Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-10 01:32:27

naadbrahma

FS: Tungso, and shakuhachi-Tungso Hybrid

Wasn't sure if I could post this in the Buy/Sell forum so i'll post it here. I have two flutes I would like to sell, one is a shakuhachi-tungso hybrid, developed by yours truly, and the other is a sanjo style tungso by Kim Yong Nam. The shakuhachi-tungso is the equvilent of a 1.9 shakuhachi and fingers the same way. It has a really good range, and a nice reedy sound to it. Underneith the metal plate (chongeum), it features the buzzing membrane (chong) which is what gives many Korean flutes their distinctive sound. The next flute is a sanjo style tungso made by master Kim Yong Nam, he also made some of the daegeum in the photo below. The tungso sounds fantastic and does not have lacquer in the bore yet, the traditional way is to break in a flute and put the lacquer in later(thought it isn't necessary), I think most any shakuhachi maker in the states could do this if necessary. For this flute I would recommend leaving it natural, it has a very mellow sound that I enjoy very much. The shakuhachi-tungso is the fifth instrument down in the photo, and the tungso is the sixth down. I'd like to get $800 for the shakuhachi-tungso, and $1,000 for the tungso, which is very reasonable considering the quality. If you are interested shoot me an email at naadbrahma(@)gmail.com   I would not part with these flutes, but alas I lust for another jeongak daegeum and need to start saving up as decent ones nowadays will set you back at least 3k.
  The daegeum and danso in the photo are not for sale but I thought I would just include them as eye candy. I've been studying daegeum, sogeum, danso, and tungso for a few years now and in the process i've gotten my hands on some really nice instruments. If anyone wanted to start a thread in regards to any of these flutes i'd be glad pitch in my 2 cents. It appears that here in the states there is not much interest, and not a lot of info about these wonderful flutes, and the music they play.

http://www.vintage-india.com/daegeum_1.jpg

Board footer