World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-09-05 16:50:16

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Re: Self-consciousness and its taxing effect on playing

Yes, I correct myself in saying these things are not relevant.  Everything IS relevant until it's worked out individually within oneself both physically and psychologically. This means having many experiences. Whether it concerns eating, dressing, checking the lighting or the acoustics, how close the seats are to the stage, who does the announcing, what they say, who makes the programs, who choses the program, etc. etc. The more control one has over creating your own state/condition and also over the stage conditions helps with being more comfortable on stage. As one has more and more experience you will find the answers to the challenges presented for playing on stage.

My comments about eating, etc. were not specific in that I'm taking it for granted that one knows how much to eat or not and how soon before a performance to eat or not. This comes with experience and yes, that's naturally how it gets worked out. Individually. I try to do nothing different than I do at home before playing. I've never heard of anybody being able to play without discomfort if they eat too much. It's just common sense that says that one shouldn't be stuffing oneself before playing (or actually anytime). However, if it's been hours since the last meal then one might not have the energy one needs. The same with not drinking too much water for the obvious reasons. I personally eat a little 2 to 3 hours before playing and then go back and warm up some more (if possible), then get dressed and go on. It also depends on what there is to eat. I don't like anything that's too spicy as it will make one thirsty, curry dries me out, nor greasy foods, nor milk as one has to be aware of the throat condition, etc. etc. Everyone needs to find out what works for themselves.

If you have time you should go onto the stage where you're going to play a few hours ahead of time and check out the acoustics. Every place is different. And even spots on the stage make the sound different in your ears. Different length of flute will be different. Some stages are good for short flutes and some better for longer flutes. The process of checking this out will give you more confidence and keep any surprises to a minimum when you go to do your concert. It also tends to make the place more "friendly" for you and less strange

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#27 2008-09-06 00:05:59

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

ima_hima wrote:

I'm not a pro, but I have to second this. The honkyoku especially has no meter, no melody and no harmony. When I play in public (which does make me nervous) I try very hard to remember that even if I play the piece wrong, or make some wacky sound, or even play with no sound, the audience has no idea I've messed up!

People have mentioned about keeping going when making mistakes. I would like to add another point. Eric, you mention above "wacky sounds". Sometimes when we perform a piece, we get a note wrong, or a phrase wrong - I mean play the wrong notes. But sometimes we play the right note and the wrong sound comes out. For example, a strange harmonic comes out. Or sometimes no sound at all. That can be quite off-putting (to us as a performer). We might try the note again, struggle, or even, when it should be a long beautiful note, but silence comes out, then we skip to the next note.

I recommend actually to play the silence as if it is the note. Don't break the timing (unless it can be broken in a sincerely musical way). In this case, actually your INTENTION may be more important than the sound itself. As you have said above, the audience may not notice when you mess up, in terms of musical mistakes. BUT, I think the main thing which CAN be noticed is if your INTENTION is messed up. So, I really recommend that above all, you keep your intention focused, at all times. Then even if the shakuhachi stops working, your intention will still be carrying the music to them.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-06 00:07:23)

#28 2008-09-06 02:47:21

YuccaBruce
Website

The "self consciousness" is your self, or ourselves & has  everything to do with "our" self created
existential  mess. We make a problem out of the joy. Get nervous over beauty. Caring over what others think is expecting something. All skill is meaningless when an angel pisses in your flintlock.

#29 2008-09-06 10:33:39

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Justin, you are wise beyond your years. My older friend in Japan (born in the late 1890s) talked about this once. She said that there was a difference in the way people used to listen to music in that they listened to the intention of the performer. She was put off by how critical everyone has become expecting perfection like what comes out of a studio and not understanding that you are experiencing the whole HUMAN being when they are on stage. The intention is the heart and mind of the performer and as long as that focus of intention is unbroken then the audience has a continuity of experience.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#30 2008-09-06 11:20:31

Jim Thompson

chikuzen wrote:

Justin, you are wise beyond your years. My older friend in Japan (born in the late 1890s) talked about this once. She said that there was a difference in the way people used to listen to music in that they listened to the intention of the performer. She was put off by how critical everyone has become expecting perfection like what comes out of a studio and not understanding that you are experiencing the whole HUMAN being when they are on stage. The intention is the heart and mind of the performer and as long as that focus of intention is unbroken then the audience has a continuity of experience.

Your post reminds of my favorite Saul Bellow quote-   "Don't molest me with the facts."

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#31 2008-09-06 13:44:26

lowonthetotem
Website

Chikuzen:
It's just common sense that says that one shouldn't be stuffing oneself before playing (or actually anytime).

I agree.  I have a bad habit of eating too much sometimes, but I really have a bad habit of eating too quickly and not chewing enough all the time.  This results in some gasey burps which tend to brings things to a momentary halt, with regard to playing.  The farts don't help too much either.

