World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-05 17:44:50

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

WSF '08 Festival Reviews

With the festival underway most participants including me don't have time to post a bunch of stuff. But as it trickles in here's the topic to post it in.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2008-07-07 09:40:15

Seth

Re: WSF '08 Festival Reviews

I am sure I speak for everyone on this forum who is not in Australia at this moment that the total lack of posts with news and reviews about the festival is quite dissapointing.

No photos?

No gossip?

No breathless first-hand accounts of shakuhachi celebrity sightings?

Anything?!?

#3 2008-07-07 09:59:31

Thomas

yeah, really.

#4 2008-07-07 10:33:07

Jim Thompson

Quite an amazing reverb in these empty halls.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#5 2008-07-07 11:14:49

indigo

found this link this morning about Taikoz and Riley Lee and friends

seems like it was a great show  with standing O and all

http://www.australianstage.com.au/revie … -1634.html

hopefully the festival was as fantastic as this show was and we will hear about it by and by

Last edited by indigo (2008-07-07 18:46:51)

#6 2008-07-07 12:49:47

edosan
Edomologist

It's not a sure thing yet, but it's possible that there will be production of a video DVD of WSF '08.

Fingers crossed...

Last edited by edosan (2008-07-07 12:50:11)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2008-07-08 04:19:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I am off to the farewell banquet. Maybe we'll have some reviews tomorrow.

#8 2008-07-09 02:00:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Brief Overview of the Festival.

Well, nobody has written any reviews yet. I'll give a brief overview of WSF '08 and leave comments about specific performances to the rank and file when they get back to their computers. This is not intended to be a formal review, just something to get the ball rolling.

Venues

Couldn't have been better! Sydney is one of the world's great cities. Weather was great most of the time. Sydney Conservatorium of Music and City Recital Hall are fantastic concert venues. A number of acoustically delightful venues were used at the Conservatorium ranging from intimate recital halls to a mid-sized venue complete with pipe organ. Workshops and lectures were held in classrooms and rehearsal rooms. The fact that everything was located in the same building made it (sometimes painfully) easy to flit between events. Large concerts were held at City Recital Hall, a short walk from the Conservatorium. Conservatorium is located in the Botanical Garden facilitating natural outings for the festival goers. We were about a 5 minute walk from the famous Sydney Opera House.

The Performers

Astounding. Everyone from Living National Treasures to enthusiasts from far flung corners of the globe were given the opportunity to demonstrate their music. I don't want to name names in this mini-review we'll leave that for follow up posts.

The Music

A vast selection ranging from very simple and ancient zen pieces to almost absurdly modern new compositions. I'll break my comments down into categories.

Honkyoku

The cornerstone of shakuhachi. Most but not all styles of honkyoku were represented. Most prominently the Yokoyama players were featured. Jin Nyodo style was amply represented. There were a number of exquisite Kinko performers. Tozan (actually the largest group of players in the world) had a number of great players, including the 17 year old girl who won the S-1 Grand Prix young performers contest. Chikuho was represented by both Japanese and Australian players. In a perfect world I would have liked to see more Myoan performers. Myoan music was mainly represented by people of other lineages which incorporate some Myoan pieces into their repertoires. Dearth of Myoan players was probably due to the fact that they are not commercial and do not like performing in public. However this issue will probably be dealt with at the next festival, you'll see why later in the post.

Sankyoku

Once again, amazing. Everything from the die hard jiuta and danmono pieces to early modern Japanese to ultra modern contemporary compositions by living composers (in some cases performing their own work) were represented. There was enough of this music at the festival to satisfy anybody even if it was their only interest. Much of it performed at the highest level.

Classical

By classical I mean 20th and 21st Century modern pieces coming out of the Western art tradition. Nobody wants to hear Beethoven or Strauss on the shakuhachi. Sometimes by Japanese composers with a Japanese bent, but still written in Western notation. The most aggressive curatorial stance of the festival was in the cultivation of new compositions. Frequently it was mentioned that their were 10 world premieres, but actually it was more than that when you counted the things happening in the smaller recital halls. Riley and co. seem to be dedicated to creating a new repertoire for the instrument which places it in the mainstream of the contemporary music scene. Some of these compositions were brilliant and challenging. Others were easy on the ears. Some were boring. But overall no complaints here because if they hadn't done this people would say they were playing it safe. This area was very thoughtfully curated and brought a lot of wonderful textures and (non-Japanese) instrumentation into the soundscape of the festival.

