#26 2008-07-14 11:33:23

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: WSF '08 Festival Reviews

Tairaku wrote:

jdanza wrote:

I'm always raving against the concept of Shakuhachi competitions

Yeah, any kind of competition in music is dumb, this is not a sport. In sports at least you can say "fastest man wins" or "this team beat the other" whereas there's no objective way to measure music. However this was a fun opportunity to hear a bunch of "young" (under 40) players. And if it got them woodshedding it was good for them too.

Having been on both sides of the fence, I feel these events are great for both judges and participants.

The experience of having competed trained me to me focus intensely on an ultimate goal. That experience affects  other parts of my life.  Having served as a judge for various art related activities, I've felt that many things are out of the hands of the performer. They can do their best or even be "the Best" but may not win due to unfortunate situations. Both experiences can help an artist continually challenge themselves...and society.

Josh, Omedeto Gozaimasu!

Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#27 2008-07-15 02:32:22

Karmajampa
Website

Everyone has their own reasons to attend one of these Festivals. Being my first exposure in four years of self-tuition in blowing and making, all I could presume was that I would learn aspects regarding the Shakuhachi that I had not previously gleaned from internet perusals. That became an understatement !

For me it began with the "Rockies Down Under" Camp. Arriving at 7.30 am for an hour or so of Ro Buki, then into a wonderful series of workshops on 'meri', 'strong blowing', 'Tenmoku', 'voicing notes', 'abdominal breathing', the day was filled with more than the brain could absorb.
What an excellent introduction to a brilliant Festival.
I don't have a memory for the names of the tutors and performers, but I do have praise for the high quality of their contributions. There was a dedication to Shakuhachi that infested the halls and corridors of the Conservatorium. I didn't want to be anywhere else !

The Young Performers Competition was an example of this dedication. As each of the eleven contestants came out and performed it became evident that the primary question on everyone's mind was "what criteria am I using to make my decision ?'It seemed to me that it was a difficult choice as the pieces were all different. Perhaps it was the 'delivery' that took precedence. I know Joel and Justin were on my short list, they were on the short list for many, but the winner was also on my list though seemed to be quietly over-looked by many other debaters. I wonder just how the judges made their decisions. A very tough call.

'TaikOz', performed an array of audio textures in "Breath To Breath" in the sold-out Saturday Concert. Scintillating cymbals moved into Marimba, Tibetan bowls, Taiko drums and a bamboo fan whose insect like crackle bounced off the theatre walls. And there in the finale, Riley Lee was letting loose in a sweating pulse of heart thumping rhythms. He is a wonderful example of calm, clear energy.

The Japanese Living Treasures were simply precious. displaying humour and mastery. Their delicate control of sound admirable and inspiring. Their were so many moments of sheer delight. In particular was an old Sensei, Tadasha, I think that was his name, he played an exquisite version of Tenmuke that lifted me right up into his soul. His humility in performance drew joyful tears.

The 'Master Classes' which happened each morning from 10 till 12, were fascinating and varied. One on the seven hole Shakuhachi, 'Chi-Gong' and Shakuhachi, each detailing a wide range of subjects that displayed how the organizers had brought together so many facets of the Shakuhachi phenomena.

Every day presented both workshops and concerts and I would alternate between them, but there was way more happening than anyone could take in. Fortunately some of them were repeated so if you missed a particular class, you could catch up later. I was so engrossed in what was available each day it was not until my evening walk home that I would make time to eat my lunch. Sydney never went to bed, and I found myself streaming in this twighlight zone. I didn't care, I would sleep some time, later, when I return home,.... maybe.

I took three of my own flutes with me to get some feedback. Amidst the raucus central multi-level foyer I was found by a young Chinese player, Ting, who was also one of the Young Competitors. He saw my flutes and asked if they were for sale, I had not considered that but as he played them I was blown away that my flutes could get that sound. We fumbled around for a price then eventually traded my 'black' 1.8 for his 'purple' Xiao, a hansomly crafted and etched three piece suit. I was well pleased with this trade but even more so that my self-taught flute making was on the right track.

