Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-06-23 21:47:58

Kerry

Radio Free Nashville Shakuhachi Program

Hey guys,

I submitted a program proposal to www.radiofreenashville.org for a shakuhachi/honkyoku show and they've accepted it. I get studio training this week and I have to take a FCC course. The program is tentatively scheduled for Sunday mornings 10 to 11am. I'll post again when everything is good to go.
Radio Free Nashville is a licensed Low Power FM station fighting the good fight against the corporate media. My first objective is to play traditional music for an unexposed audience from my modest collection and just see where it goes from there. Hopefully, get into some contemporary works too, down the road. The station has three different links for listening online, national and international. I think there's interactive possibilities.
I welcome any advice and ideas.
I'm very grateful for shakuhachi and the people who have helped and encouraged me. Maybe someone new will be touched....-kerry

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#2 2008-06-24 02:36:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Radio Free Nashville Shakuhachi Program

That's great Kerry! Rock on!

My two cents-----play the gamut of shakuhachi music from the start. Shakuhachi is vast.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-06-24 09:15:01

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

My two cents-----play the gamut of shakuhachi music from the start. Shakuhachi is vast.

And use Honkyoku for the occasional spice....at first, at least. For most people, it is an acquired taste, especially as
regular fare.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-06-24 17:24:29

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

And use Honkyoku for the occasional spice....at first, at least. For most people, it is an acquired taste, especially as
regular fare.

A lot of people like honkyoku but it all sounds the same to them at first. Other contexts let them know at least when one song ends and the other begins.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2008-06-24 23:30:05

Kerry

Tairaku wrote:

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

regular fare.

A lot of people like honkyoku but it all sounds the same to them at first. Other contexts let them know at least when one song ends and the other begins.

I hear yas!
I've got some koto, a little chant and I plan to introduce some history and contextual things, all in a general, not overly technical manner. I want this to be all about the sounds. If this works out, I can see where a half traditional, half new music presentation would be really cool! I'm thinking about naming the show 'Samurai Songs', to make it more recognizable to generate some initial interest. It's one hour on Sunday mornings. Non-profit, no advertising to sell, just radio!The program manager is excited about it. It'll be interesting to see how it goes over:)

#6 2008-06-27 12:06:25

Kerry

Thanks for all the responses everyone!
'Samurai Songs' will air 9 to 10am CST on www.radiofreenashville.org  98.9FM locally. This Sunday 6/29/08 is the first broadcast! There are three links to catch the stream and listen online. Just coordinate your timezone with the Central Standard Time zone etc....The people at Radio Free Nashville are so cool and supportive. One programmer wants to get a shakuhachi already wink -kerry

#7 2008-06-29 07:44:02

dust

bump..

smile

imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

#8 2008-06-29 11:16:57

dust

Thanks Kerry.

A really great show ...  smile

#9 2008-06-29 11:22:42

kmag

Hey there Kerry,
I just got done listening to your show and I loved it. Is it going to be a regular show? I looked at the program and noticed it hadn't been added permanently yet and am hoping it soon will be.
Great job,
Kurt

#10 2008-06-29 22:03:59

Kerry

Thanks so much guys!
I was a little nervous and hit a few bumps, but the show is going forward. It should be listed soon in the program schedule. 9 to 10am CST Sundays.  The station director and program manager really dug it. They said, "this is what Pasquo, Tennessee needs"wink  I'm so glad you can listen online. It's all about the music and sounds man! And turning people on to shakuhachi who've never heard it before.... We are so fortunate to have such a wealth music and people playing and creating it. Peace, -kerry

Last edited by Kerry (2008-06-29 22:54:45)

#11 2008-06-29 22:35:08

Yooper

I had to be on the road at that time.  Is there a podcast?

"Simple and artless."

#12 2008-06-29 22:57:29

Kerry

Yooper wrote:

I had to be on the road at that time.  Is there a podcast?

