Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-01 00:04:56

kyoreiflutes
Website

Tengai (Komuso Straw Hat); a possible third use?

I didn't know where else to post such a thing, so my apologies.

I was thinking about buying a Tengai soon, and I started thinking about playing in the wind, and how difficult it can be, even if it's not that strong a wind. Then I thought about the fact that the Tengai could possibly aid you a fair amount when it's windy, especially if it's not all that windy.

Has anyone ever thought about this, or experienced it? I know that there's the Anonimity factor, and also the "could be a spy" factor, but I've never heard of "playing in a breeze" factor.

Thoughts?

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2006-03-02 22:48:22

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: Tengai (Komuso Straw Hat); a possible third use?

There could be something to that.  I've never worn a tengai so cannot answer that question.  There is some information on tengai in Sanford's article "Shakuhachi Zen: The Fuke-shu and Komuso" in Monumenta Nipponica 32, 1977.  Sanford says that up until about 1700 the tengai was no more than a fairly shallow sedge hat and from about 1720 on it was transformed into its more familiar form, "a sort of inverted reed basket which covered the wearer's entire face."  According to the rules of the Fuke sect, the komuso monk was never supposed to remove his tengai except within the precints of a Fuke temple and "if caught outside in a rainstorm, he was not to open an umbrella over the tengai."  He also notes that unauthorized use of the tengai was a punishible offence, but that enforcement of that rule grew lax over time and that samurai traveling incognito took to wearing the tengai.  Nothing about blowing in the wind though...  I was trying to see if Kaempher mentioned komuso in his Tokugawa era diary but the only thing close I could find was a description of his visit to Fushimi, south of Miyako (Kyoto) where he writes "We also saw various strangely clad beggars: some dressed up in mad costumes, some walking on iron stilts, and others with deep buckets on their heads with green trees.  Still others were singing, whistling, playing the flute, or striking chimes" (Kaempher's Japan: Tokugawa Culture Observed, Book 5, p. 318); the deep bucket hat guys could have been something else altogether...

#3 2006-03-03 15:28:27

kyoreiflutes
Website

That's interesting that the Tengai didn't come in until the 17oo's. I assumed they had been around for much longer. I wonder how they hid thier identities beforehand, since the Sedge isn't all that "covering" in comparison. I wonder, also, if the origins of the Tengai was more for spying and coverage than for being "nothing" or an "empty vessel".

See, I'm in the SCA, and my personna is Japanese. Okay, don't make fun...there aren't many non-Eorupean characters in the SCA, so they like my outfits, and how often do I get to wear my several kimono in public? lol. This year, I'm thinking about having a komuso personna, and I was going to get the Tengai, but they're a little pricey for me right now, and it takes a month to get it. Plus, I see now that they aren't "period": in the SCA, your personna should be no later than 1600, although there are some late-1600 folks now. ANYway...it'll be much easier for me to find a "standard" Japanese hat than a Tengai, and for much cheaper, so this kind of works for me, as far as the SCA thing goes.

Does anyone know much about Japanese hats? I'm going to do some more studying, but I've found that most sites just have text, and not as many photos, but I'll keep looking. Basically, there are so many different shapes...did the Japanese prefer the more Chinese pointed "squashed cone" hat, or the more rounded "flat basket" hats? Did early Komuso prefer one over the other? Would Komuso have worn pretty much the same hat as a Farmer, or Rice Farmer? Are Japanese hats much different than, say, a Vietnamese hat?

-Eddie

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-03-03 16:00:17)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#4 2006-03-08 20:30:49

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

You might want to take a look at the photos of prints showing different types of street musicians in the Edo Period in their various hats (as well as photos and drawings of musicians with their hats from other time periods) in William P. Malm's Traditional Japanese Music and Musical Instruments, the one source on Japanese traditional music which most university libraries are likely to have.  Specifically, plates 19 and 20 in the most recent edition (2000) of the book, which was originally published in 1959, under the title Japanese Music and Musical Instruments.

Board footer