Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-31 08:12:10

Tim Hunt

A quest for Tea

Good Evening all.

I have not drunk hot western tea for several years now, as a week after a dental operation a hemorrhage that occurred in my mouth resulted in me having to down a large amount of my own blood pumped through a Liptons teabag. Not an experience easily forgotten, i assure you.

I really enjoy both making and drinking 'Chai Masala' [though to be honest before a wiki search i just knew it as chai], but it takes me quite a while to make, and the large quantity of milk doesn't help my playing.

For a while now i have been trying to replace my dependence on soft drinks with iced tea, and i then proceeded from iced tea to iced green tea.
Now at last i have decided to graduate from sugared up bottled stuff to real green tea, only problem is, i am having difficulty finding 'real' green tea, instead i am resorting to bags.

I live in Australia, NSW, in the blue mountains. If anyone could recommend where, or for what i should look i would be very appreciative.

Are there any brands that make very good [or authentic] tea i should look for, or are there particular places i should try.
Also any suggestions on other teas would be great, all i am after is things that are low in caffeine, and seem to go well with shakuhachi practice.

Thank you

Timmy

#2 2008-07-31 09:04:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: A quest for Tea

Hi Tim,

Coincidentally I have a tea business here in Australia, contact me off forum and I'll sort you out. smile We can mail you some.

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-07-31 11:31:07

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Hi Tim,

Coincidentally I have a tea business here in Australia, contact me off forum and I'll sort you out. smile We can mail you some.

BR

From What I could recall at our lessons, Tairaku's Green tea was pretty good.smile

Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2008-07-31 12:05:42

Lorka

Are there any teas that are low in caffene, but really wake you up and help you to focus?  I'm basically looking for a good tea to keep me going through the day, espeically during afternoon lulls.  I am trying to cut back heavily on my coffee and expresso habit.  Oh yeah, and has to work well with shakuhachi, but to be honest, I've never had a problem with coffee and shakuhachi before

Last edited by Lorka (2008-07-31 12:06:35)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#5 2008-07-31 16:15:39

JanF

Hi Tim.

There are 3 types of tea: black, green and white. All 3 come from the same bush but are treated differently.

The white tea is the best and healthiest. It has a very fine taste and is treated very little before it is sold. (not fermented, smoked
or otherwise treated).

One of the best white teas is called Pai Mu Tan.

The water for Pai Mu Tan should boil and then rest for about 10 minutes (to lower the temperature down to 80 centigrades).

Then take some leaves, just what you can have between 3 fingers, and let it go into the pot for about 5 minutes. Then you have the best tea in the world !

Use one pot only for the white tea due to its fine flavour.

If you don't have a dealer nearby you can easily have it sent from a bigger town.

Enjoy

Jan

#6 2008-07-31 17:10:53

axolotl
Website

If you want perky non-caffeine teas, rooibos and ginger teas work quite well.   I happen to love Yogi Throat Comfort tea as well, although I have no clue how available it is abroad.  Made by kindly yoginic Sikhs, of all people.

Board footer