Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-08-24 22:00:00

Kerry

The Ferocious Note - Keith Jarrett, on Miles Davis

Came across this cleaning out my desk. Forgot I had it.
"Someone could say, 'Oh, anyone can play like Miles.' He has a trumpet sound that is almost like a student has when a student is learning trumpet. You get that same sound, almost, for a while, and then you get more brassy, and then you play more and more and you lose this 'innocent' sound that Miles has. So the whole world can say, 'Anybody can get that sound,' but nobody can get it [laughs]. And the reason Miles gets that sound and no one else gets it is because Miles wants that sound more than they do; he wants that sound. He wants it with this ferociousness, so he gets it. I don't know what other word to use...ferocious is just...I can't think of a better word, either - it's not enough to say Miles wants the sound because everybody can say they want things, but Miles wants it with all his energy. The ferociousness can't be egotistical, that's why I used that word. An animal doesn't have an ego like we do and animals can be ferocious. They need to eat; they are ferocious. They don't let anything get in their way. But they are not doing it for an ego, they're doing it to survive or for something to survive - maybe their kids, their little baby lions. I'm trying to get out of this thing where_want_means something like_desire_. I don't mean desire. Ferociousness is too fast for desire. Desire is "I think I want, oh, I'd love to do this, or I'd love to do this, or...," but it's not what I'm talking about. The kind of want that would make me play the note I hear isn't ego. That's no ego, that's a sort of harmonizing with reality in a powerful way. Miles can play soft and it's powerful; other trumpet players play soft and it's weak. There is a ferociousness even in the soft note. But it's not anger or ego, it's the whole note: "I want this note. Not for me but for the air." The thing that makes it ferocious is what happens before he plays the note. He has to be ready for the note, for his own note, not somebody else's note. Not the note on the paper, not the note somewhere in the air above him but_his_note, he has to be ready for this. That's very difficult....... Keith Jarrett, on Miles Davis
Man, that was a trip to type wink

Last edited by Kerry (2008-08-24 23:39:42)

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#2 2008-08-24 22:18:37

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: The Ferocious Note - Keith Jarrett, on Miles Davis

awesome

#3 2008-08-24 22:33:23

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

I can't remember the exact words but Picasso visited a children's museum once and said something like, “When I was the age of these children I could draw like Raphael: it took me many years to learn how to draw like these children.”

As an actor, I fear sharing a stage with a child. Kids on stage are natural magnets for attentions, no one cares about the adults.  My kids remind me of this everyday. We walk down the street in Manhattan and they get all the attention, no one ever notices me:)

Peace, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2008-08-25 00:24:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

I fear sharing a stage with a child. Kids on stage are natural magnets for attentions, no one cares about the adults.  My kids remind me of this everyday. We walk down the street in Manhattan and they get all the attention, no one ever notices me:)

They recently had a TV show here in Australia where they did an experiment. They took a little kid with a few Suzuki violin lessons under his belt and Rob Hirst from Midnight Oil and put them on the street to busk. The kid made about ten times as much money as Rob. lol

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer