Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-20 14:20:13

cshimmin

A lost shakuhachi player would like direction!

Greetings from Japan! Let me tell you about myself and the extraordinary events that have led me to encounter shakuhachi!!

Well, I am a physics student at UC Berkeley in California. This summer, I got a research job through the university, located Japan.
Coming to Japan, I knew pretty much nothing about Japanese music. However, I am a banjo player, and someone told me about a strange banjo-ish instrument from Japan called Shamisen. Immediately I checked it out on youtube and fell in love. So when I first arrived here (a few months ago), I set out looking for a Shamisen to buy.

Now, it happens that I have a friend from Berkeley who grew up near my location in Japan, so I asked him where I could obtain one. He asked his mother, and her friend ended up just giving me one. I was dumbfounded, speechless, but filled with such happiness and excitement! What's more, the benefactor is a shamisen instructor, and invited me to a class at held at the local middle school, in addition to her personal lessons. I took her up on the middle school lessons just for the interesting cultural exchange, and very interesting it was.

At these school lessons, there was one instructor who always played the melodies out on a strange bamboo flute. At the end of the shamisen lesson, I asked what it was, and he told me. You guessed it, shakuhachi. He asked if I wanted to try, and so I did. Now, I play many instruments: guitar, banjo, mandolin, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, flute, the list goes on. Never have I encountered an instrument that I simply cannot make a sound out of!!! Yet, there I was, blowing my lungs out for almost half an hour, to no avail!

Well, I was somewhat disappointed, but now I had shakuhachi on my mind. It was like a mountain I had to climb! At he next lesson (about 2 days ago), I was about to ask him if I could have a second go at it. But before I could ask, he presented me with a shakuhachi of my own!!! I simply couldn't believe it. Once, with the shamisen, okay. But again??? I couldn't even find the words to express my gratitude. But even if I could, it wouldn't help because he speaks no English, and my Japanese is terrible. Nonetheless, I am certain the very deep, sincere, and respectful exchange of bows, even without words, expressed fully my appreciation.

I am happy to say that the second time round, I was able to make a few peeps here and there. Now, after practicing for a day straight, I can make a fairly consistent sound, and I play Kokirikobushi, the first song I learned on the shamisen.
At any rate, now I have a shakuhachi and I want to learn more about it, so I have found the shakuhaci forums! I'm happy to receive any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks for hearing my story; I look forward to learning from the vibrant community here.

#2 2008-07-20 15:25:28

edosan
Edomologist

Re: A lost shakuhachi player would like direction!

A great story, and well told!

It seems you have led a righteous and proper life, to receive such gifts smile

Welcome to the shakuhachi maelstrom.

My only advice at this point is: spend 5-10 minutes at least once daily blowing loooooong tones, starting with the lowest hole closed. My guess is you already know how to breathe from the oboe/bassoon experience. Long tones. Lots.

Each one as long as you can sustain it. Rinse, repeat.

Oh, and find a teacher, and take at least SOME lessons.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2008-07-20 15:26:53)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-07-20 15:38:26

Jim Thompson

Welcome Cshimmin,
    Wow!  That story will definitely get you in.  I'd say Japanese music is flirting with you. Enjoy the ride. Sounds like you've been chosen. You have work to do.    Where do you live in Japan?  Sounds like you are already in the middle of things.  Lots of good information here.    Keep us posted.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#4 2008-07-20 15:51:22

cshimmin

I'm living in a tiny village that's actually in Gifu-ken, but the closest interesting city is Toyama (in Toyama-ken), about 30~40 minutes away. The reason I live in such a small town is because the laboratory is underground in an old mine in the alps.

The place I have been receiving shamisen lessons is in a small town called Oyama, which is very near Tateyama town. I think the man who gifted me the shakuhachi will give me some lessons, but it is difficult with the language barrier. I hope there is somewhere I can continue my learning back in the states! Anyone know of such a place in the California Bay Area?

#5 2008-07-20 16:44:06

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Welcome to the forum and to the shakuhachi world!
You seem to have been led into this world. Must be destiny! wink

cshimmin wrote:

me the shakuhachi will give me some lessons, but it is difficult with the language barrier. I hope there is somewhere I can continue my learning back in the states! Anyone know of such a place in the California Bay Area?

The San Francisco Bay Area probably has the the biggest density of shakhachi teachers and players outside Japan. Teachers? There are Koga, John Singer, Phil Gelb among others. Have a look at the Teachers and dojo section her on the forum!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2008-07-20 17:20:14

edosan
Edomologist

cshimmin wrote:

the man who gifted me the shakuhachi will give me some lessons, but it is difficult with the language barrier.

I don't think the language barrier will be much of a problem; just pay attention, and you'll be fine if the man is a decent teacher--he'll SHOW what to do and not to do. Most of it has more to do with watching, mimicking, and following than talking, especially at the beginning.

Sounds like a great gig you have there.

Last edited by edosan (2008-07-20 17:21:52)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2008-07-20 18:44:25

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

cshimmin, the language barrier definitely isn't a problem.  I learned from a teacher who spoke no English and I no Japanese.  That situation leads to a visceral understanding of the music and instrument.  Welcome to the world of shakuhachi and if you ever get down to Kyushu (specifically Kumamoto) give me a call.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer