Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-06 09:14:29

Vevolis
Website

Energy, Fatigue and Etcetera

Does anyone have a particularly good remedy for always being exhausted? I find that 6 hours of sleep seems to be my norm... I take a melatonin supplement. Where creativity and inspiration used to be a driving force in my life, I now find it's simply staying awake and finding intervals where I can go stagnate in a corner somewhere.

I've got a case of Ginseng and Royal Jelly at my desk. It doesn't seem to do a whole lot other than taste pretty awful. I seem to be focusing a lot on improving the quality of my sleep (which doesn't seem like a bad idea) including drinking Jasmine tea and I plan on finding a copy of Debbie Danbrook's Sacred Sound of Sleep. (My Shakuhachi teacher) I've also got my own meditation music but i'm too critical of it to fall asleep.

I don't exersize regularly. My Wii Fit ran out of batteries; I was too lazy to replace them everytime so I bought a rechargable battery pack. Somehow I decided that if i'm too lazy to change a set of batteries, maybe having a pair I can just plug in will inspire me to actually USE the thing.

My goal is to get up at 6:00AM every morning; Wii Fit for a half-hour then get on with my routine and get to work with a bag lunch (Come home from work, cook, clean, do music, relax and spend time with the wife... I do the majority of things it seems). So far I have get up late, get to work late and drink a coffee down pat...

#2 2008-08-06 09:51:56

mrosenlof

Re: Energy, Fatigue and Etcetera

A lot of people have regular problems sleeping well.  I do.  Search on "insomnia" and you'll find a whole bunch of information, must of it worth what you've paid for it (including this, of course).

Exercise is a good thing.  I hear some claims that exercise about three hours before bedtime may enhance sleep, closer than that to bedtime may be a problem.  Lighter, less spicy evening meals can be better for good sleep.

I've had mixed results with melatonin.  Some say stay out of bright lights for a couple of hours before bedtime.  Unclear if this means sunlight-bright or normal-living room-bright.

There's probably lots more to try, I'm drawing a blank right now.

Mike Rosenlof

#3 2008-08-06 10:02:03

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Vevolis wrote:

Does anyone have a particularly good remedy for always being exhausted? ... So far I have get up late, get to work late and drink a coffee down pat...

Hey Scott. My sister-in-law recently turned me on to a raw food diet with no meat. I recently tried it and after two days of eating only fruits, vegetables, nuts, and Tofu (I know I know), I felt 10 years younger. On the third day I craved a salami sandwich. After eating it, I needed to take a nap.

Yoga is also great for building stamina and creating a more efficient body. It will also help your shakuhachi playing, believe it or not.

I top it all off with a strong brew java!

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2008-08-06 10:12:01

edosan
Edomologist

Coupla things you might look into:

• Have your thyroid checked--it's a blood test, and there are several parameters, all of which should be tested.

• At the same time, have your free testosterone levels checked (you look a bit young for this to be an issue, but it's a possibility, and it's an easy and relatively inexpensive test.

• Look into the possibility of sleep disorders in general, and sleep apnea in particular. Googling 'sleep apnea' will put you in the picture on that one. Unfortunately, diagnosis of sleep apnea can be involved, ultimately requiring what's called a 'sleep study' (clever, what?) in which you get hooked up with about forty leads and (attempt) to sleep in a strange bed in a clinic somewhere, but some preliminary readings can be had by sending you home with an oxygen sensor for you to sleep overnight with (big fun, eh?) to see what your oxygen intake profile looks like during your sleep cycle.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2008-08-06 10:20:41

Vevolis
Website

My wife wanted me to move to a vegetarian(ish) diet. The raw food diet sounds interesting. Perry, when you say Tofu, do you mean RAW (as in completely uncooked) Tofu accompanying vegtables or is it prepared in a way that is doesn't have the texture of modelling clay? :P Is there anything I CAN cook? Eggs for instance (Hard boiled for a cold salad? Can it be warm?

I think it would be a great idea; i've booked an appointment with my doctor to check into gastrointestinal problems. I'm 24. If I eat a hotdog or have a slice of pizza, i'm up in the middle of the night with heartburn.

The thought of reduced preperation time is very attractive.

I'd imagine it would be a good diet for the weekdays... have a cooked meal or two during the weekends. I'm told that keeping your body "aware" of fatty cheap terrible foods from time to time is important incase one day the good stuff becomes unavailable for whatever reason.