Unless you think they are a "sincerely musical way to break the timing" or the silence.  smile

Just kidding.  I've been learning about the intention of actions just by volunteering.  It kind of sucks to get up early on a saturday morning (especially post boiler maker saturday mornings) and head out to scrub dishes, take out trash, and cut up vegetables.  At first you do it out of a sense of obligation, mumbling, "What did I get myself into?"  But eventually you have to get in touch with a deeper sense of that which motivated you originally if you are going to keep at it.  Then scraping dried eggs off plates and cleaning up pork chop puree is not only bearable, but enjoyable, for lack of a better word.

to my 'horror'--  that the "private" lessons were being given in the spot-lighted center of this large room with  lots of people sitting on the sidelines watching the "private" lessons.

Oh Snap!  Having all your notes blow away doesn't sound fun either.  I think I'm sticking to memorized stuff.  My improvistional skills are summed up by long tones.  It will be somewhat of an improvisation just to remain calm, or at least contained.

YuccaB said:
All skill is meaningless when an angel pisses in your flintlock.

Or a radish fills the air column with methane.

Chikuzen said:
It also depends on what there is to eat. I don't like anything that's too spicy as it will make one thirsty, curry dries me out, nor greasy foods, nor milk as one has to be aware of the throat condition, etc. etc. Everyone needs to find out what works for themselves.

I usually sip coffee or water while practicing.  I imagine this is frowned upon when performing?

Last edited by lowonthetotem (2008-09-06 13:47:20)

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#32 2008-09-06 20:55:58

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Jeffery, Great topic!

lowonthetotem wrote:

It is even worse if someone is actually listening.  One thing that came to mind within a couple of months of picking this instrument up is play for some people.  I volunteer at a hospice and thought it would be cool to be able to play for some of the patients.  Lack of skill notwithstanding, I am not sure that I will ever be able to get up in front of people.  It has always been a problem for me.  In college I wrote poetry and actually won some awards for it, but when it came time to read the piece in front of people, I never failed to stumble over the words, interject stupid "Um's" and "Uh's," and generally make a train wreck of myself.

Much power to you! I think most people want to share their unique experiences of living. Some how, under that vast canvas of joy and pain, the shared experience can make the world a better place.

My motivations are pure.  I'd like to bring some tranguil music to some folks dealing with a less than tranguil time in their life.  I don't want to "put on a show" or be praised.  I just wondered if there are any words of wisdom from people who perform regularly.

Are there strategies that can be encorporated?  Are there exercises, mental exercises maybe, that can be done to help get one over the hump of being overly concerned with what every single person thinks?  I understand that practice makes perfect and certain amount of confidence can be accomplished through proficiency, and I am working dilligently on that.  Maybe I am looking for a magic spell that doesn't exist, but I thought I'd ask.

Please feel free to move this post if this is not the proper venue.  Thanks in advance.

Having been a performer for over half my life, I would say that you should first connect with what it is about this instrument that you love.  Those precious moments at 4 or 5am. What is that about? Only you know. Hone into that and then share that with your audience. If that is your process, it won't matter whether anyone will like it or not. A bell will ring even if there is no one in the forest to hear it. When I'm performing for a paying audience, I always hope that at least 50% of the audience will connect with me. Who knows what the other half may bring to the show. In less formal settings, I'm sure you'll fair better (No one from the New York Times will write a bad review about you! smile

Lots of great advice on this thread. To paraphrase Lance - the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Enjoy the deep breathing my friend, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#33 2008-09-06 23:50:38

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Lowonthetotem, I'm sure what you are doing in the hospice is having a wonderful effect on people. You have to believe that. For example, the first step to becoming a professional is to declare yourself to be one. Then you must start thinking like one and then take the appropriate action and start "acting" like one. In the same manner, you should declare to yourself that you are what you are: someone who plays a bamboo flute in an area that others can hear it and it makes them forget about their suffering for a few minutes and is an act of healing kindness that will stay with them throughout the day. Probably by far the highlight of the day for some of them. Make up a name that suits you for what you do. One that you can live with and then call yourself that. Why not?  The others around you have a title (name) for themselves which lets them know their relationship there and their function: doctors, nurses, cooks, therapist, surgeon,patients, etc. Everyone has this identity so you should  too. Maybe you're called a "volunteer" and this is what this "volunteer " does: plays a bamboo flute to help others forget about their pain. Maybe you could line up three japanese or chinese charcters that mean "volunteer-bamboo-therapist" and you have a special name for yourself. You're just another type of "doctor" offering your own brand of therapy. In a hospital, as you know, every kind gesture, word or smile means the world. Literally. Don't forget that (every) thought changes the world; every breath changes the world; every word (sound) changes the world. It's so amazingly easy to make someone happy if it's the goal of your day. You have a power that the self centered person can never realize. And at the end of the day looking back on your day is the best reward. I'm sure you have a glow, an aura about you that you don't realize. Your kindness means everything to the patients. Shakuhachi is a WIN WIN for them and you. There's not many situations in the world where you find this. So relax, and do what you naturally are doing. This is just my suggestion. People "performing regularly" like you mentioned, view themselves as "someone who performs regularly" and they fill their own shoes in the same manner.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#34 2008-09-07 10:21:55

