No dai meris in that song though.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#52 2008-08-05 04:43:31

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Playing 'anything'

I have only played shakuhachi for 19 years and I do consider myself a newcomer in this field when listening to the really amazing players and makers, who have done what we love for 50-60 years!
I find it therefore fascinating that us newcomers to shakuhashi - as most of us are - can write what many makers do not check on their instruments, which school is toughest , that players play too sharp or to flat or different...

It is certainly not true that makers do not check their instrument for a technique so common as the one mentioned here. Not if it is good makers worth mentioning.
But in shakuhachi playing and making, there are so many variables that it is a challenge for us players to find out how this particular instrument plays. This takes time! Shakuhachi is no instant gratitude instrument! A person like Simura Satosi plays his flutes for years before he would say he knows the flute well enough to play it in public because he wants to find the fingerings which works best on the new flute.

The new school of Yokoyama Katusya (Dokyoku, KSK and now Chikushinkai [just to summarise the confusion]) uses this fingering called ru in combinations like chi ru tsu no meri. The ru seems to be a type of u, but with a shaded first hole. Not all shakuhachi plays this note well - in fact none of mine does...
I discussed it once with Simura, mentioned above. He told me that most jinashi shakuhachi (and a few jinuri) do not react very well to this fingering unless the maker intensionally wanted it to play this. However, he told me, it is unnecessary to use this technique when playing jinashi shakuhachi, as it is usually much easier to play flat on a jinashi than on jinuri. It is therefore not necessary to add the shading of finger hole 1. (There is a whole section about the difference in meri between jinuri and jinashi in Simura's book, 'Kokan shakuhachi no gakki gaku' (古管尺八の楽器学). He has made many analysis of meri notes played on different instruments). So, due to either being inexperienced or feeling one should play exactly as one has learned from our teacher, many players play not the best fingering on the particular flute they own. Shakuhachi is all about being adaptable and flexible. The beauty of the shakuhachi does also lie in the fact that that we humans are not the superior being. The bamboo is - to a certain degree without it becoming a dogma, of course. No shakuhachi without a human being modifying the bamboo. However, when we are not flexible as players, then we say it is the flute that is not good, but at times it is us who have not explored the possibility of that bamboo yet!

Last year at Bisei, I overheard a teacher from KSK/Dokyoku/Chikushinkai tell a group of people who were interested in buying John Neptune's flutes, that John's jinashi flutes were not good because they could not play chi ru! I then took the flute and said, that if the fingering, that most experienced jinashi players would use, was used, then chi ru could be played on ALL John's flutes - I just don't finger it the way Yokoyama does or did. The teacher just said, I know.... but why tell people off about John's flutes when they could play chi ru perfectly without adding the shading on first hole? The pitch produced without the hole 1 shaded was as flat as any KSK/Dokyoku/Chikushinkai player's ru. Some flutes get deep down in meri without the help of shadings, even though shading is necessary on other flutes.

I would just say that all schools have special fingering or breathing techniques. All schools are tough about the rendition of koten honkyoku (which is what we all play). All schools I have encountered are dead serious about the continuation and transmission of koten honkyoku. Only when we are inexperienced do you not realise that we believe 'our' school is the toughest because we still have narrow ears and understanding and only hear the aim and toughness in our own particular rendition. If we do not open up for our soul to hear what players of other schools have spent years and years making perfect... we simply miss out a lot!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#53 2008-08-05 07:46:39

Alex

Kiku Day wrote:

I would just say that all schools have special fingering or breathing techniques. All schools are tough about the rendition of koten honkyoku (which is what we all play). All schools I have encountered are dead serious about the continuation and transmission of koten honkyoku. Only when we are inexperienced do you not realise that we believe 'our' school is the toughest because we still have narrow ears and understanding and only hear the aim and toughness in our own particular rendition. If we do not open up for our soul to hear what players of other schools have spent years and years making perfect... we simply miss out a lot!