I met many wonderful people who were willing to share their experiences and advice. As the days clicked over, seven in all, there developed an air that was more than 'A day at the office'. Japanese and English over-lapped in reams of tsu-re-chi swimming in green tea. Occasionally I thought of my friends back home who did not get here and thought of what an opportunity they had missed.

I applaud the Festival totally, I can't remember all the moments of wonder, I can remember coming to the edge of exhaustion as once again I made my mid-night meander back through Hyde Park to my hotel room and a hot bath. Silent in my joy at having spent eight months putting together my savings, organizing my passport, my air tickets, my suitcase. I am so happy that all this effort was so richly rewarded. This was a feast that will be nourished for the rest of my life.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#28 2008-07-15 02:43:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hey Kel,

It was nice meeting you at the festival. Glad you got so much out of it.

Regards,

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#29 2008-07-15 03:15:08

Karmajampa
Website

Hey BR, we'll keep that Martini for another festival. Hard to see the straw in the dark.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#30 2008-07-15 09:57:56

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

jdanza wrote:

I'm always raving against the concept of Shakuhachi competitions

Yeah, any kind of competition in music is dumb, this is not a sport. In sports at least you can say "fastest man wins" or "this team beat the other" whereas there's no objective way to measure music. However this was a fun opportunity to hear a bunch of "young" (under 40) players. And if it got them woodshedding it was good for them too.

Hi everyone
Finally back at home and relaxing! The festival was great fun, and so busy!
I am really not into competitions either. The whole idea of a competition really put me off, but I entered it as I thought if I qualified, it could help pay my way to Australia for such a great shakuhachi meeting, and to exhibit my instruments.

The first round of mp3s had to be 4 minutes long, so we had to make an arrangement if our piece was longer. My piece was Tsuru no Sugomori, which has so many different variations. Many versions are well over 10 minutes long. So I did my best to cut a version which seemed to make sense, and might appeal to the judges. I was glad to get selected as a finalist, and then all I had to do was arrange a 6 minute piece.

There the trouble started. I sat for hours, trying and trying, writing a number of different versions, attempting to create a piece which was coherent, making sense as a whole, while being "impressive" for the judges, and yet pleasantly musical. The real trouble I had was the "impressive" aspect. My favourite music to play is honkyoku, and from that, the slowest, simplest pieces. I would have loved to play Choshi! But, I had to be realistic.

So I put it off, and off, and off.
Finally it was 1st July, 2 days before I was to depart for Sydney, and I still had no piece to play! It went right against my heartfelt nature as an artist, to try to create music to impress. It would be like if you were asked to use a dentist drill on your own teeth!

Well, finally I wrote it, practiced a couple of times, then got back to the finishing touches on the shakuhachi I had been busy making to take to the festival.

The day before we were to perform, we had a rehearsal. Everyone was wonderful! Wow, that was scary. Was I the only one who hadn't practiced, I nervously asked myself?! That evening I went to the roof of my hostel and went through my piece, ironing out the rough spots, and getting accustomed to the 1.6 I had just finished making and would perform on. The next morning too, we could practice as we waited, in the wonderful practice rooms which were free for all festival goers to use.

As Josh said, there was total friendliness between all of us, and I never noticed any sense of competitiveness. We were all just happy, very encouraging to each other, and nervous!

I was glad the audience seemed to enjoy the show, and glad the 3 of us could still remember our pieces when being talked into playing again 2 days later. That was nice, as we didn't have the pressure of being judged, and also for myself I could relax as my piece was quite squashed in the end into 6 minutes, so without that time limit I could really let go into the feeling of the moment, for each sound as phrase just as it wanted to be expressed - no mental constraint of time.

Also I would like to say thank you to the people for organising the competition. I know some of you don't like the idea so much of competitions, but I think it was wonderful. I think the competitive aspect actually had very little to do with it, in a way. Stuart Ransom, the president of the Australian shakuhachi society, was explaining to me how the whole idea of it was to encourage the younger generation of players, let us been seen and so on. Also some of us would not have been able to come had we not been in the competition. When he explained it like that, I was very touched, and realised how it was not about competition but more about love and compassion. Many thanks to all the organisers!

