:18:12

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

#14 2008-07-09 03:29:37

Bruce Hunter

Zak - thanks for the posting and Geni - thanks for making the recording. That's the sound to which I was referring. I do believe, however, this is not Tuva throat singing, but something more like the Gyuto/Gyotu(sp?) monks do. It's a really interesting experience for the chanter and player to be simultaneously both.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#15 2008-07-09 16:52:29

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

they are from Tuva. Huun-Huur-Tu (name of the group)

#16 2008-07-10 02:39:57

Bruce Hunter

Way cool! Thanks for the clarification!

#17 2008-07-10 12:29:19

axolotl
Website

Geni, that recording is AWESOME.  Huh, the Tuvans do sound more like the Gyuto monks than I thought they would.   I am more familiar with other Tuvan sounds. 

I recommend anyone who is anyone to go rent Genghis Blues, which is a sweet documentary about San Francisco musician Paul Pena going to Tuva and collaborating with Tuvan throat singers.

And if anyone likes their throat singing with a little rock and roll, check out Yat-Kha.  Ridiculous and sublime.  Albert Kuzevin uses khoomei technique to sing originals and covers about 3 octaves lower than you would expect, backed by a rockin' band. 

http://www.yat-kha.com/index.php

#18 2008-07-11 00:37:44

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

thanks man.
I have the Genghis blues soundtrack. I love it!!!
They are different styles of Tuvan singing. Don't remember them now:-) I was in workshop by this guys www.alashensemble.com. They were AWESOME!!

#19 2008-07-11 21:42:53

Moran from Planet X
Website

geni wrote:

i did a song with throat singing & Taimu,,scary-very scary:-)

You'll like this.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7GKKscGSRhk

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#20 2008-07-11 23:00:27

edosan
Edomologist

Absolutely brilliant, and a respiratory tour de force!!

Thanks, Chris.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#21 2008-07-12 19:15:00

axolotl
Website

o.0

That guy is just amazing.

Board footer