Jazz, Rock, Blues, Improv, World, Other

In contrast to the modern classical stuff, these genres were represented by a few individuals but not emphasized and not cohesively presented. It only happened if a performer decided to do something along these lines at one of the smaller anthology concerts. A wasted opportunity because there were enough top flight professionals in this area (here to do other things) to have presented a stellar concert. If anybody is likely to popularize shakuhachi in the future amongst the general public it will probably come from this direction. Hopefully future festivals will make a stronger effort in this area. Caveat, this is my field of interest, so I am biased, but I speak the truth. wink

Audiences 

Very attentive and appreciative. The smaller concerts were mainly attended by WSF participants, while the big concerts also had a decent amount of the general public. Still, we have yet to find a voice on our instrument (such as Ravi Shankar in Indian music) who can bring it to the attention of the masses.

Organizers, Staff and Volunteers 

Exhausted!

The Executive Committee (Artistic Director Riley Lee, plus Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, James Franklin, Teruo Furuya, Kaoru Kakizakai, Yoshio Kurahashi, Kazushi Matama, and David Kansuke Wheeler, ran the show with dignity and humor and (at least in open view) did not crack under the immense pressure. Australian Shakuhachi Society staff, volunteers and Conservatorium staff were very generous, kind and helpful throughout and deserve our debt of gratitude for making it such a pleasant experience.

Attendees 

Of course this was the group who made the whole thing worthwhile and were the raison d'etre for WSF '08. Everybody was great and friendly very few bummer scenes. It was particularly gratifying for me as Administrator of this forum to meet so many of the people who post here but previously were just names. Thanks to everyone who took the time to say hi to me, I appreciated it very much.

The Future 

Kurahashi Yoshio Sensei announced at the farewell dinner that he'll be throwing the next WSF in Kyoto in 2012. This is great news! And with Kyoto being the home of Myoanji and so much of shakuhachi history there it should be a fantastic festival. Even more great players will be there, because they can just get there on the train. Stay tuned.

#9 2008-07-09 02:46:33

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Thanks Brian,
Looking forward to more reviews/blogs/videos

#10 2008-07-09 05:34:36

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Brian.

Thanks for the update! I am sure it was fantastic! These things always are.
I was mighty jealous while it was going on... but I did get to write quite a few pages about shakuhachi, so I was doing my part far away! smile
Was min'yo shakuhachi present at all?
I am so pleased to hear that Kurahashi has taken on the task of organising the 2012 event in Kyoto. That's where we need the next to be!
Perhaps we can have the 2016 in Europe. An idea we can play with for some years in the European Shakuhachi Society and beyond!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#11 2008-07-09 06:45:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Was min'yo shakuhachi present at all?
I

Very little.

Of course the festival can't present anybody who is not there. Apparently minyo and Myoan players did not choose to attend the festival. Hopefully Kurahashi will get these streams on board for the Kyoto one.

#12 2008-07-09 09:51:57

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Brian, that's an interesting point and I wonder if it's that way because shakuhachi in Japan isn't viewed as a common thread that binds all manner of players together in one tapestry.  It's not uncommon to get two different styles of players together in one concert:  generally  kinko and tozan,  but to get minyo or myoan as well would be a rarity.  In fact, in 22 years in my local setting, I've never seen it.  A minyo concert is a minyo concert and a kinko concert is a kinko concert. To the general ear and player, the two don't belong together.  The point I'm trying to get at is that without some unusual circumstance forcing such a joint situation, the more non-conventional players (minyo and myoan) might not consider themselves as being a part of the proceedings and wouldn't even think of attending.  That's what makes these festival situations potentially unique and let's hope that other streams are encouraged to attend and present.  I'm planning a small scale shakuhachi festival here in Kumamoto for next year in November and I fully intend to invite and have all manner of players represented.  I'll post more about this as things evolve.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#13 2008-07-10 09:53:40

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

I'm planning a small scale shakuhachi festival here in Kumamoto for next year in November and I fully intend to invite and have all manner of players represented.  I'll post more about this as things evolve.

