Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-03 08:10:58

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

New York shakuhachi get-together 28th Oct?

I am going to Connecticut for the annual SEM conference this year at Wesleyan University 25-28th October. The conference will be finished around noon on Tuesday 28th, and I will make my way to NYC thereafter. I would absolutely love to meet up with good old, new and until then unknown shakuhachi friends in NYC.

Seen from my point of view - there are too many nice shakuhachi New Yorkers not to miss out on!

I hope it will be possible to meet up on the 28th, as I will be flying back to London next morning.
Does anybody have a good suggestion where we could meet? Is there a place where we could meet up, order some sushi and blow on all our horns? smile

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-09-03 10:16:35)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2008-09-03 09:27:36

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: New York shakuhachi get-together 28th Oct?

Great! I think I'm free on the evening of the 28th. I know lots of sushi places but none I can think of that may allow us to play. Let's look into it. Any one else?
See you then! Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-09-06 23:22:30

LithoSphere
Website

Sorry I won't be in NYC this fall, but there is a great little place called Decibel in a basement on E. 9th street off 3rd ave.....best sake selection in NYC and the owners/staff where always very cool when I lived nearby...... I bet they would love a little fluting
Enjoy :-)

Fear is the cheapest room in the house; I would like to see you in better living conditions.(Jalaluddin Rumi)

#4 2008-09-07 06:39:21

Jason Castner

man, I wish I could be there. 

Kiku is awesome though I never met her and Perry is magnificent

north south east and rest of my life...I'm single but the Tao is my wife?

#5 2008-09-07 11:22:19

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Thanks for the comment, Jason.
I know decibel - yes their sake selection is FANTASTIC !
Perry, quite a few have emailed me that they will be coming, but no-one has come up with a good place. Anywhere would be good as long as we can all fit and it is a nice place. As far as I remember decibel is very small.... or did they have quite a few rooms?

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2008-09-07 19:50:54

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Thanks for the comment, Jason.
I know decibel - yes their sake selection is FANTASTIC !
Perry, quite a few have emailed me that they will be coming, but no-one has come up with a good place. Anywhere would be good as long as we can all fit and it is a nice place. As far as I remember decibel is very small.... or did they have quite a few rooms?

Hey Kiku, Can you get a head count? All the places I know are small, or we can reserve a party room. As an option, we could even meet at a studio space where we can make noise (or vibrations) and order sushi delivery. BYOB?

- Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#7 2008-09-07 23:53:21

Jason Castner

DAMN IT, I must move to the city soon because even though country living is where its at, city life is where the people are at. 

Let me know if anyone wants to gather in upstate NY for fun and shakuhachi playing experiences.  I have been teaching a couple people how to play so including me there would be at least three of us.  lol.  Did I mention I live on a grape farm and it is grape season...over 15 different varieties of yummness. 

I would be willing to drive to Ithaca, Rochester, and anywhere in between.  Sorry NY city is just too far and big for me. 

Any teachers in upstate I can pay maybe 20 bucks for a lesson...60 is way to much when I would be spending about 30 or more on gas alone.  I know this is the wrong section to post this... but I'm not a very exact person as I rely more on intuition and creativity to get by...sorry if it annoys you.

north south east and rest of my life...I'm single but the Tao is my wife?

Board footer