You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-09 21:41:28

Moran from Planet X
Website

Before the End of the World

From: http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … 025#p15025

Tairaku wrote:

The Future Kurahashi Yoshio Sensei announced at the farewell dinner that he'll be throwing the next WSF in Kyoto in 2012.

Thank god we'll have one more World Shakuhachi Festival before The End of the World.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2008-07-09 23:28:53

nomaD43

Re: Before the End of the World

WSF - Kyoto - 2012?
I'll have to start saving my yen now. God knows I won't be needing it much after that, according to your posted video.
What a farewell party that will be. Count me in.
Damon

#3 2008-07-10 16:26:41

Moran from Planet X
Website

My greatest fear, based upon that YouTube video, is that everything will be destroyed except an endless loop of Enya recordings.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2008-07-10 17:44:55

Jim Thompson

After watching that video I decided to start drawing on my annuity immediately. Thanks for the tip.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#5 2008-07-10 17:48:33

Elliot K
Website

Dang!! That was TRULY depressing! I just want to slit my wrists after that - but I always feel that way about Enya....
Oh, and the video - except for the global warming stuff, really laughable. They've managed to take huge liberties with all of the "predictions" listed.
Talk about melodrama...
(And couldn't help noticing there weren't any Republican Anti-Christs.)

#6 2008-07-10 18:11:46

rpowers

The End of the World has an official website?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#7 2008-07-11 12:04:04

Vevolis
Website

Great. Now there's going to be another onslaught of Nostradamus biographies on A&E with middle aged participants providing echoed voice over whispering "One day, man will walk on the moon" or "buy long term high yield investments"...

#8 2008-07-13 14:43:58

Caligium

I doubt that the world will end in 2012. I heard Nostradamus made predictions beyond that. But I still should get laid before then just to be safe.

Last edited by Caligium (2008-07-13 14:44:22)

#9 2008-07-14 08:59:03

lowonthetotem
Website

Yawn

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#10 2008-07-14 13:58:46

Seth

I have vivid memories way back in high school of seeing an HBO special about Nostramameous (sp?) in which I learned that the world was going to end around 1994.   It freaked me out.  Somehow it just did not pan out as promised.

And then in 1999 we had a whole year of buzz about the 2000 bug that was also going to crash civilization.  Oh well.

It seems people are wired to always feel that the end of it all is right around the corner.   From a macro perspective this is of course very foolish, but always entertaining.   A while ago I read the back cover of a book about apocalypse hysteria around the end of year 999.  Apparently end-of-time fever was pretty feverish at that moment.

Once someone pointed out to me that the apocalypse is indeed going to occur in our lifetime, but merely on a personal and not a communal level.  In other words - your and my solo apocalypse is truly right around the corner,  but sadly we will have to endure it all on our own.

Last edited by Seth (2008-07-14 14:04:06)

#11 2008-07-15 00:04:56

Moran from Planet X
Website

Seth wrote:

And then in 1999 we had a whole year of buzz about the 2000 bug that was also going to crash civilization.  Oh well.

Spooky-wooky late-night radio personality Art Bell gave that 2000 scare some real traction. Any Art Bell listeners out there in UFO-land?

The 2012 jazz originally surfaced in a book by Jose Arguelles titled The Transformative Vision (published in 1975 by the very respectable Shambhala Publications, I might add). He made a career out of it. Anyone remember the 1987 "Harmonic Convergence"? That was Arguelles' brainchild too.

#12 2008-07-15 01:51:50

axolotl
Website

Ya know, the word 'apocalypse' just means 'eye opening' and is the same word as 'revelation', essentially.  So don' worry 'bout it! 

Um, ok, so that's just a technical note.  Well, yes, there are many things threatening the well being of the planet and the human race...

However, not everyone will die in the upcoming War With China/Peak Oil Hysteria/Global Warming/India-Pakistan Nuclear War/Zombiepocalypse.  I'm sure quite a few of us will survive.  Like me, in my concrete bunker surrounded by pungee sticks, as I happily raise hydroponic tomatoes and bamboo.

#13 2008-07-15 12:50:07

radi0gnome
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Seth wrote:

Spooky-wooky late-night radio personality Art Bell gave that 2000 scare some real traction. Any Art Bell listeners out there in UFO-land?

Remember, there was a stock market crash. Kmart, Worldcom, and Enron went bankrupt as a result of the crash that started in 2000. It wasn't exactly the end of the world, but it wasn't entirely a non-event either. I used to like the UFO stuff and Art Bell. I particularly liked the topic of spontaneous human invisibility. It's totally for real, have you ever stood at a counter for service and the staff doesn't even see you? Someone told me that some shaman can do this at will. They can go into a crowd and make it so no one will notice them. Kind of out there, but deep if you think about it. 

Chris Moran wrote:

The 2012 jazz originally surfaced in a book by Jose Arguelles titled The Transformative Vision (published in 1975 by the very respectable Shambhala Publications, I might add). He made a career out of it. Anyone remember the 1987 "Harmonic Convergence"? That was Arguelles' brainchild too.

Yes, I remember that, it was on 11/11. It was talked about a lot in certain communities for a good year or more. There was a stock market crash in Oct '87 too. It looks like the new-age people keep predicting either terrible things (in the case of 2000) or great things (the 11/11) but all they do is get stock market collapses (2000) or stock market buying opportunities (11/11). It's a good thing the energy channels itself to a safe place. It makes sense because money is a symbol of energy. If there weren't free markets, who knows where the energy would direct itself.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#14 2008-07-17 22:23:46

Caligium

radi0gnome wrote:

I particularly liked the topic of spontaneous human invisibility. It's totally for real, have you ever stood at a counter for service and the staff doesn't even see you? Someone told me that some shaman can do this at will. They can go into a crowd and make it so no one will notice them. Kind of out there, but deep if you think about it.

Interesting...

#15 2008-07-18 10:05:33

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Caligium wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

I particularly liked the topic of spontaneous human invisibility. It's totally for real, have you ever stood at a counter for service and the staff doesn't even see you? Someone told me that some shaman can do this at will. They can go into a crowd and make it so no one will notice them. Kind of out there, but deep if you think about it.

Interesting...

I'm not a shaman but this explains my experience yesterday....at the post office. smile

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#16 2008-07-18 10:14:31

edosan
Edomologist

Yungflutes wrote:

I'm not a shaman but this explains my experience yesterday....at the post office. smile

NOT a shaman? I'm shocked, SHOCKED!!    smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#17 2008-07-18 16:16:31

Caligium

I don't think there is anything supernatural about it. I just think sometimes the human brain just might not register that one human has a presence. There have been times I have looked straight at an object and not realized it was even there. It could have something to do with the person who is being unnoticed and the people who aren't noticing them. But from what I read yesterday there is no explanation.

Last edited by Caligium (2008-07-18 16:17:57)

#18 2008-07-18 17:23:57

marek
Website

Years ago I have read that this can be done by strong belief that you cannot be seen. There was also a ritual to be perfromed to achieve this, however, this was perceived as a tool to help you heighten your determination and belief.
I am not into that kind of business anymore though. I sit and stare.

Cheers.

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

Board footer