Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-17 03:50:23

{TKG}MALICE
Website

a question on a symbols used in notation (beginner with no teacher)

i get the notation system, what i dont understand are certain symbols that go along the lines , i will post a link to a pic on a score to show you what i am talking about, i also dont have any books or any money......

http://hosting02.imagecross.com/image-h … estion.jpg

the wavy lines , i was assuming means breathy sound? and the straight lines , what do they mean

any help will be greaty appreciated

Last edited by {TKG}MALICE (2008-07-17 03:51:05)

#2 2008-07-17 10:23:29

Zakarius

Re: a question on a symbols used in notation (beginner with no teacher)

Though I don't have that particular score, it looks like a score by Yokoyama Katsuya. The verticle lines which shift to the left signify added meri (tilting the chin/pitch down). In the case of the first line, the Tsu meri switches to Tsu dai meri (VERY down). The horizontal wave is a 'nayashi' which is when you quickly tilt the chin/pitch down and then back up to the normal pitch. The strange zig-zag in the third line indicates a repeat of the switch between the first two notes. In the middle of the last line, the Re note (top three holes closed) shifts to a Chi note (top two holes closed) at the end of the breath.

Two more things... something tells me that if you didn't know most of this, you should try your hands at easier pieces (Sokkan looks much tougher). If you don't have money for a teacher or book, how did you manage to get your hands on this notation (I'm sure it was published in a book and okay for one of Yokoyama's students to give it to their students)?

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2008-07-17 10:26:41

Jim Thompson

{TKG}MALICE wrote:

i get the notation system, what i dont understand are certain symbols that go along the lines , i will post a link to a pic on a score to show you what i am talking about, i also dont have any books or any money......

http://hosting02.imagecross.com/image-h … estion.jpg

the wavy lines , i was assuming means breathy sound? and the straight lines , what do they mean

any help will be greaty appreciated

Hi TKG,
          Your first arrow in line 1:   The little crook in the line indicates bending(meri) down 1/2 step from the original pitch(tsu meri-E flat) to tsu omeri(D).
                  2nd arrow line 1: means bending the original pitch down a whole step(2 half steps) and bending back up to original pitch.
              Arrow in line 3: I'm not totally sure about this but I think it's a hit or two followed by shaking. I'll be waiting for somebody to answer this myself.
              1st arrow in the last line is the same thing as the 1st arrow in the 1st line.
             Is that a 2nd arrow on the last line? If so, the small chi to the right is played very softly and is short in duration.  There is a short vertical line after the small chi that I think is either a mistake or something I've never seen before.  The soft chi sort of thing I've only seen as a last note of a phrase.
             Hope that helps.             
                                          Good luck
                                                               Jim

Last edited by Jim Thompson (2008-07-17 11:44:26)

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#4 2008-07-17 11:57:36

Jim Thompson

After consulting a Yokoyama recording, I think the line 3 marking in question is actually combining shaking and hitting.  The shake is actually an up and down(pitch) shake with a  hit at the top of each bend up. The hit is very light and almost imperceptible but definitely there. That's what I hear on the recording. If somebody knows better, please straighten me out.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#5 2008-07-17 14:34:48

{TKG}MALICE
Website

thanks very much , now i can understand it,, i want to get into writing it, i am a western musician. but i am use to seeing asian styles of notation, i got a guzheng (sort of like a koto from china)  and it had strange notation.  but i think this is easyer to read than western staff notation but yeah, your help is really appriciated

#6 2008-07-17 14:38:41

{TKG}MALICE
Website

Zakarius wrote:

Two more things... something tells me that if you didn't know most of this, you should try your hands at easier pieces (Sokkan looks much tougher). If you don't have money for a teacher or book, how did you manage to get your hands on this notation (I'm sure it was published in a book and okay for one of Yokoyama's students to give it to their students)?

Zak -- jinashi size queen

i found it on shakuhachi.com it was a display peice showing what the music looked like, and i have found several other honkyoku notations , from this place,  but yeah it is yokoyamas sokkan, im not learning this one yet, im still getting use to reading it, im using finger charts to make my own exercises right now and learning to read it

#7 2008-07-17 17:32:18

edosan
Edomologist

Jim Thompson wrote:

After consulting a Yokoyama recording, I think the line 3 marking in question is actually combining shaking and hitting.

No shaking, no hitting (although there is one hit right at the end of the figure, in the transition out of it). As Zak said earlier, it's a repeat of the first two notes (either the meri'd U followed by U, or the meri'd Re followed by Re in a later example), sliding from the lower to the higher-pitched note, which increases in speed as the phrase goes to completion--the 'bouncing ball' figure that is often used in Honkyoku.

BTW: Whether you're trying to learn it or not, it's a good idea to get a recording of the piece if you don't already have one; it would not teach you how to play it, but it would help clear up how the sounds work.

Last edited by edosan (2008-07-17 17:43:40)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2008-07-18 00:16:57

{TKG}MALICE
Website

yah i got a recording of it luckaly from another website that i was looking for the sheetmusic

Board footer