Kiku, that's just... beautiful! smile

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#54 2008-08-05 08:10:57

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Dear Kiku
Since it was I who said " But I think our school is perhaps the toughest, or one of the toughest, about the depth of pitch and power of these notes" it seems you are referring to me. From your tone, it sounds like you have misunderstood what I have said. If you read through the thread, you will notice that I have been discussing shakuhachi making with Brian (and others) and how makers can be specifically working with the peculiarities of particular schools. I did not say that Chikushinkai is the toughest school as you imply but said that Chikushinkai is perhaps the toughest about the depth and power of the pitch of kan no ro dai meri and tsu dai meri (actually dai dai meri) at the pitch or ro (as an example of a peculiarity of a school which must be catered for in the instruments used by that school). If you would like to contribute to the discussion by informing us of other schools who also insist on kan no ro dai meri being strictly at the pitch of ri, or lower even, and insist that it should be more powerful than regular ro, please do contribute such information. That would be very interesting. Since I have not encountered that, I gave my opinion to the forum, "I think our school is perhaps..."

I would appreciate it if you could keep a friendly tone. It is so nice that everyone shares what they have learned and experienced, here on the forum. Although I usually do not have time to do so, recently I have very much enjoyed participating here.

Best wishes

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2008-08-05 13:04:20)

#55 2008-08-05 08:24:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

The new school of Yokoyama Katusya (Dokyoku, KSK and now Chikushinkai [just to summarise the confusion]) uses this fingering called ru in combinations like chi ru tsu no meri. The ru seems to be a type of u, but with a shaded first hole. Not all shakuhachi plays this note well - in fact none of mine does...
I discussed it once with Simura, mentioned above. He told me that most jinashi shakuhachi (and a few jinuri) do not react very well to this fingering unless the maker intensionally wanted it to play this. However, he told me, it is unnecessary to use this technique when playing jinashi shakuhachi, as it is usually much easier to play flat on a jinashi than on jinuri. It is therefore not necessary to add the shading of finger hole 1. (There is a whole section about the difference in meri between jinuri and jinashi in Simura's book, 'Kokan shakuhachi no gakki gaku' (古管尺八の楽器学). He has made many analysis of meri notes played on different instruments). So, due to either being inexperienced or feeling one should play exactly as one has learned from our teacher, many players play not the best fingering on the particular flute they own. Shakuhachi is all about being adaptable and flexible. The beauty of the shakuhachi does also lie in the fact that that we humans are not the superior being. The bamboo is - to a certain degree without it becoming a dogma, of course. No shakuhachi without a human being modifying the bamboo. However, when we are not flexible as players, then we say it is the flute that is not good, but at times it is us who have not explored the possibility of that bamboo yet!

Thanks Kiku.

Changing the subject a bit, but related to what you say here, Simura-san said something interesting at his talk in Sydney.

He IMPLORED us not to modify our vintage finds to try to play according to different standards than those of the original maker. He said if we find vintage flutes to play them a lot and try to learn how to get the best out of them.

I agree with that generally although I admit I have "fixed" a few vintage flutes. Only when there was something radically wrong and when I thought the maker didn't know what he was doing when he made the flute. And if it was a simple fix.

I wouldn't change anything as mindless as a sharp chi. Sometimes vintage flutes do not play the note "U" in kan. But if you realize that you can get around it by playing chi meri instead. Better to do that than modify the flute because usually when you gain something from a change you lose something else.

Your point about adaptability is relevant here. If you grab a flute and get angry because it doesn't respond in a predictable manner or try to force it into a rigid way of playing you lose the opportunity to play that flute the way it wants to be played.

#56 2008-08-05 08:46:33

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

He IMPLORED us not to modify our vintage finds to try to play according to different standards than those of the original maker. He said if we find vintage flutes to play them a lot and try to learn how to get the best out of them.

