Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-02 14:11:03

Benjamin
Website

Belated Introduction

I'm sorry for not doing this previously, I guess I just never really thought to take the time. 

My name is Benjamin Sunderlin and I live in Indianapolis, Indiana.  I am a student at the Herron School of Art majoring in Sculpture with a minor in Philosophy.  I started my college path out at the Kansas City Art Institute, but decided to leave for health reasons. 

I grew up in Lafayette Indiana and went to Jefferson High School where I mostly took art classes.  I also pursued interests in Japanese, Mandarin, and the Russian language.  I fenced for my schools fencing team, and took kendo at Purdue University at the time.  It was inevitable with the interest in the japanese culture that I finally heard the shakuhachi.  My first recorded exposure was Kohachiro Miyata's cd. And fell in love with Shika no Tone.  I have expanded my collection of recorded pieces much more in the recent; but one of my all time favorites is Clive Bell's Komoro Bushi. 

In an attempt to learn everything I could about shakuhachi, I started reading, studying, and listening all the while going to high school.  I wanted a flute so badly, but with my limited budget I could not purchase one.  This is when I decided to try my hand at making.  I mainly stuck with hocchiku with bamboo provided from franks. 

Now I aspire to be a professional maker and all the while playing to satisfy my goals. It has been an enjoyable life ever since I started down this path.  Being even a small part of this community is a special honor and I am profoundly appreciative for all of you who take the time to inform, guide, and nurture all of us who dream.

Endless Blessings,

Ben

Coming, all is clear, no doubt about it.  Going, all is clear, without a doubt.
What then is all? -Hosshin

#2 2008-09-03 07:41:47

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: Belated Introduction

Hi Ben.  Thanks for sharing your information.  Japanese, Mandarin, and Russian as well as fencing and kendo...wow; my language skills are still rather limited even after years in Japan.  I used to practice iaido and am now attempting to learn jodo, both under the auspices of Kendo Remmai, the All Japan Kendo Federation.  Last weekend I participated in a matsuri on the mountain in Kyushu where the founder of jojitsu supposedly had his vision which led him to design the jo (which according to legend he used to defeat Miyamoto Musashi); I also had the privelage of playing Shika No Tone to an audience of captive deer; I don't know if my version was up to their standards or not but it was nice playing the piece up on the mountain.  It sounds like you are well on your way along the shakuhachi path.  Good luck with your journey.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-09-03 08:34:31)

#3 2008-09-03 08:53:30

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Belated Introduction

Hi Ben, Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see some photos of your flutes. smile

All the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer