Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-06 13:19:32

Lorka

What's the flavor of your school?

I've been reading alot of posts recently about defining core aspects of their school in relation to the design of flutes.  This got me wondering if anyone would like to try giving a solid type of definition for each school.  A nice summary that perhaps elaborates not only key features, but key points of departure from other schools.  What makes each school special, as an expression of shakuhachi?  What's the flavor? 

For example, I have heard people describing kinko as refined, ornamented, etc.  While Tozan is more "modern" and musical in the western sense (whatever that means), etc.   I ask because I don't know all that much myself, and other shaku-newbies might also benefit.  Having each school, and its style of expression, mentioned might be nice for people who are curious.  Just an idea.  Apologies if this duplicates a post from the past.

Last edited by Lorka (2008-08-06 13:21:16)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2008-08-06 18:07:27

JanF

Re: What's the flavor of your school?

Yes Lorka. Being another newbie I would like that too ! A very good idea.

#3 2008-08-06 18:28:14

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Lorka wrote:

Having each school, and its style of expression, mentioned might be nice for people who are curious.

Matt and Jan,

If you haven't checked it out already, there is some information about various schools at Komuso.com.

http://www.komuso.com/schools/

There are some descriptions along with repertoire.

#4 2008-08-06 19:20:50

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Maybe a "volunteer" could put together a myspace page with songs from the various schools for benefit of our clientele. cool

Not me.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2008-08-06 20:20:50

shaman141
Website

I was gonna volunteer, but on second thought maybe I won't. This is an insane amount of work!

Last edited by shaman141 (2008-08-06 20:40:46)

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#6 2008-08-06 21:01:55

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

shaman141 wrote:

I was gonna volunteer, but on second thought maybe I won't. This is an insane amount of work!

No it's not. You just have to sign up, upload some songs and pics and there you have it. Probably takes 2 hours. Compare that with the 14 hours a day Mujitsu donates to keep everything running here, oh the humanity....lol

#7 2008-08-06 21:11:42

shaman141
Website

Good point:) The only thing is that I don't have recordings from EVERY school. Don't wanna leave any school out.

#8 2008-08-09 16:59:46

Dun Romin

cool It would be very nice indeed to have everything registered, and a big help when you start studying a certain piece, but it seems to me an impossible hughe project. But already just a list of what songs belong to what (main)school would be nice I think. In an old study of Ingrid Fritsch, about the tozan-ryu I found a nice list of pieces belonging to the tozan school. I trust there wil be more of such smal list, and a lot of smal ones tend make a big one. The recordings can slowly follow. Perfection has to grow, that's part of it's fun. So why try to have a perfect thing at once? Beside, if some feels there is a school left out, he can step forward and fill the gap, cann't he?
smile It might also be a possibillity to make a deal with komuso.com so that they put the schools names behind the pieces/composer/players they have already listed there.
Shaman, for the benefit of us all, I recomend, smile please make yourself immortal.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#9 2008-08-09 17:17:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

On a myspace page you can only place 5 or 6 songs. So the thing to do would be to put up some songs and then rotate them. Then you identify the schools such as "Choshi" (Myoan Taizan Ha) or whatever. By changing songs frequently you guarantee people come back to listen frequently.

It is NOT an "insane amount of work".

#10 2008-08-09 23:17:12

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi guys
Sounds like a great idea. Is there no copyright issue though? Is it not illegal to put recordings up without the record labels' permission?

#11 2008-08-10 01:20:34

shaman141
Website

I will take on the task of putting together the Myspace page as it is clearly not impossible.

Sean

#12 2008-08-10 08:32:11

Kerry

Justin wrote:

Hi guys
Sounds like a great idea. Is there no copyright issue though? Is it not illegal to put recordings up without the record labels' permission?

I discussed this issue with a reference librarian who is a computer/internet hyper-geek concerning podcasting for Radio Free Nashville/Samurai Songs. She said it is a whole new set of copyright limitations, but just about everyone gets away with it. Any other info on this would be great! -kerry

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#13 2008-08-10 12:24:58

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

shaman141 wrote:

I will take on the task of putting together the Myspace page as it is clearly not impossible.

Sean

Good work Sean!

In a addition to the five or six songs you can upload on myspace, it's also possible to insert links to any number of songs in your profile. You just need to upload them to your own web space first.

Good luck!

Ken

#14 2008-08-10 20:04:06

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Sean,
Tom Deaver has a good list of pieces pertaining to some kinko branches and tozan here:
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~shaku100/wrtmus.html

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#15 2008-08-12 07:52:43

Dun Romin

Jeff, that's an awsome list of pieces Tom Deaver put there. Would it be possible to make a playing level classification, so one can see which are playable with the technique/understanding he or she has? I can imagine that adding the name of the composer, on which shakuhachi-type/lenght it's played and maybe the range help a little bit, but it really triggers me how you can classify shakuhachimusic with al its special techniques an effects.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#16 2008-08-12 08:15:50

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Sean, I couldn't possibly classify all of the pieces, but I could get you through classification of the pieces promoted by the Chikuyusha (Kawase Junsuke III).  I can also get you the names of composers where they are known, however komuso.com could probably help you out there.
cheers

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#17 2008-08-12 10:54:13

shaman141
Website

Thanks guys! You're help will definitely be appreciated! Gonna start on this soon.

Board footer