[...]
I wouldn't change anything as mindless as a sharp chi. Sometimes vintage flutes do not play the note "U" in kan. But if you realize that you can get around it by playing chi meri instead. Better to do that than modify the flute because usually when you gain something from a change you lose something else.

Hi Brian
I think that's great advice. It's kind of our heritage I think.
I have one tip that might be useful for anyone who really does insist on changing an antique shakuhachi though. If you really can't adapt to the sharp chi, or if there's another note that is too sharp for you to control, you can make the hole smaller, but in a reversible way. Make some dough (just mix flour and water), and use that to fill in the hole, and its undercut, to make it smaller. It might take more than one application if it (the dough) cracks on drying.

Then when you want the shakuhachi to be once again in its original condition, all you have to do is wet the dough and wait until it is soft, then remove it! Be careful not to just pull it out dry as you might take some urushi with it. Finally, clean the area with a wet ear cleaner.

I did this on a lovely Edo period shakuhachi I have which was badly out of tune (several holes) but has a lovely tone colour and is a good player. Now it plays great, and I am happy in knowing that the original maker's work is left unchanged.

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-08-05 08:48:31)

#57 2008-08-05 10:04:04

Zakarius

Kiku Day wrote:

Last year at Bisei, I overheard a teacher from KSK/Dokyoku/Chikushinkai tell a group of people who were interested in buying John Neptune's flutes, that John's jinashi flutes were not good because they could not play chi ru! I then took the flute and said, that if the fingering, that most experienced jinashi players would use, was used, then chi ru could be played on ALL John's flutes - I just don't finger it the way Yokoyama does or did. The teacher just said, I know.... but why tell people off about John's flutes when they could play chi ru perfectly without adding the shading on first hole? The pitch produced without the hole 1 shaded was as flat as any KSK/Dokyoku/Chikushinkai player's ru. Some flutes get deep down in meri without the help of shadings, even though shading is necessary on other flutes.

You've got 17 years of experience on me, Kiku, so I hope I'm not out of place by asking, but perhaps the 'pitch' of the Ru would be the same on a jinashi (or Neptune flute) without half-holing #1 but the 'tone color' would be brighter (or at least different). Perhaps that was what was being implied...

Zak -- jinashi size queen

Last edited by Zakarius (2008-08-05 10:04:40)

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#58 2008-08-05 10:48:23

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Zak
I don't mean to answer on Kiku's behalf, but there is some confusion here so I had better explain. I can be pretty sure that the complaint was not meant to be about simply chi ru. Chi ru is generally not a problem on most shakuhachi, and it is common to many schools, the same as it is played it in Chikushinkai. The difficulty comes in chi ru tsu ru (tsu being tsu meri).

I won't talk more about this, as it takes too many words to explain when the sound is simple to just demonstrate. If anyone really wants to study about and understand this technique and what has been talked about, it is best to study under a Chikushinkai teacher.

Brian, perhaps this is why you vow to not teach technique on the forum?
smile

Happy blowing everyone.

Justin

#59 2008-08-05 12:55:53

Kiku Day
Website

Zakarius wrote:

You've got 17 years of experience on me, Kiku, so I hope I'm not out of place by asking, but perhaps the 'pitch' of the Ru would be the same on a jinashi (or Neptune flute) without half-holing #1 but the 'tone color' would be brighter (or at least different). Perhaps that was what was being implied...

I did mean chi - ru - tsu no meri - ru, but didn't write that whole phrase out. Sorry for my laziness!
I think the tone colour would vary even between each individual flute playing with hole 1 shaded...or with each flute which reacts the best with hole 1 open on ru (as dokyoku/KSK/Chikushinkai call it). Or  even with each player playing that note.
That is the wonder of the shakuhachi escaping standardisation! smile
Isn't that fantastic?

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#60 2008-08-05 15:46:54

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

Hi Perry,

Justin has been saying that most shakuhachi makers don't play Yokoyama Katsuya's honkyoku and consequently don't test their flutes for dai meri.  Can we hear another maker's view on this topic?  And are you an exception to that rule?