#6 2008-08-06 11:31:15

edosan
Edomologist

Vevolis wrote:

Perry, when you say Tofu, do you mean RAW (as in completely uncooked) Tofu accompanying vegtables or is it prepared in a way that is doesn't have the texture of modelling clay? tongue Is there anything I CAN cook? Eggs for instance (Hard boiled for a cold salad? Can it be warm?

Heavy soya intake is under debate these days. Worth a read:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Organic/soyaisbad.cfm

Note particularly the manner and amount of consumption by Japanese.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#7 2008-08-06 12:03:01

Vevolis
Website

edosan wrote:

Vevolis wrote:

Perry, when you say Tofu, do you mean RAW (as in completely uncooked) Tofu accompanying vegtables or is it prepared in a way that is doesn't have the texture of modelling clay? tongue Is there anything I CAN cook? Eggs for instance (Hard boiled for a cold salad? Can it be warm?

I read down the page and saw what Westerners are traditionally eating on a vegetarian diet. I can't handle (ANY) alternative "meats" such as Soy Protein, Textured Vegtable Protein or etc. I find it wholly disgusting and I don't know why. If you're going to give me a "Veggie Burger", it had better be comprised of actual solid vegtables, etc... i'd never touch an artificial meat soy burger. I'd rather a hot dog comprised of racoon and assorted carpet samples. If I were to eat Tofu, it would be firm block Tofu independent of other foods or the main component of the dish.

I won't drink Soy Milk or Rice Milk. It's just... not milk. smile I DO however enjoy Soy Sauce. I think i've got mastered one of the best Fried Rice dishes going; drowining in Kikoman. smile

With anything, it's about balance. If i'm not getting enough protein, i'll have the occasional steak. If i'm longing for a cooked meal, i'll cook something. It does sound like a healthier direction...

#8 2008-08-06 12:05:31

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Vevolis wrote:

Thanks for the heads up Edosan. Scott, I would certainly read up more if you seriously plan on radically altering your diet. If you want to read up on raw foods, the book my sister-in-law had was RAW: the Uncook Book by Juliano Brotman

My tofu comes from the local produce stand, "home made" or at least made in the back of the shop. I would say that for those few raw days, Tofu amounted to about 15 percent of my diet. It was raw. You can find Tofu commercially in at least three grades - silk, soft/medium, and firm.  You'll need to experiment to find the consistency you like. Silk is great as a side dish with just a bit of Soy sauce and scallions. There is a way to cook it to give it a more meat-like texture. Cut into 1" squares and brown each side on a non stick pan with a little cold pressed oil. Be careful to not break up the tofu. It's great on a salad.

I once had the pleasure of dining with the nutritionist of the White House when Clinton was in office. We shared a table at a Vietnamese restaurant in Chinatown, NYC. I said "What are you doing here?" I thought eating at a restaurant would be the last thing some one with his background would want to do. He said the best thing for a healthy body is a little bit of everything and not a whole lot of one thing. Simple as that. (Bill looked pretty healthy didn't he?)

Happy eating! Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#9 2008-08-06 12:30:35

axolotl
Website

Six hours of sleep is probably not enough.  7 or 8 would be better.  The Wii Fit will help immensely; exercise and stretching are key to health.  Regular, vigorous exercise will also help you go to sleep more easily.

You don't have to go vegetarian, but eliminating extra sweets and processed foods is a good start.  May I suggest tempeh as a good alternative to tofu?  Not that tofu is bad.  Tempeh is fermented soybeans pressed into a brick.  It's nutty tasting and good for the fryin'.  I am a vegetarian, but I know it's not for everyone. 

You can also make your own seitan from wheat gluten--one afternoon will make you enough for weeks of good protein.  Unless you're gluten intolerant. 

the world o' beans and legumes is a wonderful one.  Fava beans, for instance.  You don't just have to eat them with a lawyer's liver and a nice Chianti.  I stuck 'em with potatoes and tomatoes and some liquid (soy milk, actually, but you can use water, coconut milk, whatever) and made a lovely masala stew. 

Oh, and I would ditch the coffee.