It was also lovely to meet some of the people here on the forum. Brian, great to meet you and lovely to hear you play that funky music with the guitar and all. Really brought a smile to my face! And, Kelvin, you're here on the forum! I didn't realize. It was really nice to meet you there too. Gishin, your shomyo and Michael (Chikuzen) with your shakuhachi, was great (I managed to sneak away from my shakuhachi table to see you perform one piece). Ronnie, lovely to meet you finally - mailing you soon. John Singer (not sure if on the forum?) was great and lovely to hear him playing those old shakuhachi. And all of you... such a pleasure. Hope to see you all again. Do drop in for tea of you are in town!

And of course, all of the performances and workshops were a great pleasure. Most of my greatest shakuhachi influences (and most of my teachers!) all under one roof. Furuya Teruo and Kakizakai Kaoru playing awesome honkyoku and Fukudo Rando music along with Matama Kazushi, Kurahashi Yoshio playing stunning experimental music (is it called?) with such attentiveness! And Araki Kodo V playing highly refined Kinko-ryu Honkyoku with the most superb tone colours - and his great master class on the highest subtleties of tone colour shifts for honkyoku and sankyoku as embodied in his exquisite playing.

Looking forward to the next get together!

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2008-07-15 09:59:59)

#31 2008-07-15 14:49:52

rpowers

Elliot K wrote:

If only Carl Orff had visited Japan we might have been saved from Carmina Burana.

Actually, this was the reviewer's statement, not Elliot's

But if there was no Carmina Burana, we  would have to listen to Journey at every  fireworks display.

Last edited by rpowers (2008-07-15 14:55:50)

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#32 2008-07-15 16:02:04

Elliot K
Website

OK, here are some pages of (barely) edited photos from both the Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies (Down Under edition) and the World Shakuhachi Festival 2008. At this point there are only pictures (taken by me and my wife, Cara), no words, so some of this may be a bit cryptic to those who weren't there, though much of it is pretty self-explanatory.

http://www.tweakshop.com/Shakucamp08.html

http://www.tweakshop.com/WSF081.html

http://www.tweakshop.com/WSF082.html

http://www.tweakshop.com/WSF083.html

http://www.tweakshop.com/WSF084.html

http://www.tweakshop.com/WSF085.html

Enjoy,

Elliot

PS: for more Sydney (and Ayer's Rock) scenic shots try:  http://www.panoramio.com/user/322867 and click on the Australia 2008 tag on the right.

#33 2008-07-15 16:47:53

Alex

Thanks Elliot!

Great pictures! Unfortunately I was not there but now I have a clearer idea of what I missed! It looks amazing! Great setiing, great atmosphere y "buen rollo", and great variety of performances and people!

Hope Kyoto 2012 really happens! I will start saving from now (four years should be enough!), and see you all there!!!

Salud y mucha alegria

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#34 2008-07-15 17:10:28

Karmajampa
Website

I had the enticing pleasure to handle and blow two of Justin's flutes. They are beautiful, meticulously crafted, seem to shimmer in my hands, so easy to blow I felt like I was making no effort at all.
They are so elegant, I felt like I was holding a luxury item. I hold this memory for my own flute making inspiration.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#35 2008-07-19 20:41:17

rpowers

This blog features comments on some of the festival events from someone who doesn't play:

http://plumbingthedeeps.typepad.com/bet … -2008.html

"Prize-fighter appearance" ? ? ?

#36 2008-07-19 22:38:28

edosan
Edomologist

Karmajampa wrote:

I had the enticing pleasure to handle and blow two of Justin's flutes. They are beautiful, meticulously crafted, seem to shimmer in my hands, so easy to blow I felt like I was making no effort at all.
They are so elegant, I felt like I was holding a luxury item. I hold this memory for my own flute making inspiration.

Kel.

Michael Gould spoke to me quite highly of them too, Justin. Wish I could've tried 'em...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#37 2008-07-20 04:43:50

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

edosan wrote:

Karmajampa wrote:

Kel.

Michael Gould spoke to me quite highly of them too, Justin. Wish I could've tried 'em...

Thanks guys for your appreciation. I was really glad for all of the positive response from my shakuhachi there in Australia. I am glad you guys share my tastes.