Enjoy your summer; the Yosakoi festival is coming up this weekend in Kochi; lots of dancing in the streets.
Best Wishes,

Daniel

Hey Daniel,
I can only answer in regards to my experience of learning under Kinya Sogawa and visiting others professional makers - Tom Deaver, John Neptune, Murai Eigoro, Motofumi Tatakawa (OSHU), and a several highly crafty hobbyists.

Kinya and Tom went through Chikusen Tamai's workshop. From what I know, it was quite well organized. Newbies washed bamboo and the top apprentices checked the flutes for playability before it left the shop. Kinya went through all the stages. I once asked if he could make two shakuhachi that played exactly alike and he gave me a look that said "impossible". But, he said that when he was checking flutes before they were sent out, he could always tell who tuned which flutes.

I also asked Kinya how many professional makers there where in Japan, he said about ten. In my experience of visiting the makers, I saw that all except one were very highly skilled players. That one's instruments were impressive, but impressed me the least.

I just did a search on my blog to see when I was writing about this stuff. This link goes to a blog entry I wrote in June 2005 where I tested a flute for Jin Nyodo techniques and compared it with Dokyoku techniques. It work for Nyodo's style but not work when using the Chi Ru in Dokyoku.
http://www.yungflutes.com/log/archives/ … funct.html

I should mention that I studied Dokyoku, not Yokoyama's music. Although Kinya studied under Yokoyama, he also studied with many other players and graduated from NHK so he has a very diverse approach to both playing and making shakuhachi. His notations were not from Yokoyama's school but were hand written and transcribed directly from Watazumi's music.  He often referred to Watazumi during the lessons and never once referred to Yokoyama. So, in my understanding, I studied Dokyoku. I don't know if there is a difference in fingering techniques but I do know that Kinya showed alternate ways of fingering things. So if a certain fingering didn't work as well as desired, just open a certain hole more and meri more etc...As a matter of fact, all my teachers have taught this way.

Getting back to your original question Dainel, I really do not know if other maker's play Yokoyama's style of music and check their flutes by blowing Dai meri notes. But, I do check my flutes for all the techniques I know and do not consider myself an exception.

Enjoy Yosakoi. We recently had a lot of Obon Odori Festivals here in the US!
All the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#61 2008-08-05 17:14:04

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Changing the subject a bit, but related to what you say here (Kiku), Simura-san said something interesting at his talk in Sydney.

I agree with that generally although I admit I have "fixed" a few vintage flutes. Only when there was something radically wrong and when I thought the maker didn't know what he was doing when he made the flute. And if it was a simple fix.

Your point about adaptability is relevant here. If you grab a flute and get angry because it doesn't respond in a predictable manner or try to force it into a rigid way of playing you lose the opportunity to play that flute the way it wants to be played.

Having worked on many old flutes, I have nothing but very deep respect for these fine historical artifacts. They possess a lot of Chikuin. When damaged, I try to only refurbish them with my low impact approach to repairs - topical bindings, filling chipped utaguchi instead of replacing. And only if the tunning is way off to where it can not play shakuhachi music (I'm referring to flutes that are meant to play a style).  There's nothing like blowing into an old flute that arrived with cob webs in the bore and had been cracked for 20 or more years. It's sort of like shaking hands with an ancient kindred spirit. I only want to do them justice, not mess with their spirit.

I had a great massage therapist in Northampton who was into cranial work and others spiritual stuff. She once asked me after a session, "You work on flutes right? Are these flutes spiritual?" I said yes, they come from a spiritual tradition. She then asked if I had a really really old flute around. She felt an old spirit around me that day.

Who knows, maybe she did, maybe she didn't. But, I certainly feel the past when playing these old flutes.