#10 2008-08-06 12:55:59

jdanza
Website

Excellent point, Perry. I'm 52 and when people try to guess my age they never go over forty. I jokingly teach my "method" to my students as DEA, which does not stand for Drug Enforcement Agency although the thought applies smile. It stands for Diet, Exercise and Attitude. It's not about any kind of fundamentalism but curiosity, research and awareness.
  I have been vegetarian for more than thirty years and I don't find much need for Tofu. I did start eating fish when I lived in Japan and it's still a small but important part of my diet. I bought a Vitamix blender and throw a bunch of fruit, nuts and greens into it in the morning. It's fabulous and super nutritious. I also go the extra expense to eat mostly organic.
I am afraid that Exercise is fundamental, Scott. As both a Flute and Percussion player I consider it a fundamental part of my honoring the instrument to minimize or eliminate technical and physical limitations. Being fit is not optional and it will make you a much happier and healthier human being. Don't let it depend on batteries!
That said, I have to admit that I was a lot less aware and serious about it when I was your age... but then again, I think your sleep and tiredness problems are a wake up call from your body and you'd be wise to heed the call.
  The solutions are always simple. The difficulty is the commitment. We are funny that way... most of us take much better care of our car than our own body.
  Have you tried meditation?. It may not only help to calm your mind before bed but it may also bring many layers of deeper understanding about yourself and your needs.
Also "spend time with the wife" sounded a little cold?. The quality of your relationship is basic to your well being, and good regular sex also goes a long way to keep us positive and healthy. Give a lot of love, get a lot of love... and get laid smile
  Best wishes

#11 2008-08-06 13:01:02

ima_hima

Taking myself as an example, I can't have any caffeine after about noon or 1 p.m., otherwise it impacts my sleep. This is the case with other uppers, as well (e.g. ginseng). I've also found that exercise late at night is a bad idea (that's probably not a problem for you ;-) ), and that while drinking a beer before I retire for the night might help me fall asleep, it leaves me feeling less rested in the morning.

I've also read that the biggest meal of the day should be breakfast or lunch, and that dinner should be the smallest, which I suppose makes sense, and might help your acid reflux problem, as well.

As for exercise, I think if you're not gung-ho for it, the best way to get some is to work it in to your routine, and I'm not talking about a sideline like Wii Fit. I mean commuting to work on your bike or feet, or doing something else which *forces* you to move about (hook your toaster to the stationary bike? do walking meditation during shakuhachi practice? throw out your TV?). Primates in general (and myself included) will always lay about given the chance, so attempting an exercise regimen which is too easy to ignore or subvert will often fail.

The good new is, once you're in better shape, your body will cry out for exercise when it doesn't get any, and you'll start to enjoy it more, so it'll get much easier not to subvert your good intentions.

#12 2008-08-06 13:55:35

radi0gnome
Website

Vevolis wrote:

Does anyone have a particularly good remedy for always being exhausted? I find that 6 hours of sleep seems to be my norm...

I agree with the previous response that 6 hours seems a bit on the low side, if you want to get up at 6:00 like you say you'll be going to bed at 12:00 midnight, getting up at 6:00, avoiding any napping and going strong until 12:00 midnight and repeating that at least 5 days a week. I'm sure that there are some that can do that, but I'm certainly not one of them. The diet suggestions are good too, although I'm personally a bit wary of the vegetarianism thing because if it's not done right it can do more harm than good. Also going to a doctor because you get heartburn after eating pizza seems to be a bit like going to a doctor for headaches because you bang your head against the wall. I don't think I've ever read anywhere that pizza is health food. However, at 5' 11'' and 200 pounds I'm probably not the person to take diet advice from.
  The real reason I'm responding is that you seem to have a tendency of looking for things outside of you to help with your lack of energy. You already mentioned coffee, ginseng, Jasmine tea, a Wii fit, and meditation CD's in just your first post. What you didn't mention is your stress levels, they can be a real energy drainer. How to deal with stress? Of course since this is the shakuhachi forum yoga and meditation would probably be the first choices to look at, some deep introspection and maybe even therapy could help, and in these days of $4.00 gasoline maybe somebody to help with your finances (either a financial planner or someone that can help you get more money like a better employer) could relieve a lot of stress, but something clicked with me when you mentioned your own meditation CD's and your being critical of them. It's not a bad thing for anyone to listen to or create meditative music, but when you mention that you're 24 I've got to think that you need to release some of that first chakra stuff with some Me Talk Pretty or White Stripe or whoever is high energy these days. Maybe not right before bedtime, but try getting a healthy dose sometime during the day, like maybe the drive or walk (everybody under 30 has an Ipod these days, right?) home from work. It works kind of like method acting, if you want to act sad, go around the day before getting angry at everything, your sure to tap into that sadness the next day. In the same manner if you listen to high angst kind of music for a while, the serenity will follow naturally. Also, since the Wii fit doesn't sound like its novelty is all that inspiring for you, maybe try some African dance or capeiro or something, if Vancouver (if I'm remembering correctly that's where you said you're from) is anything like around here many yoga studios open up their space for those kind of classes. The combination of music and exercise could go a long way to balancing your chakras and releiving stress.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#13 2008-08-06 14:05:13

Seth

Vevolis-

This list is more for me than you.  Thanks for the question.