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

chikuzen wrote:

Hi Michael
This is very interesting. I have a good friend here in Japan who spends much time listening to music. Nearly all he listens to is gramophone records (78's). He says that compared to modern recordings, the old gramophone-era recordings have much less accurate pitch (I mean, inaccurate relative pitch, i.e. playing out of tune), and also much less accurate timing. But he says a far higher percentage of those recordings are "musical" than are modern recordings. That was interesting to hear. It can be easy for a musician who trains hard to think that timing and pitch make music. But these guys were all over the place, and yet, more musical. A dilemma for the intellect.

He actually largely blames music education for this demusicalization. Concentration on the parts, rather than the whole. He was a pipe organ maker, and he also saw this trend away from holistic pipe organ making recently (last century or so), and notes it in violins, pianos etc. I have spoken with an oud maker who says the same about the Arabic world, and many people here in Japan also. People might think it is just because people look back to the "good old days", but I think it is something much more than that. It seems quite global. It might very well be due to recordings? A large part of the instrument-making change is connected to desire to play to larger audiences (volume takes precedence over tone colour - incidentally, volume is a quantity, tone colour a quality, and this reveals another interesting aspect of the phenomenon). But as for the result which recordings have has, it is interesting what your friend has pointed out. The consequence it may have had on people listen.

Still, whatever generalisations may exist between past times and present, we can still strive to play in a whole way. That is what has always struck me in the playing of the great musicians I have met.

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-07 10:23:19)

#35 2008-09-07 11:24:20

edosan
Edomologist

This is largely a red herring/straw man.

What makes something 'musical' is one's subjective opinion. All the rest amounts to nattering.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#36 2008-09-07 23:01:57

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Dear Edosan
Since we are subjects, I can't imagine how appreciation of music could be anything other than subjective. However to say that subjective experience is invalid, would surely sweep aside all art. Similarly whereas modern science is a supposedly objective science of quantities (measurable), an holistic approach comes through qualities. One great scientist trying to convince the (fanatical) scientific community of the validity of a qualitative approach, is Brian Goodwin. He is a most wonderful man. His books are also worth a read.

Justin

#37 2008-09-07 23:34:24

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

What makes something 'musical' is one's subjective opinion. All the rest amounts to nattering.

Kind of cynical but I have to agree. Some people like primitive, raw music. Others like refined, delicate music. Just a matter of personal opinion. Some people like intellectual others seek "passion". Just listen to and play the music you like and don't worry about it.

Right now I am listening to Ornette Coleman. Love it. Lots of people hate it.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#38 2008-09-08 03:20:13

edosan
Edomologist

Justin wrote:

Dear Edosan
Since we are subjects, I can't imagine how appreciation of music could be anything other than subjective. However to say that subjective experience is invalid, would surely sweep aside all art. Similarly whereas modern science is a supposedly objective science of quantities (measurable), an holistic approach comes through qualities. One great scientist trying to convince the (fanatical) scientific community of the validity of a qualitative approach, is Brian Goodwin. He is a most wonderful man. His books are also worth a read.

Justin

I didn't say subjective experience was invalid (did I?); I said it was determinative.

And it is.

From my point of view, this outlook is not cynical, just observant.

Last edited by edosan (2008-09-08 03:21:08)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#39 2008-09-08 09:25:28

nyokai
shihan
Website

It is true that in the broad view of things musical quality is completely subjective.

However, within many traditions there are standards of musicality, with specific criteria for determining which performer is a "better" musician. And, a listener may have also developed individual criteria which, though subjective at core, may be APPLIED in a somewhat objective manner when comparing performances.

For me personally, the "best" musicians are those who have integrated the music so well into their bodies that they can be completely relaxed and free with it -- even in the context of very specifically determined notes, rhythms, etc. I believe you can hear this freedom as a constant subtle dance of sound -- a performer literally "playing" the music rather than presenting it, recreating it, or "getting it right." No matter the style, when I hear this level of musicianship I am moved.

