Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-12 16:27:22

Karmajampa
Website

Kia Ora from Aotearoa New Zealand

My name is Kelvin Falconer, I live in New Zealand where the Shakuhachi is relatively unknown. I picked up my first flute in Nov '2004 and have been teaching myself with any aids I can find. I have no teacher. I have also been making my own flutes from 'Black bamboo' and any other likely looking culms I come across including Madake, which I have planted.

If any player or teacher visits New Zealand I would be interested in meeting with you, please contact me.

Metta,
Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#2 2006-03-13 19:30:01

bluespiderweb

Re: Kia Ora from Aotearoa New Zealand

Karmajampa wrote:

My name is Kelvin Falconer, I live in New Zealand where the Shakuhachi is relatively unknown. I picked up my first flute in Nov '2004 and have been teaching myself with any aids I can find. I have no teacher. I have also been making my own flutes from 'Black bamboo' and any other likely looking culms I come across including Madake, which I have planted.

If any player or teacher visits New Zealand I would be interested in meeting with you, please contact me.
Metta,
Kel.

Hello Kel, and Welcome!

It always good to see people joining in, and great to have such a world wide membership to draw upon!

I've only been playing a short while, and learn on my own at my chosen pace-mostly just enjoy playing for the great feeling it gives me.

Hey, it's great you are making them also-I would love to try that myself!  Black bamboo has an awesome beauty to it, I think, but I even like the plain colored bamboo if it's made into a flute!  Do you find it growing wild in New Zealand?  And you're lucky to have somewhere you can plant some for harvesting-smart move.

Anyway, good to have you here too!  Great place, this forum!

Be well,  Barry

#3 2006-03-13 20:01:02

Karmajampa
Website

Hi Barry,
Thanks for your post. Hey I rode a Schwinn 10-speed from Toledo Ohio across Pa. to Westchester near the Brandywine river in 1974, great countryside, rode through all the Amish country.

Black bamboo is an invasive problem in many backyards. It is really green, sometimes very dark, but was originally named 'nigra' and apparently once named, cannot be un-named. It is an easy wood to work with, has a different tone to the harder thicker bamboo of the likes of madake. In a grove there seem to be a lot more culms that are within the parameters of a potential flute. It can be a bit controversial to plant bamboo but in my case it is surrounded by indigenous blackberry, gorse, kykuyu, willow, wandering dew, pampas, in fact the only native plants in the vicinity are ones I have planted myself !
I feel the horse has bolted..........

Excellent adventure to go make your own flutes, I am now making them for many others and the demand is increasing.

Kel    §

Kia Kaha !

#4 2006-03-15 10:07:52

bluespiderweb

Karmajampa wrote:

Hi Barry,
Thanks for your post. Hey I rode a Schwinn 10-speed from Toledo Ohio across Pa. to Westchester near the Brandywine river in 1974, great countryside, rode through all the Amish country.

Black bamboo is an invasive problem in many backyards. It is really green, sometimes very dark, but was originally named 'nigra' and apparently once named, cannot be un-named. It is an easy wood to work with, has a different tone to the harder thicker bamboo of the likes of madake. In a grove there seem to be a lot more culms that are within the parameters of a potential flute. It can be a bit controversial to plant bamboo but in my case it is surrounded by indigenous blackberry, gorse, kykuyu, willow, wandering dew, pampas, in fact the only native plants in the vicinity are ones I have planted myself !
I feel the horse has bolted..........

Excellent adventure to go make your own flutes, I am now making them for many others and the demand is increasing.

Kel    §

Hi Kel,

You were not far from me in 1974!  But the area has become a lot busier since, like most places.  That was a long ride you took on your Schwinn 10 speed!  Ah, memories!

That's great that you can harvest your own bamboo, and grow some too.  I understand about the native plants-years ago that was true all over the world, now many foreign varieties are widespread in other countries, kind of like the internet!

Yes, I will make some flutes-when I find a source of the bamboo here that is reasonable, especially for the first attempts!

Good luck with your flute making-it sounds like you have some customers lining up!

Barry

Be well,  Barry

#5 2006-05-13 15:57:09

Karmajampa
Website

Putting up an image of three of my flutes made from 'black bamboo' the runt of the bamboo family 'phylostichys nigra', at least not regarded as a superior bamboo, nevertheless it grows on my two acre property, is within the size range and I have found it to be very useful to learn the craft. I have also planted Madake and hopefully by the time they develop I will have a pretty good idea of how to use it to best advantage. Being that only one in one hundred culms is going to make a flute and perhaps one in one thousand is going to make a superior flute, I now look at bamboo groves with a different eye.

Interestingly I am still playing the very second flute I made, initially thinking it would not last, I now appreciate that the bamboo is only perhaps one third of the instrument, the rest being the body, from head to toe. Some of the flutes I am making are root end, some not, it just depends on the culm, the node layout, and particularly the aspect ratio. I make a one piece Jinashi with no insert. I like the 1.8 to 2.1 sizes, but have made them in many lengths.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7062/tuscia202124lbl2re.jpg

With special thanks to Ed Beaty for editing my photos and providing much assistance and encouragement.

Kel.    §

Last edited by Karmajampa (2006-05-13 16:08:58)

Kia Kaha !

#6 2006-05-13 18:14:33

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

hi Kel,
this flutes look great.
good job.

Geni
p,,s do you offer discounts for forum members;-)

#7 2006-06-11 13:14:59

Toffe

Your flutes looks amazing!
Very nice photograph as well...

Board footer