If I was going to list all the things I do or did that was good for me it would read:

meditate once a day
sleep at least seven hours a day
exercise heart 5 times a week at 30 min a pop
dont eat any processed flour or sugar
never over eat

In health it is always better to invest in prevention over treatment.   

Prevention is fun (and cheap).  Treatment is tragedy )and expensive.

Luckily you sound like you can still focus on prevention.

#14 2008-08-06 19:34:20

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Vevolis,

You should take any of this advice with a big grain of salt because we are not doctors and you are an individual.

The symptoms you describe could be a gluten intolerance (celiac disease). It's an epidemic in the western world. I have a young friend who stopped eating wheat products and got rid of it.

Be careful with ginseng, there are different kinds which are prescribed for different reasons and for different physical types. You should not take it without consulting a Chinese doctor unless you know which kind is right for you. In my case it's white Wisconsin ginseng.

As far as diet is concerned some of the least healthy people I've met are vegetarians so that's not necessarily the answer. Dalai Lama himself started eating meat for health reasons. I have more energy at 48 than at 24 and one of my changes is that I was a vegetarian back then.

Chinese traditional medicine is good for dealing with balancing and restoring energy, you're in Canada with a strong Chinese community, go for it.

Ciao,

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#15 2008-08-06 20:22:50

Seth

Tairaku wrote:

As far as diet is concerned some of the least healthy people I've met are vegetarians so that's not necessarily the answer. Dalai Lama himself started eating meat for health reasons. I have more energy at 48 than at 24 and one of my changes is that I was a vegetarian back then.

I've been a vegetarian for several years now.  I am very happy I'm a veg and hope to stay that way - but I must admit that I felt stronger when I was eating meat.  I also seem to be slowly gaining weight in a way I did not experience while eating meat.  Sigh.  I probably just need to invest more time in managing my diet...  But, in short, yeah.  Vegetarianism can produce mixed results.

#16 2008-08-06 20:50:29

Kerry

An interesting read, 'The World Peace Diet', by Will Tuttle. You can download it for free at www.worldpeacediet.org

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#17 2008-08-06 21:13:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hey Vevolis, using a bike as transportation is a good way of getting exercise into your daily life. Would it be feasible to ride to work, school, lessons, etc.?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/boobikesmiling.jpg

#18 2008-08-07 08:14:50

Vevolis
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Hey Vevolis, using a bike as transportation is a good way of getting exercise into your daily life. Would it be feasible to ride to work, school, lessons, etc.?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 … miling.jpg

Toronto isn't a very good place to own a bike right now. It would either get stolen (There's a huge deposit of over 2000 stolen bikes with the Metro Toronto Police right now from a ring of theft) or I’d get wedged in a streetcar track (which I see daily). I promised myself I’d never ride a bike here... the police call riding on the sidewalk "reckless driving" and they will charge you as well. So you're basically forced onto a *usually* unsafe road. I do a lot of walking... in fact I walk about twice as fast as the regular person... (Maybe I’ll go in for a stress test as well smile

I guess it all boils down to doing more if not all of the things we are supposed to be doing at any given moment, being disciplined and keeping an eye out for minor shifts in diet, exercise and psychological regimes that work for an individual. So ultimately, I have to be doing everything I’m not currently doing.

I got about 5 hours of sleep last night, mostly because I flooded the kitchen. *sigh*

#19 2008-08-07 09:28:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Dude, last time I was in Toronto (Oct. '07) I rented a bike and rode all over the place. No problems! There are even bike lanes on many of the major streets. Get a fixie and a good lock and you won't have to worry at all. Get with the program, you're making excuses for yourself!

#20 2008-08-07 12:19:08

rpowers

Tairaku wrote:

Get a fixie and a good lock and you won't have to worry at all.