Here is one I am enjoying these days. The utaguchi is cut below a node, the bottom has an ugly shade of green, the Ri and Hi Go are sharp. The rides a little bumpy...who cares? She's over a 100 years old!

http://www.yungflutes.com/ebayphotos/shavedzen.jpg

http://www.yungflutes.com/ebayphotos/shavedzenb.jpg
No utaguchi inlay - a real rogue spirit! smile

Peace, Perry

#62 2008-08-05 17:38:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Peace, Perry

Nice flute. No utaguchi, probably made by some crazy komuso! lol

Perry what do you think about correcting major construction errors such as that 2.4 where ro was A and the rest of the flute was in line with Bb? Is that Kosher or should we leave it alone?

#63 2008-08-05 17:53:33

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

Peace, Perry

Nice flute. No utaguchi, probably made by some crazy komuso! lol

Perry what do you think about correcting major construction errors such as that 2.4 where ro was A and the rest of the flute was in line with Bb? Is that Kosher or should we leave it alone?

Hey Brian, The question for me is would you play it after it was reversed. When we looked at the flute, we both agreed it can not play the music as we understood it.  Perhaps the maker just wanted to Blow Zen and didn't play a style of shakuhachi music. I guess if that what you want to do, then yes, you should return to the bowl smile

I recently retuned a 60- 70 year old Tozan. It has a fully plastered bore so I know what the maker was after. Holes #1, #2, #4 and #5 were all a semi tone flat. They were drilled almost a centimeter too low. Lowering Ro would taken major surgery since the length was a perfect 1.8. It was easier to enlarge the those tone holes. I only did this because it made the flute very playable as opposed to something I wouldn't play.

Peace, Perry

#64 2008-08-05 17:58:24

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hey Brian, The question for me is would you play it after it was reversed. When we looked at the flute, we both agreed it can not play the music as we understood it.  Perhaps the maker just wanted to Blow Zen and didn't play a style of shakuhachi music. I guess if that what you want to do, then yes, you should return to the bowl smile

Yeah, everything else about that flute was nice except ro was a half step flat. That flute is a good example of something that needs to be played a certain way (frantically) to get the most out of it. Ishibashi said it was made by one of Watazumi's students but didn't know which one. I think I will play it today.

#65 2008-08-05 19:27:30

Kiku Day
Website

What a beauty, Perry. I can understand you are enjoying that one!
It is very nice to see more and more people are respecting old flutes and realise their pecularities and the work one needs to invest in playing them. I would have retuned too back in the days, but today I find it very interesting and giving to try to adapt to the flute and figure out its secrets! A new flute is like a new lover of the soul! wink

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#66 2008-08-05 21:16:35

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hey Brian, The question for me is would you play it after it was reversed. When we looked at the flute, we both agreed it can not play the music as we understood it.

Hi Perry, tested it today by taping up the vent hole and true enough it SUCKED. So we did the right thing. cool

#67 2008-08-05 22:37:39

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

What a beauty, Perry. I can understand you are enjoying that one!
It is very nice to see more and more people are respecting old flutes and realise their pecularities and the work one needs to invest in playing them. I would have retuned too back in the days, but today I find it very interesting and giving to try to adapt to the flute and figure out its secrets! A new flute is like a new lover of the soul! wink

Hi Kiku, Just don't tell my...ichiban....flute...that is:)

Tairaku wrote:

Hi Perry, tested it today by taping up the vent hole and true enough it SUCKED. So we did the right thing. cool

That's what I remembered smile It was a beautiful piece of bamboo, but you know how it is with shakuhachi - one little thing can be a big thing. In the case of that flute, the Ro tuning being so off was not a little thing.

Peace, Perry

#68 2008-08-06 00:38:23

Horst Xenmeister
Shiham
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

I find it therefore fascinating that us newcomers to shakuhashi - as most of us are - can write what many makers do not check on their instruments, which school is toughest , that players play too sharp or to flat or different...

