Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-11 09:37:34

Vevolis
Website

Hanko Design in Kanji

First off, I apologise for the rampant number of possibly useless posts; I don't know an awful lot and it'd probably be best if I just lurked around and read for a while...

But i'm working on a music project and would like to have a graphic of "Resseimen" or "furious power", so i'm told. Would anyone A) Be able to confirm this as true and B) Show me what it would look like in Kanji for the use on a square Hanko? There seem to be many well versed members in this field. (Not to mention, is Kanji the traditional dialect for Hanko's?)

I'm stringing a vocoder through a Japanese menpo via wireless lavaliere microphone. The style of menpo is “resseimen” and reflects what I’m trying to portray.

I often wonder if my idea's are an abomination of good taste. tongue

Thank you,

#2 2008-09-12 09:18:39

No-sword
Website

Re: Hanko Design in Kanji

Hey Vevolis,

The kanji for "resseimen" are 烈勢面. The "ressei" 烈勢 is pretty close to "furious power", the "men" 面 means "mask". (Anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about, try doing a Google image search with those characters)

Hankos were invented in China before Japan had even come up with an alternative to kanji (hanzi), so they're the traditional characters used in that sense. Nowadays in Japan you can find most anything on a hanko, though kanji are probably still more common than anything else.

I can't help you with a cool graphic, though, as I have terrible handwriting.

Matt / no-sword.jp

#3 2008-09-16 09:44:12

Vevolis
Website

Re: Hanko Design in Kanji

Thanks! Maybe i'll try this in a lino block print.

Board footer