I don't know. I will talk to the program manager about that. Thanks

#13 2008-07-06 14:51:15

dust

Another great show...

Thanks Kerry.. smile

#14 2008-07-07 21:52:52

Kerry

Thank you Dust!
It was a little wierd announcing the Hot Rod and Rock n' Roll fundraiser, but that's radio! It's all good and a good cause.
I'll be spinnin those 'Zen diddies' again, stay tuned!
Also, I set up a blog www.samuraisongs.blogspot.com ....I'll be adding more to it as it goes along. I forgot to mention it on the show yesterday, oh well, next time. Please, Feel free to post a thought or two.... -kerry

Last edited by Kerry (2008-07-07 22:02:28)

#15 2008-07-07 22:23:37

Moran from Planet X
Website

Hi Kerry, is there any chance that the radio station will offer podcasts (or embedded MP3's) of your show?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#16 2008-07-08 11:30:17

Kerry

Chris Moran wrote:

Hi Kerry, is there any chance that the radio station will offer podcasts (or embedded MP3's) of your show?

Hey guys,
I've got an email into the station manager about the podcast inquiries. I'll post it when I get the scoop:) -kerry

#17 2008-07-08 12:19:17

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Kerry, That's awesome!

I've done a lot of lec/dems with shakuhachi and even a radio show once. I found that audiences appreciate a demonstration on the flute along with hearing the music. Perhaps you can fit in a little live playing so that the listeners can appreciate how much goes into the playing the music. You can talk a little about meri and Kari and demonstrate how to bend the pitches. I bet your phones lines will light up!

My two centz wink

Good luck with it! Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#18 2008-07-08 22:29:52

Kerry

Yungflutes wrote:

My two centz wink

Good luck with it! Perry

Thanks Perry! Eventually, I'll get there with demonstration things. I was thinking during the first show with monitors sounding great, how cool it would sound to get 4 or 5 people in the studio blowin' some heavy RO to broadcast. Please feel free to throw 'two centz' in anytime! -kerry

I found out today that Radio Free Nashville doesn't have enough bandwidth for podcasting all their programs. I'm learning things very quickly and I would like to make this program as accessible as possible. Through the station all annual fees are paid to BMI and SESAC, etc, etc... I've found out that podcasting creates a new set of copyright issues. I'm looking in to it. My first concern of course is to do the broadcast and get some shakuhachi out there and create a little archive for future play. The RFN folks are diggin' it! I welcome your feedback and we'll see what happens.....
To all, peaceful revelations -kerry

#19 2008-07-09 00:22:09

edosan
Edomologist

Kerry wrote:

I found out today that Radio Free Nashville doesn't have enough bandwidth for podcasting all their programs.

Hi Kerry,

Something you might consider, perhaps down the road a piece, is to put your own podcasts up on a host--there are plenty free ones on the intertubes. You can compress your recorded shows down to pretty small files that will still sound decent, and supply links only to the Forum. If you require any assistance on any of this, please do contact me off the Forum.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#20 2008-07-13 09:01:27

dust

Bump..

smile

#21 2008-07-13 13:26:10

kmag

Thanks again Kerry for a great show. I there a listing of your set list? I am a beginning student and would love to get the names of some of the artists you have been featuring.
Thank you for everything,
Kurt

#22 2008-09-20 21:15:59

Kerry

Hey Gang,
Just an update for the show, I'll be playing Osamu Kitajma's 'The Source' cd tomorrow, Sunday 9/21/2008 9 - 10am CST. A blast back to the New Age Eighties. Personally, I think Kitajima here, takes it a little beyond the genre. Many instruments and percussion, Masakazu Yoshizawa on shakuhachi, a good 'east meets west' feel about it. And for you fine folks in England, some cool teatime sounds! Quite! wink
Listen online http://www.radiofreenashville.org or http://www.samuraisongs.blogspot.com  smile

Board footer