Well if you meet Michael you may have the chance to try play them. I should be sending some over soon.
I will try to put more info on my website too. As I play a variety of styles, I also make a variety of styles. I hope soon I can show you all what I mean, and put more sound clips too.

Justin

#38 2008-07-24 11:44:40

rpowers

Nyogetsu wrote:

There were not that many "surprises" in the Festival, except perhaps Kurahashi Sensei's awesome rendition of "Shakedown" (Who 'da thunk it !)
Ronnie

For those who were not privileged to witness this first hand, you might try to imagine this scenario:

Live at the Cow Palace this Saturday night--
a Steel Cage Grudgematch like none you've ever seen.
Watazumido meets Aphex Twin in a no-holds-barred Battle Royal.

Or you might not. Oh, and I forgot to mention the pogoing.

#39 2008-07-24 12:57:48

Lorka

Hi Justin,

I enjoyed your descrition of events, very much.  My teacher, Gishin, also had very nice things to say about your flutes.  He seemed very impressed.  I'm prety sure it was your flutes he was talking about.   A real sense of humility comes across.  It's refreshing.   

Now hurry up and post some pictures.  I don't see any on your website.  Curious Lorka wants to see

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#40 2008-07-24 22:05:41

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Lorka
Thanks. I really enjoyed meeting Gishin too. You're lucky to have him as your teacher!

As for pictures, what kind of pictures? Of my shakuhachi? Can't you see them? (Hopefully not a glitch in my website? Please let me know if so.)
Or of me? There is one of my hands. Also that's me on my CD page.

Best wishes
Justin

#41 2008-07-24 22:46:41

Lorka

Cool.  I like the pics you have up.  Very nice looking stuff.  I just had a little difficulty finding them on the website due to "user retardation" on my part.  Do you have more pics?

Last edited by Lorka (2008-07-24 22:48:49)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#42 2008-07-25 00:03:28

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

I should be uploading more pictures and sound files soon. Extremely busy at the moment.
I'm glad you liked what is there so far.

Justin

#43 2008-07-25 23:33:53

Karmajampa
Website

Regarding "Shakedown", that was a challenge to play live Shakuhachi against a CD background of predominantly electronica. I was off to the left side and did not notice any stereo placement but that would have filled the audio field in a more interesting way for me. As it was it sounded somewhat static in a mono form. Was anyone sitting centre for this and can verify a stereo field ?

It certainly had a dynamic energy. I would like to hear that one again.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#44 2008-07-31 13:28:02

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi everybody,
  Thanks for the positive feedback from everybody. Geni, a CD is on the way, but it is still a work in progress, kicking around a lot of ideas. Sorry I've been out of the loop lately, hanging out in the countryside in Italy, without much internet access. Heading up to Germany in a few days so I'll give my regards to Mozart for everyone. Maybe play a little Tamuke...

#45 2008-07-31 20:17:35

marek
Website

You should be visiting rather Austria or Prague for that Mozart stuff...
Yeah come along!

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#46 2008-08-01 01:53:15

rpowers

Finally got my photos more or less organized:

Rocky Camp Down Under
WSF 08
WSF 08 Performances
WSF 08 Farewell

If you haven't discovered them already, check out Dr. Kirsty's photos, too. This set includes my favorite performance picture from the festival.

#47 2008-08-01 08:45:24

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Very Cool! Any pics of the flute sellers anywhere? smile

Peace Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#48 2008-08-01 10:40:52

Josh
PhD
Website

Thanks Rich for placing me in you favorite pics category smile   There is an article with pics in the lates Hogaku Journal. They used pics of us playing the second time around in our t-shirts and stuff, but hey, I think I liked my second performance better anyway. It's more about the music anyway, but we can't deny the fact that the visual aspect also plays a role in performing. Marek, yes you're right. I'm leaving from Germay but I'm going to hang out in Austria for a few days first. Sorry about the confusion.

#49 2008-08-02 01:00:34

rpowers

One last photo:

Unpacking at home.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2724497552_ff1c27898e_m.jpg

Thanks, Sydney Duty-Free shops.

#50 2008-08-02 05:33:39

philthefluter
Website

Blog of the festival just posted at http://www.shakuhachizen.com/blog/blog.html.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

Board footer