That sounds great, Jeff. Yes, please, keep us posted.
If I am to organise something larger in Europe again, I would really like to make a focus on min'yo.
I have had several brilliant Japanese players telling me that they are not invited anyway to events like the World Shakuhachi Festival because their style did not interest the mainstream.
However, it is an event where more and more fractions of shakuhachi are invited. Let's try to continue in that direction and hope it will have a positive affect on the exchange of shakuhachi music.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#14 2008-07-12 21:15:30

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

OK Knuckleheads! I know a lot of you were at the festival because I read your name tags! Let's see some reviews! wink

#15 2008-07-12 21:23:12

rpowers

Tairaku wrote:

OK Knuckleheads! I know a lot of you were at the festival because I read your name tags! Let's see some reviews! wink

Many of us had to take longer flights across more time zones than you did, Your Holiness (Any chance of you jamming with Ben this week?).

I still can't see clearly enough to edit my photos.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#16 2008-07-12 21:47:47

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

rpowers wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Many of us had to take longer flights across more time zones than you did, Your Holiness (Any chance of you jamming with Ben this week?).

I still can't see clearly enough to edit my photos.

Pope only jams with Horst because they were both in the Hitler Youth together. wink OUCH!

#17 2008-07-12 22:54:21

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

was Horst there?

#18 2008-07-13 10:20:48

Josh
PhD
Website

Hello there, sorry for the delay with writing about the festival.  It was pretty great! I was interviewing some players and the Living National Treasures etc., we're editing the videos and it should be in the DVD series they are producing about the festival. They have hours and gours of different concerts and workshops to edit, so everybody will have to relax for awhile and maybe hope to see it all by the end of the year.  But it will definately be worth seeing, there were some great performances...There were also some not so great ones, but I won't go there.
I was in the Young Players Competition and came in 2nd place wiht Yamagoe. I gave it all I had, but in the end the judges decided that Imoto Chouzan, a 17 year old female Tozan player and student of Yamamoto Hozan, was to be the winner. She performed a Hozan piece called Aki and had superb technique. Justin Senryu Williams came in 3rd place with a great performance of Tsuru no Sugomori on one of his handmade 1.6 flutes. Great neiro and tamane! He is making some great shakuhachi guys.  Bronwyn Kirkpatric also did great I thought with Asuka Reibo. We had a little run through the previous day so I heard some of the other performances, which were all really high level. Unforunately I cannot comment on any other performances because I was off in the private rooms practicing my Yamagoe up until I went on, which was one of the last pieces. Let me tell you, playing at a grand theater like Verrbrugen Hall is a very different experience than playing at home or even for small groups. I really think everyone should have this kind of experience/pressure, it really shows you what you actually know as opposed to what you think you know about your playing. Overall, I was satisfied with my performance, but it is definately not as good as when I'm at home practicing alone. It's a great wakeup call and motivator to study harder.
The people wanted to hear the top 3 finalists again so 2 days later we had to perform again in front of everyone. I felt I did  a little better and was more relaxed than the actual competition day. But I guess that's the nature of the game. Overall it was fun.  I think that this was probably the friendliest 'competition' in the world. Of course everyone wants to win, but I doubt competing and trying to be the 'best' was ever anyone's reason for getting involved this instrument.  It must have been difficult to judge all of these different genres of shakuhachi music and compare them to each other. But in the end it was all in good fun. Everyone on stage gave it there all and gave a great performance.

#19 2008-07-13 14:18:30

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Josh wrote:

I was in the Young Players Competition and came in 2nd place wiht Yamagoe. I gave it all I had, but in the end the judges decided that Imoto Chouzan, a 17 year old female Tozan player and student of Yamamoto Hozan, was to be the winner. She performed a Hozan piece called Aki and had superb technique. Justin Senryu Williams came in 3rd place with a great performance of Tsuru no Sugomori on one of his handmade 1.6 flutes. Great neiro and tamane! .

Make no mistake here people Josh kicked ass on Yamagoe. Imoto was also wonderful. The styles were so different. Justin's Tsuru no Sugomori was also excellent. The audience were the winners of this concert! It was inspiring to hear the youth playing with such skill.

#20 2008-07-13 20:07:41

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

I would like to add my 2 cents as well.
Actually ,no disagreements with anything that has been said !
But in many ways the competition was a top highlight of the Festival for me!
When I was one of the preliminary judges  this past April, we listened to over 30 entries "Blind".But it doesn't compare with watching these young folks perform live and knock the ball out of the park. And the winner just turned 17 . She is a 2nd year high school student!
Amazing!

There were not that many "surprises" in the Festival, except perhaps Kurahashi Sensei's awesome rendition of "Shakedown" (Who 'da thunk it !)
And on a personal note for me it was great to be able to perform 4 times (Yaegoromo, Jinbo Sanya, Mujushin Kyoku, and Tamuke), as well as give one workshop (Echigo Sanya). And so many people I didn't know came up to to say kind things to me (I guess if anyone had anything nasty to say, they just kept it to themselves!)

