Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-22 23:41:12

Moran from Planet X
Website

Any shakuhachi equivalent to "I Feel Good"?

I remember a dozen or two years back some rock singer saying that the first thing he did in the morning to kick-start himself was put on a copy of James Brown's "I Feel Good."

If there a shakuhachi equivalent to this?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2008-07-23 00:12:03

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Any shakuhachi equivalent to "I Feel Good"?

i play "Play that Funky Shakuhachi White Boy"

#3 2008-07-23 00:14:11

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

You could play tamuke to remind you that you will definitely die. That may the the Buddhist approach. As one master has said, "Anything done without remembering death is a waste of time".

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#4 2008-07-23 00:31:06

Moran from Planet X
Website

geni wrote:

i play "Play that Funky Shakuhachi White Boy"

Will this be on your next CD?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#5 2008-07-23 00:33:29

Moran from Planet X
Website

Justin wrote:

You could play tamuke to remind you that you will definitely die. That may the the Buddhist approach. As one master has said, "Anything done without remembering death is a waste of time".

Thanks Justin, I'll put that quote next to the loaded .38 and the package of razor blades I keep on my nightstand.

#6 2008-07-23 00:35:59

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

yes. That will the title of the Cd also:-)

#7 2008-07-23 09:47:06

Zakarius

Justin wrote:

Unfortunately for me here in Taiwan, every time I get on the road I'm reminded of my impending death once a minute or so...

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#8 2008-07-24 09:54:06

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

It's interesting how remembering death is something many people don't like. Or makes them feel depressed. I find it can have the opposite effect. If one is sure one is treading the wrong path, and not going to change that, it must be quite depressing to think about death. But I think the purpose is quite different. It puts everything into perspective.

Are you living life in such a way based on the false presumption that you will live forever? Truth is truth, so death is truth. When we look at that face to face, I think it bares naked a certain honesty. Then we can choose to face that honesty, and live according to it, or not. I think that if we do, death becomes almost a companion. Or ...  like a reminder. Reflecting us to truth again.

Justin

#9 2008-07-24 13:23:20

Zakarius

Justin wrote:

It's interesting how remembering death is something many people don't like. Or makes them feel depressed. I find it can have the opposite effect. If one is sure one is treading the wrong path, and not going to change that, it must be quite depressing to think about death. But I think the purpose is quite different. It puts everything into perspective.

Are you living life in such a way based on the false presumption that you will live forever? Truth is truth, so death is truth. When we look at that face to face, I think it bares naked a certain honesty. Then we can choose to face that honesty, and live according to it, or not. I think that if we do, death becomes almost a companion. Or ...  like a reminder. Reflecting us to truth again.

If I die of old age, some disease brought about by my own foolishness, a freakish act of nature, etc., I believe I can die in peace. A death at the hands of some fool on the other hand...

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#10 2008-07-24 21:28:58

radi0gnome
Website

Justin wrote:

Justin

Well, there are immortalists out there. They take the whole mind/body mastery thing to the extreme. You know, how you're attitude and such can make you ill, take a few (or maybe a lot of) steps further and you don't necessarily have to die. I don't know how far any one of them got with this, as far as I know nobody has developed their mind/body mastery to that point yet. Or maybe there have been individuals who did, but they chose to die anyway. I know that there's an expression that says that the only things inevitable are death and taxes. I've learned that there are some oil rich countries right now that don't tax their people, so who knows, maybe the immortalists are right.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#11 2008-08-01 13:09:42

axolotl
Website

How about ro buki?  smile

I am supposed to put the piece aside, but I keep playing "Mogamigawa Funa Uta" from time to time cuz it has such a zippy little melody.  I actually knew the choral version of the piece way back when.

Board footer