Translation time:

Fixie: the cycling equivalent of jinashi.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#21 2008-08-07 13:10:49

ima_hima

Seth wrote:

but I must admit that I felt stronger when I was eating meat.  I also seem to be slowly gaining weight in a way I did not experience while eating meat.  Sigh.  I probably just need to invest more time in managing my diet...  But, in short, yeah.  Vegetarianism can produce mixed results.

Hey Seth,

Long time, no see (at least off-forum).

You're also *older* now than you were before. Don't discount aging in any argument about weight gain for those of us approaching middle age. Of course, I'm also a (long-term) vegetarian, so I'm biased for... that said, I think the healthiest diet, based on my reading of mainstream science, is meat (probably fish) once or twice a week, and the rest being fruits, green veggies and nuts.

Btw, I second mentions of causal stress above, and restate my suspicion that late-in-the-day caffeine consumption is probably part of the problem.

Also, Vevolis: long-term sleep deprivation has been linked with a whole slew of health problems, including weight gain and (more sudden and fatal) car wrecks, so it's best to get any problems sorted.

Finally, tempeh and fixies: YUCK!!

Eric

#22 2008-08-07 13:42:14

edosan
Edomologist

rpowers wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Get a fixie and a good lock and you won't have to worry at all.

Translation time:

Fixie: the cycling equivalent of jinashi.

Please note: The jinashi police will be arriving chez Powers with a warrant in the morning...

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#23 2008-08-07 15:01:18

lowonthetotem
Website

I am not a Doctor, but I've played one on the radio.  Just kidding.  I actually have some training as a trainer and have worked with nutritionists in the past, absorbing some of their knowledge.  As far as the veggie thing goes, it really depends on the individual.  Some folks require lots of high quality protein (usually younger growing people and women).  The issues with soy are largely due to genetically engineered soy, and people who eat organic soy usually don't have problems.  Personally, I take the stand point of limiting meat as much as I can, while enjoying dairy and eggs.  A couple servings of meat each week should be enough for nearly anyone.  I don't refrain from eating meat if it ends up on the plate in front of me, but I seldom choose it.  Eating high fiber foods and foods that digest quickly (red meat is very slow to digest) raises the metabolism and helps to raise energy levels.  If you are worried about soy, consider spirilina protein.  Oddly enough, aside from an initial couple of cups of coffee in the early morning to get things going, consuming lots of caffein or even other energy potions usually have a net effect of sapping one's energy.  I'd limit the sugar as much as possible too.  Going raw is fairly drastic, but it can be very beneficial.  Still, there are probably some more minor tweaks you can make to your diet first to get started.  Making any wholesale drastic changes to what you eat may actually decrease your energy level.  Slowly removing the worse foods and slowly incorporating the better foods is more prudent and is likely a little easier to live with in the long run.

As stated above, exercise is key, but I'd let the Wii stay unplugged and get outside a little.  Take a walk, jog, or bike ride.  Get some sun on your face.  Sun helps you produce vitamin D, which is a catalyst for many energy reactions in your body.  Even with a shirt on (and pants smile), fifteen or twenty minutes of sun a day is good for most people.  I don't mean to assume anything but go ahead and give it to the wife a few times a week.  This will pump the testosterone that Ed mentioned.  Doing some weight lifting exercises with the legs, like squats, helps that too.

As far as sleep goes, try to wake up and go to bed at the same time EVERY DAY!  Even on weekends, don't deviate by more than an hour or so.  Some folks do well on six hours, some folks need a little more.  I bet if you increase you aerobic output through some cardiovascular exercise, you may find that you sleep better and for longer.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#24 2008-08-07 15:32:52

lowonthetotem
Website

Just an after thought.

You know, we often eat more than we need.  I've found that eating less actually increases my energy (to a point of course there is no need to starve yourself).  The metabolism works more efficiently, and I don't get that crash after meals.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#25 2008-08-07 15:37:07

Seth

OK health gurus, here is a follow up question.

Whenever I do cardio workouts on a regular basis I feel about 1000% percent better about my health and about the world.  Really.

But cario exercise is SOOOO boring it is really hard for me to do it consistently.

I used to live on a beach and would run on the beach every night and then go swimming.. (ah! what a wonderful time in my life!) But now I live in drab suburbia with too many cars and too cold of a winter to make running a pleasure.

Any tips and ideas on making cardio exercise a part of one's regular life when living in small quarters?

And I only want to hear from people who actually have accomplished the above!  I'm not interested in theory, only results.

Board footer