There are kinks to be overcome and worked out, but if it is possible , it looks like Kyoto in 2012.
My home away from home.
I'll be changing my annual Japan Tour to coincide with the Festival Dates.
Wanna sign up?
Still a few spots open!

Ronnie

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#21 2008-07-13 20:22:59

Elliot K
Website

Josh is definitely being 'way too modest - he rocked! Yeah Josh, I know, you weren't happy with the last note, but it was amazing that you played at that level and kept your composure in front of the world's best players. Great job! Especially since Kakizakai gave an amazing performance of the same piece just the night before at the Festival's opening concert. Actually, my hat's off to all the competitors for not allowing themselves to become quivering blobs of jelly under the pressure. Having said that, it was somewhat mind-blowing to watch Chouzan-san walk on stage looking like a typical Japanese schoolgirl and, from the FIRST NOTE, establish a full, mature tone and presence. I asked Kakizakai about her and he said she's been playing since she was six. It's just not fair... (I say that as a 57 year-old who started playing 6 years ago.)
Speaking of the opening show, here's a review from the Sydney Morning Herald (hope it's OK I'm sharing this!):

A power paly between grace and brutality - Breath to Breath
by Graeme Skinner
It will cause no road closures nor is it offering any miracle-working human remains. Yet the start of Sydney's spiritual and musical special event - WSF08 - was anything but unobtrusive. But then the headliner for the opening concert of the World Shakuhachi Festival Sydney 2008 was Sydney's TaikOz. For anyone unfamiliar with its work, this drumming ensemble might best be described as Tap Dogs meets the Japanese martial arts.
TaikOz's artistic director, Ian Cleworth, and the festival director, Riley Lee, devised a program called Breat to Breath, contrasting the meditational interiority of traditional Japanese bamboo flute playing with the breathless exteriority of taiko drumming. On the shakuhachi side, the most arresting demonstrations were the complex duo heterophony  of Junsuke Kawase III and David Wheeler in Koku Reibo (Bell Ringing in Empty Sky), and the sinuous solo polyphony generated by Kaoru Kakizakai in Yamagoe. Its title, which means mountain-crossing, is supposed to suggest "overcoming a difficult task in a less than perfect way", but this was surely a masterly Japanese understatement. At the risk of offending, I wonder how we Westerners got stuck with that dodo, the metal concert flute, when the Japanese have this bamboo miracle to hand.
TaikOz not only drummed way beyond polite audibility, but chanted vociferously, danced on the boundary between gracefulness and brutality, and even shrilled on shakuhachi piccolos [the writer, of course, meant shinobue here], as in one of the original compositions on the program, Graham Hilgendorf's Circle Dance. His recollection of a Japanese rice-pounding ritual witnessed in an urban car park was like a medieval European estampie violently reinvigorated. If only Carl Orff had visited Japan we might have been saved from Carmina Burana.

What the writer doesn't mention is the pleasure of seeing Riley actually drum with the group (it's apparently a very rare thing). He looked like he was having a blast, and after all the work that he, David Wheeler, and Chris Blasdel did to make the Festival happen, it was well-deserved.

I'd say more, but I'm still editing photos. I'll put up a link when they're ready.

#22 2008-07-13 21:48:11

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

hi Josh,
Congrats man!!!
is there a CD on the way?

Last edited by geni (2008-07-13 23:31:57)

#23 2008-07-13 23:21:33

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Thanks for the reviews; sounds like it was a great time.  Congratulations, Josh, on your performance in the Young Players' Competition; just being in the competition is impressive; coming in 2nd, wow!  Looking forward to hearing to some recordings from the event...

#24 2008-07-14 01:39:00

jdanza
Website

I'm always raving against the concept of Shakuhachi competitions but you guys are making it sound like an exciting and fun time. I stand corrected (happily). Wish I had been there.
Josh, I'm proud of you... and lovely stuff on your Myspace page too!.

#25 2008-07-14 03:05:55

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

jdanza wrote:

I'm always raving against the concept of Shakuhachi competitions

Yeah, any kind of competition in music is dumb, this is not a sport. In sports at least you can say "fastest man wins" or "this team beat the other" whereas there's no objective way to measure music. However this was a fun opportunity to hear a bunch of "young" (under 40) players. And if it got them woodshedding it was good for them too.

Board footer