#1 2008-09-08 04:07:05

Bruce Hunter

The Practical Shakuhachi - James Nyoraku Schlefer

The Practical Shakuhachi
Etudes for Technical Development
James Nyoraku Schlefer
2008 Kyo Shin An Music Publishing BMI

www.nyoraku.com

"The Practical Shakuhachi" is a welcome companion to the author's previous "Shakuhachi Workbook". The layout is consistent and clear and this volume's layout is entirely right-to-left which makes things flow easily while working through it. 

Part I presents Warm Up and Long Tone Practice, Progressive Interval Practice, Meri Exercises, and Etudes.
Part II follows with Western diatonic scales, Intonation, Articulation; and a generous list of major scales, minor scales, and arpeggios. Also included are some Third Octave fingerings in an appendix.

This is not a book for reading, it's a book for playing! The amount of text is no more than necessary, which allows for ample white space on each page, which makes for excellent readability. Material is laid out in consistent, logical order, and the lack of clutter allows one to concentrate on the work at hand.

"The Practical Shakuhachi" needs to be in your practice area, and/or in your "away" bag, right next to "Shakuhachi Workbook".

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#2 2008-09-08 14:09:15

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

Re: The Practical Shakuhachi - James Nyoraku Schlefer

I have been using the previous book by James Nyoraku Schlefer and was very happy to see this one. This books is a perfect follow up to "Shakuhachi Workbook". The material in these two books are useful in so many ways. I believe that "The Practical Shakuhachi" can open up the door for many people approaching this instrument whom may only have a common knowledge of music. The scales and songs provided are more readily recognizable by western ears and I think this can give a certain instant familiarity between the Japanese notation system and the notes they represent. These two books are the only shakuhachi workbooks that I continuously come back to and I know I will draw from them when I start teaching.

My site flutedojo - jinashi shakuhachi bamboo flute maker.

#3 2008-09-08 15:31:51

BrianP
Website

Re: The Practical Shakuhachi - James Nyoraku Schlefer

I got this book at the KiSuiAn shakuhachi camp and it is excellent!!  A great workout and tone builder!

BrianP

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » The Practical Shakuhachi - James Nyoraku Schlefer

Board footer