Modern recording has eroded this way of viewing musicianship. As a recording engineer I used to record and edit lots of classical music, and it was extremely frustrating because the conductor or other artistic leader often insisted on takes that were "correct" but not necessarily interesting performances. Often the musical flow of a piece was created in the editing, out of small "correct" fragments that I had to stitch together in an attempt to create the feeling of a free-flowing performance. In the old days, when editing was much more difficult, a record was exactly that: a RECORD of a performance, with its freedom and excitement and even the interesting randomness of its inevitable rough edges.

Coming back to self-consciousness, relaxation, etc: the better you know your material, the more relaxed you will be and the more subtly-dancing freedom you can bring to your expression of it. How you master your material is up to you: some people are sticklers about pitch, others are not. With shakuhachi, I think dynamic range, phrasing, and ma are at least as important as pitch, and it could be that some of these qualities were emphasized in the past over consistent pitch. Everybody is going to have a different mix of skills and standards, but the important thing, I think, is to get to where you are relaxed and assured and really playing.

#40 2008-09-08 10:46:16

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Nyokai

nyokai wrote:

However, within many traditions there are standards of musicality, with specific criteria for determining which performer is a "better" musician. And, a listener may have also developed individual criteria which, though subjective at core, may be APPLIED in a somewhat objective manner when comparing performances.

This is sounds like what I was referring to when I said "Concentration on the parts". This I believe has the danger of producing "music-less" music. Or, "non-musical sound". This sounds to me like judging music in terms of technicality. I totally know what you mean though, as I also listen to that. We are trained as classical shakuhachi players, so we are deeply involved in the specific nuances, phrasing and so on. We can hear who can do it "better" or not, who is doing it "right" or "wrong". There is an appreciation in that also. But I think that is perhaps particularly a musician's way of listening. Sometimes even, our training can block our ears, as when the player may be playing with great musicality but breaking the "rules". (In that case the untrained audience may be able to hear the musicality of the performer far easier that us, as our holistic-ears may have been closed as a reaction to poor technique). This reminds me of a story one of my teachers told me. When he was young, he had to study a lot in the philosophy college. They were only kids, but they knew well many detailed teachings, listing 5 such as such qualities, 9 stages of such and such and so on. Then they would go to an enlightened yogi in the next village, and ask him some questions, and he would give the answers in terms of the 6 such as such qualities, 7 stages of such and such and so on, getting the details mixed up with all sorts of philosophical mistakes! It was very funny for them. However, since he was enlightened, actually his speech was infinitely more useful than the words of the books, since it came from his direct realisation.

The man who told me this story himself is now an accomplished yogi. He studied a lot of books because, in his words, people ask him a lot of questions! In that respect it serves him very usefully to know the detailed words, to help him express and communicate his realisation. Perhaps that then is also the usefulness of us learning the detailed "parts" of our musical tradition. Without fundamental musicality, those parts are merely empty. Music-less sounds. But when a great musicality is sounded through those parts, we have something wonderful.

nyokai wrote:

For me personally, the "best" musicians are those who have integrated the music so well into their bodies that they can be completely relaxed and free with it -- even in the context of very specifically determined notes, rhythms, etc. I believe you can hear this freedom as a constant subtle dance of sound -- a performer literally "playing" the music rather than presenting it, recreating it, or "getting it right." No matter the style, when I hear this level of musicianship I am moved.

This sounds like what I was meaning. This sounds like real music.

It is also very interesting what you say about the recording process. Seeing as the music which most people hear is a product of such a recording process, rather than live, that then surely must have had a great impact.

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-09-08 10:49:47)

#41 2008-10-06 08:42:11

lowonthetotem
Website

Well, I've gotten started.  Yesterday I went to my Sangha's weekly meditation gathering and played Kyorei as people came in and got situated.  I was pretty nervous and sweating at first.  You could hear my heartbeat coming through as I trailed the notes off.  It passed pretty quickly though.  I got lost for about 5 or 10 seconds and left out one phrase, but nobody noticed.  Everyone was complimentary after the meditation and Dharma talk was over.  Apparently, it inspired one nice lady to sing the opening chant, calling the Sangha together in mindfulness.  She had a very lovely voice.  My treacher asked me to continue to bring the flute and offered some suggestions.

Many thanks to everyone here and their encouraging words.  Many people bring flowers each week.  It was nice to bring some music to offer along with them.  If it had not been for this thread, I doubt I would have ever had the courage to make this step.  I've sent an email to the volunteer coordinator at the hospice, so hopefully, that will be my next "venue."  Yesterday's experience went a long way to evaporate my jitters.  Thanks again guy and gals.  Instead of the regular Metta meditation at the end of the sitting session, we were encouraged to consider our Benefactors.  I tried to recall as many of you as I could and offer thanks for all your help.  If you get the time and opportunity, maybe consider how your encouraging words here transferred into a positive influence on the meditation experience of my Sangha brothers and sisters and how it will, hopefully, transfer into some comfort for my freinds at the hospice.  Namaste.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

Board footer