Vary importanting mak Zen , is tough school. No Zen no Tough. Only Musik. Musik without Zen is easy scool. I am Horst. I am Zen Master, thus Horst Xenmeister. End of history.

i am horst

#69 2008-08-06 00:40:27

Moran from Planet X
Website

New Push-Button All-Ryu Shakuhachi
shown here with the Deluxe Push-Button Shika-no-Tone
and optional B-52 Ro toggle switch. 
(Pictured: Tozan-ryu button selected)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2736993655_16b4d1c3a2_o.jpg

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#70 2008-08-06 02:11:48

axolotl
Website

Two words: Shakuhachi Hero.

#71 2008-08-06 02:32:31

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Yes, I think I'd like one of those all ryu flutes; nice prototype, Chris.  Thanks for your reply, Perry, and for the link to the article "What is a Functional Shakuhachi"; very to the point article -- I guess a lot depends on what music one plays or wants to play as to whether one considers a shakuhachi acceptable or not.   Perhaps the question I asked you was a bit too flippant as I imagine that most makers are like you, intent on seriously testing their flutes for all the techniques they know, depending on what genre or genres or music they are playing though maybe I should be wary of saying anything like most makers are doing this or that as it is only the individual makers that I can really gather that kind of information from.  That's interesting that you have learned/are learning dokyoku pieces directly from Watazumi Do's notation.   Kiku had some very pertinent comments about learning from the bamboo and the fact that the shakuhachi has (luckily) managed to escape standardization, and also in her aside that Yokoyama Katsuya's school is a new school of shakuhachi (just as my own school, Chikudosha, is a new school of shakuhachi, though only playing traditional pieces).   At the risk of exhuming an expired minor point of contention I will mention that my shakuhachi maker Morikawa Genpu does admit to testing for dai meri and the phrase chi chi ru tsu meri, which he says is a common phrase; if he tests for those phrases then maybe all the other makers who studied under Tamai Chikuzen do the same, but then again maybe not;  I can agree with you Justin that some makers do not play Yokoyama sensei's honkyoku (on the other hand we might be surprised at the number of makers who have played Yokoyama sensei's pieces) but I think a number of them may test their shakuhachi for those particular phrases or very similar ones as they are all coming from a common legacy of Fuke playing.  I'm very thankful for Yokoyama Katsuya as he has been one of the key figures in introducing the shakuhachi to the West and I personally like his honkyoku a great deal but his style is still one among many strands of Fuke shakuhachi; I'm sure we both agree that the variety out there makes shakuhachi all the more interesting.  As to the number of shakuhachi makers in Japan I also asked Genpu his opinion on that question and he knows of about twenty who were like himself students of Tamai Chikuzen, including Kinya Sogawa, who is his senpai.  If we add Kiku's sensei, two Miuras that I know of, Tozan maker Kitahara Kozo, the makers that Perry mentioned, a professional maker I know of in Matsuyama,  maker Nishio san up in Shizuoka, and my own iemoto Fuji Jido then we're really starting to get up in numbers...

#72 2008-08-06 02:33:21

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

New Push-Button All-Ryu Shakuhachi
shown here with the Deluxe Push-Button Shika-no-Tone
and optional B-52 Ro toggle switch. 
(Pictured: Tozan-ryu button selected)
]

I like the part about "Myoan" and "Real Myoan" lol

#73 2008-08-06 07:31:03

Kerry

Chris Moran wrote:

optional B-52 Ro toggle switch.

Upgrade to 'Space Shuttle'wink

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#74 2008-08-06 08:40:22

Kiku Day
Website

Love it!
We need Shin-tozan, Zensabo, Chikuho-ryu, Ueda-ryu......
It will become a massive 5.7 at the end when we have finished adding schools! : )

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#75 2008-08-06 09:37:44

indigo

Dear everybody

Justin wrote: "insist on kan no ro dai meri being strictly at the pitch of ri, or lower even, and insist that it should be more powerful than regular ro"

I would love to hear some examples of this possibility. 

Thank you

Board footer